Quantcast

website questions

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
ok, ciaran graciously donated a website for me to use for my son's riding exploits. the domain name is set and ready for design. my question is how to do a basic web page.

right now i'm using web page wizard of MS Office. it seems pretty simple. so i just go through the wizard, put in the text/pics that i want...but how do i link the vids and stuff to the web page? is it dynamic? can i just change it online or do i have to reload the webpage everytime i update it? i've never done this before so any help would be greatly appreciated.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
manimal said:
ok, ciaran graciously donated a website for me to use for my son's riding exploits. the domain name is set and ready for design. my question is how to do a basic web page.

right now i'm using web page wizard of MS Office. it seems pretty simple. so i just go through the wizard, put in the text/pics that i want...but how do i link the vids and stuff to the web page? is it dynamic? can i just change it online or do i have to reload the webpage everytime i update it? i've never done this before so any help would be greatly appreciated.
ok, for hosting the videos/pics, you are going to need to upload them to a separate server that ciaran gave you. (ex: http://www.tuzakey.com/~manziman) is where I host all my images. so, you put those on a separate site which is still under the same domain...and just link it to your website/where you want it to be.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
manimal said:
right now i'm using web page wizard of MS Office. it seems pretty simple. so i just go through the wizard, put in the text/pics that i want...but how do i link the vids and stuff to the web page? is it dynamic? can i just change it online or do i have to reload the webpage everytime i update it?
word's html export will work. easiest way to link in word is probably to:

a) upload the video, so it will be something like http://www.blackrune.com/manimal/video.mov . figure out what its address is, copy it to your clipboard.

b) in word, go to Insert -> Hyperlink. paste in the address you copied above in the link to field, add text as appropriate in the next field.

you'll be editing files on your own computer, so you'll have to upload changed files each time. it is possible to edit directly on the server but that's probably not something you want to get into at this point.