Quantcast

Webcams?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
With the wife traveling more (and scheduled to be on the road 2-3 weeks per month for the next 6mo or so), I'm looking at upgrading our video-Skype capabilities and I'm running into some issues/questions. Our computers:

Mine:
P8700 C2D chip, 2.53ghz, 4gb RAM with ~1mb upload speeds (can upgrade to 1.5mb if necessary), integrated SD webcam

Hers:
~i5m something, 1.7ghz (turbo boosts up to 2.something), 4gb RAM, upload speeds dependent on the hotel.

We purchased a Logitech C310 webcam for her to use, and so far it's given us quite a bit of trouble. It will broadcast in HD (720p), but I think that her computer isn't quite fast enough to do the HD processing, and there's actually some problem with the communication between skype and the camera, so that when it tries to switch to 720p, it just crashes Skype requiring a full reboot. So now I'm looking at getting her a webcam that will handle some of the compression activities, allowing her slower processor some breathing room. The only thing is there's a surprising lack of information out there... (And the C310 should be fine on mine, since mine surpasses the 2.4ghz requirement to process the HD signal)

H.264 encoding webcams
There are several webcams from lesser-known manufacturers that natively encode H.264 (codec which Skype uses). Reviews on them are pretty few and far between, along with what specs are actually required (some say 2.0ghz, some say 2.4ghz, but I'm not sure if her computer could handle it all on "boost" with all other programs shut down. Generally, she's had the most success with shutting down everything before trying to video skype, which tells me that when it's worked it's been entirely on "boost"). My only question with this is, what about other programs and is there any danger of H.264 "going away" as the general video codec? Google has already hinted at this, and so I'm wondering whether it's worth focusing on an H.264-encoding webcam if there are other options out there?

Other encoding webcams
I've gleaned that a few of the other webcams do some native encoding, like the Logitech C910. It's *not* H.264, which means it might not be as good for Skype, but might be better at other applications? We'd like to use this for Skype (obviously), but as things move towards Google Hangout, I'm wondering whether this might be a better option? Since it does some encoding I would assume that the computer specs required aren't as high (as the non-encoding C310), but they still might be higher than my wife's computer.... Unfortunately there's a frustrating lack of information with regards to what it's native compression capabilities are.

So far, we've found out that:

a) My wife's computer is *almost* fast enough to run HD via C310. We've had 4 video conversations, and one of them was entirely in 720p. Two instances of crashing 1-3min into each conversation, and one was 640x480 (I'm guessing that the hotel internet wasn't fast enough). While 25% in HD isn't spectacular, it's telling me that it is possible, or just underneath the specs.
b) Hotel internet is mostly fast enough. As noted, in 3/4 of the cases this week the connection was fast enough for her to broadcast (or try to broadcast) in HD. Obviously when her internet is too slow, there's really nothing that can be done.

So....... any thoughts/suggestions/etc? Anyone with experience in these webcams, or some knowledge of the codec behind them? No, overclocking her computer is not an option due to it being a work computer, although her IT dept is probably dumb enough that they'd never realize it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Its pretty hard to say with so many factors. How old is your Skype software - one of the prior versions would crash all the time especially if you had the browser extension in Firefox installed (and I think there was another buggy version after that too). Have you upgraded to the latest Skype that just came out?

I would think an i5 would have enough processing power. Maybe the hotel connections aren't that great. H.264 is not going away. These days even the Intel HD graphics can do hardware accelerated H.264 decoding (but not encoding). I am sure your wife's laptop can even play an above blueray spec hardware decoded 1080p H.264 local stream via the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder.

C310? The $10-15 extra for the C510/C525 is well worth the better image quality. I wouldn't go higher than that unless you have an especially challenging audio environment where the better mic setup would be worthwhile.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Both running W7 64, and both Skypes are up to date with the latest (.156) version.

Well, I'm definitely thinking that it's her processing power, and I've read somewhere about how the lower chip speed on some of the "i" series chips weren't enough to process the HD video, as it's not able to be separated into separate cores or threads... It really does come down to single core processing speed, which is where I'm pretty sure she's struggling. She had better luck when turning off/shutting down everything but Skype, but at certain times it still wasn't able to handle it (especially as it tried to switch from SD to HD). I'm just wondering whether one of the webcams with native compression embedded into it would free up some of her (limited) resources?

Skype has constantly said that the connection speed was fast enough for HD calls... She's usually in a pretty high-end Hampton Inn in the middle of nowhere Nebraska/Kansas/Utah.

IH8Rice - You've apparently never had to rely on video chat to stay in touch daily with a loved one. To go from the occasional phone call while traveling (when I started traveling to China in 2004) to a daily video chat (while she's traveling in 2011) is a huge step in reducing the sh!ttiness of frequent travel, and higher quality video makes it even better. :)

edit: Although it looks like others are having the same freezing problem when skype jumps from SD to HD?

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Video-Chat-Applications-Non/C910-freezes-in-Skype-after-1-2-minutes-on-line-Windows-7-64-bit/td-p/519433/page/2

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It would be an encoding problem probably as I've played back this above blue-ray spec 1080p test file even on first gen i3 mobile with Intel HD hardware acceleration completely smooth and low CPU use - http://www.filesonic.com/file/11960723/Planet_Earth_From_Pole_to_Pole_1080p_sample.mkv

I've never used a hardware accelerated consumer HD webcam so I can't say how well they work. Its kinda silly though since the optics on the webcams are so small and low-quality. I would think a 480p with a better webcam would be better than crappy webcam at 720p. Even the C510 is a nice step-up from most built-in laptop webcams.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
IH8Rice - You've apparently never had to rely on video chat to stay in touch daily with a loved one.
i have and found the 640x480 is good enough when HD isnt a option. though when viewed in full screen on my 15" laptop, the quality isnt so hot.

sorry cant help more. my portable webcam isnt HD but my fiance's integrated cam is and we have no issues on a good connection.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
The more I read up on this, the more it seems like it's a Logitech driver issue, as others (with better computer specs) are also having issues (with this and higher-level cameras).

We're going to try to disable the Logitech driver tonight and see what happens.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Get her a mac...:D
I've never tried the C310 but I know for a fact that even the $40 C510 works better than the built-in webcam on the iMac or Macbook Pro. I haven't used a built-in webcam from any brand that isn't a POS compared to an average quality aftermarket webcam.

Also the Logitech webcam is MORE broken on OSX, no 720p mode period - SD only.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
But there's probably a legion of Mac fans out there telling you you don't *need* 720p, that 640x480 is good enough, and that Macs are superior because they only allow you to record SD...
Or the fanatical might positively tout lack of a native Apple blu-ray solution on multimedia oriented platform half a decade after the format was launched (third party OSX solutions are now finally available - only option prior to that was to run Windows on the Mac for Bluray). New Mac Mini with NO optical drive period = invalid HTPC, even Engadget fanboys panned it - 6/10:rofl:

You could argue in the average home theater applications people won't get significant returns on 1080p vs 720p (and that would be especially true on a low quality source like a 1080p webcam).

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Personally I wouldn't touch Logitec web-cams with a forty foot barge pole. Have you looked at what cams Skype endorses/sells on its web site?
I find Skype a bit buggy in general when using video calls. I'm always told my internet connection is not fast enough. Yeah, whatever you say guys. Still Skype is a lifesaver, not to mention a money saver.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Personally I wouldn't touch Logitec web-cams with a forty foot barge pole. Have you looked at what cams Skype endorses/sells on its web site?
I find Skype a bit buggy in general when using video calls. I'm always told my internet connection is not fast enough. Yeah, whatever you say guys. Still Skype is a lifesaver, not to mention a money saver.
Yeah, and that Logitech is one of the "skype HD approved" ones.....

Update: So it's not actually an i5 processor, but rather a C2D U9600 1.6ghz, which probably explains why it's not fast enough (most of the time) to compress the HD video signal. We're going to switch that over to my computer to see how it does, and might try one of the other cameras with on-board processing to see if her processor can handle it. The most annoying aspect of this is that skype couldn't tell that her processor wasn't fast enough, and kept trying to switch to HD (which would pretty much take out the whole system).

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
The only brand I'll avoid like the plague is M$FT. Got my sister one, and it wouldn't even connect to Skype without her signing up for a Windows Live acct... What should have been a simple "plug in, install drivers, go" turned into a 2 hour phone conversation as I tried to talk her through all of that.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The only brand I'll avoid like the plague is M$FT. Got my sister one, and it wouldn't even connect to Skype without her signing up for a Windows Live acct... What should have been a simple "plug in, install drivers, go" turned into a 2 hour phone conversation as I tried to talk her through all of that.
Its not too hard to sign-up for a Google, Live, or iTunes account. It takes like 5-10 minutes.

Lots of products have annoying requirements like that for normal use - iProducts, Android, etc. I would agree there is little reason to require one for a web camera.

And the MS webcams work in Linux with Skype without a Live account, so you don't necessarily need one.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Supposedly if you just use the USB Video device software built into Windows you're ok, but the moment you try to load the *actual* driver, it physically blocks the camera from working with Skype till you sign up for Live. It's infuriating to have a product *not work* until you artificially pad M$FT's numbers by being forced to sign up for something that you don't want and don't need (and won't use). When trying to walk my sister through it (she's somewhat technically challenged) I couldn't figure out why the camera would work in testing, but as soon as you tried to actually use it, there was a 'camera not recognized' error.

I'm fine with having to install driver software, or (digitial) camera specific software if you want to control it or utilize some of it's features, but don't force me to sign up for something just because it allows you to claim "half a billion users!!"

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'm fine with having to install driver software, or (digitial) camera specific software if you want to control it or utilize some of it's features, but don't force me to sign up for something just because it allows you to claim "half a billion users!!"
Again, its not any different than various Apple iProducts but that doesn't make it any less annoying. In fact having to install iTunes and register for an account is even worse.

I guess you could use an Android device without a Google account but it wouldn't be as useful.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Its possible he didn't note the brand. We are talking about Logitech from Switzerland. Not this brand:

http://www.logitec.co.jp
I hadn't heard of that company before and from a quick look at the web-site it doesn't look like they make web-cams. Anyway my experience of Logitech is from my old man's pos ones that he's had in Australia. He had one that was just pants all round and then went out and bought a supposedly better one that was just as crap. Fool me once....they must love old people at computer shops.
Edit- they do make web cameras but under the brand name Elecom, for obvious reasons I guess.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
buy one from Best Buy or Walmart. they have a good return policy if the cam doesnt work out....or return it after you find out it works and then buy it online for a cheaper price.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Update #2

Picked up a Facevsion N1 for the wife's computer (actually, her work picked it up for her since they're looking at doing more video-conferencing). It does on-board H.264 encoding, has dual microphones, and easily pushed an HD signal on my wife's C2D 1.6ghz laptop even when she was multi-tasking (chrome open, editing a PP document, etc). It also broadcast an HD signal at quite a bit less than the 1.2mb/s "requirement" that the specs list as well (we only have 1mb/s upload, and we were able to skype each other over the same connection with one crappy onboard camera SD and one HD signal). The wide-angle worked well when the laptop was sitting on her lap, and I'm assuming for a professional setting (group video-call, for instance) it would be perfect.

Compared side by side with the Logitech C310, the video quality of the C310 was far superior on SD (we couldn't get both to switch over to HD due to bandwidth), but I'm not really sure why. I don't know whether it's the something hardware related (bigger sensor?) or just that the Logitech's video software was superior (ie, artificial sharpening, color saturation, etc). The N1 uses default windows video control, meaning all of the video adjustment is up to the user.

Lastly, both of them are a vast improvement over either my built-in camera or even an older Logitech that we've used (even on SD). The Logitech at 640x480 looks great, and if we hadn't been able to figure out the N1 we probably would've just gone with something similar (and force-limited it to only 640x480 in the settings).

edit: Oh, and the thing is built like an F'ing tank, and has a detachable USB cable (standard USB) so you can use a longer cord if necessary.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Update #3: Just figured that I'd throw this out there for anyone who might have had the same questions I did. With the H.264 onboard compression on the N1, even the puny C2D U9600 1.6ghz processor that the wife's computer has will not only push a 720p signal, but it'll also do it while multitasking (Outlook, PowerPoint, etc). I'm wondering exactly how low specs it'll actually work with (as far as 720p), but I'd bet just about any C2D would work, and maybe even some of the more powerful older single-core chips as well (especially if you're not multi-tasking).

I have to say I'm happy with both that and the C310, and my processor is fast enough to both push the 720p signal and multitask at the same time. It seems like the normal upload/download speeds necessary are ~1Mbps, so a lot of the quality is dependent on the hotel's internet.

This came up because I saw that Logitech's new C920 not only offers onboard H.264 compression (finally!!) but will also now push a 1080p signal with minimal hardware requirements (2.4ghz C2D, 2GB ram, etc), with the only limiting factor being internet speeds.

Now the hard part is figuring out what kind of computers (ancient) my family members have and whether they'll push a halfway decent signal with one of the newer webcams with onboard compression. I don't need a 1080p signal, but I'm pretty sure that my parents are still pushing a ~320/240 signal or so...

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Update........... #4

So apparently webcams and cat-puke don't mix. But on the upside, I get to test out a shiny new Logitech C920 webcam!! :shakefist:

Picture looks similar (so I've been told) to the C310, with the only real difference being that it's a wider-angle lens. It does have an auto-focus to it, but it that works from ~2" to ~18", so if you're sitting with it at a normal distance away there's really no more focusing to be done, as it's a small enough aperture that *everything* is in focus anyway.

The H.264 encoding is definitely pretty sweet. It apparently only kicks in for the 720p video, which is a bit annoying since below that (with Skype, anyway) it's still taking up ~65% or so of my CPU's usage when it's at 640x480. Then it bumps up to 720p and you can watch the CPU usage drop to ~25%. Occasionally it would drop the usage down into the teens, and I don't have that powerful of a processor. I honestly wonder how crummy of a computer this would actually work with... The 640x480 would be the toughest part, and after it bumped up to 720p the load on the processor actually goes down.