Quantcast

Wedding Beer Choice

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I thought this was going to be easy. I love beer, and we're going to need some to get through the wedding night. (Finally having our 'real' wedding after the paperwork was filed about 2 years ago...)

Alas, we've begun considering the fact that our guests will be largely her family, who are New Englanders through and through, and might not appreciate my personal beer choices. We're talking Ballantine drinkers here. Plus, we need stuff that drinks well straight from the bottle.

So what's your recommendation? We can serve 2 choices. I'm thinking a pilsner and a darker beer. I love wheat beers, but between the naive tastes of the in-laws and the lack of a glass to pour them in, I don't think that's a good idea. (Unless we do Blue Moon, very mild wheat beer, and provide orange slices to jam in the bottle neck??)

We live next to a Beverages and More (Californians rejoyce), an alcoholic wonderland with almost any and all imports. Great stuff from all of Europe and beyond, so I have a LOT of choices.

Suggestions? I was honestly thinking Pacifico and Negra Modelo at this point...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Wish I had choices like that. Maybe something pretty mainstream for the plebs like Heineken and something more adventurous (preferably darker) for the 2nd. Maybe 2 dozen of various brews as a secret stash to bring out at various times of the night for people who you know would appreciate it to enjoy.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wish I had choices like that. Maybe something pretty mainstream for the plebs like Heineken and something more adventurous (preferably darker) for the 2nd. Maybe 2 dozen of various brews as a secret stash to bring out at various times of the night for people who you know would appreciate it to enjoy.
I'm with you on the first idea...but the caterer won't let me do the mixed bag thing, unless we fork over for another bartender for every 2 beers.

We're having an open house at our place the day before where I've got a mix of good German wheat beers and Belgian trappist ales, however...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Rhode Islanders. They're excited about the Narragansett revival.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I don't have a specific recommendation except to say don't worry about it.

My buddies are as big of beer snobs as anyone here... and they didn't touch the beer. I had Deschute's Black Butte (porter) and Mirrorpond (pale ale) and a third beer that was good, but I forget.

We had tequila, Jack, and more, but it was the Vodka that went first -- 5 liters in 15 minutes.

As for you, don't drink too much -- you might not even have a chance. (I wound up drinking only for the toasts.) Make sure you can make love to your woman at the end of the night.

You can drink your favorite beers whenever. Yes, the wedding is about you and your woman, but I just think that the food and drink are the least important part of the night.

For us, it was the ceremony and DJ... both were awesome. We let them do their thing with no interference from us and people months later tell us they rocked.

CONGRATS man! It's going to be awesome so don't stress! :)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Thanks, man. No stress, really...there's also going to be a lot of good wine. Alas, no hard liquor allowed at the venue, which is fine with me b/c we're paying for every cent of this... (well, the wine was my wine snob cousin's gift, which was super cool of her.)

I'm thinking the Pacifico and Negra combo will work well...exotic enough for me, good quality beer, very Californian (this is a destination wedding for both families) and cheap/available.

We're even doing the music ourselves via Ipod and a borrowed sound system...hell, my best bud is officiating... For us, though, the food and drink are huge. We went way out to ensure it was going to be memorably tasty gourmet stuff. Ended up being less exotic than we'd planned, once we considered family tastes, but with a local flavor and done by a really talented caterer.

As for making love...I have no doubts that Steph will be entirely incapable of that at the end of the night. She's out of the game by 10 PM most nights without stress, alcohol, or anything else. I gotta get my play by day.

It will be awesome, though...really looking forward to it. Just hashing out the last details now. Thanks for the encouragement...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I don't mean to rain on your plans with the following comments, just take them as you will...

We're even doing the music ourselves via Ipod and a borrowed sound system..
BAD IDEA! Unless you somehow really know what you're doing. I mean really. I went to a friend's wedding two months ago. She has great taste in music, but she did her own playlist and it sucked. She knew what she was doing, but she's no DJ. It really is an art and skill.

Maybe go online, look up DJ recommended playlists or somethng?

How close is the wedding? Are food details already worked out? Nice gift from your wine snob cousin!

Others might remember the food and drink, but most brides and grooms we spoke to (including us) didn't really remember it. You wind up roaming during dinner chatting with people, thanking them for being there and all that. I honestly don't remember what I had for dinner, salmon, I think.

Make sure you have at least two hours for dancing, but I recommend no more than three... make your guests leave wanting just a little more :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Oh, also, what are you guys doing the days leading up to and after the wedding?

We spent four nights in the hotel room near the wedding site eventho we lived only four miles away. It was a great move. Sunday after the wedding, we had a light brunch for family and out-of-town guests. Kicked their asses out at 1:00pm, then spent the next 24 hours alone, recuperating and just enjoying being alone together... then we went home. Went back to work Tuesday.

Are you doing photos before or after the ceremony?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I don't mean to rain on your plans with the following comments, just take them as you will...

BAD IDEA! Unless you somehow really know what you're doing. I mean really. I went to a friend's wedding two months ago. She has great taste in music, but she did her own playlist and it sucked. She knew what she was doing, but she's no DJ. It really is an art and skill.

Maybe go online, look up DJ recommended playlists or somethng?

How close is the wedding? Are food details already worked out? Nice gift from your wine snob cousin!

Others might remember the food and drink, but most brides and grooms we spoke to (including us) didn't really remember it. You wind up roaming during dinner chatting with people, thanking them for being there and all that. I honestly don't remember what I had for dinner, salmon, I think.

Make sure you have at least two hours for dancing, but I recommend no more than three... make your guests leave wanting just a little more :D
Too late to change anything now...it's on the 25th!

I let Steph do the playlist with some input from me. I have a gift for picking horrible party music. She knows what her family will do well with...they have huge drunk new englander weddings like every month. Either way, that's her deal...originally, there wasn't even supposed to be dancing.

Basically, though, it's our deal and we've done most everything ourselves. We've been married on paper for 2 years, so it's more of just a party and celebration than a ceremony. I think it'll all work out OK in the end.

We're going to have very little time alone, but that's OK...we live far from our families and never see them. We're going on a honeymoon to Austria/Bavaria, Poland, and Scotland later in the summer. Kinda wish I'd thought like you guys with the hotel, but we're stuck with this, esp. b/c of all we're doing ourselves.

It's all going to be great, though...not worried at all!!

-MD

PS photos before everyone else shows up, then some family shots, then journalistic photos all night. Our photog is really talented; commercial gal just getting into the wedding biz, so she was cheap. Steph made me deal with that part of the thing b/c of my photo background.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You could change the playlist, but if dancing wasn't even in the original plan, then no worries!

I think it's great that you guys are doing a celebration. My first wife was pissed that we eloped and never had a party. Even if that was her idea.

Man, your honeymoon sounds awesome. Are you taking a train or plane to Scotland? I can see advantages either way.

Glad you guys hired a photographer and that you'll do most of the formal pictures beforehand.

Did you hire or get a buddy to do videography stuff? I'm glad we did and I'm glad we did NOT pay for a great video team. Medium priced, medium quality video. I like the still photos around the house and the great quality, but I think any video capture is good enough. I did really like the guest comments to us while we were doing something else. Heck, you could get a buddy to set up a tripod and let people walk up to it to give a message. I recommend video, but I recommend doing it cheap... give the project to a friend and you two forget about it.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I recommend video, but I recommend doing it cheap... give the project to a friend and you two forget about it.

Her cousin's a documentary videographer, and we're having him make an 8mm film for us!

Still working on the honeymoon details w/ a travel agent. We were going to do Scotland only, then switched to Austria (I studied there) and a train to Poland (she has relatives who own a guesthousein the mountains). Then we found out the Lebowski Fest is in Edinburgh this year, so we adjusted again.

One of the reasons I'm headed back to sandy, explod-y parts of the world in the fall...help pay for this stuff!!

bierkultur

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
We did Stella, domestics, and Franziskaner. Although, that did require a glass.

Funny, we also honeymooned in Austria and Germany. A six day bike tour from Innsbruck to Munich where we only rode two days due to the weather.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> We were going to do Scotland only, then switched to Austria (I studied there) and a train to Poland (she has relatives who own a guesthousein the mountains). Then we found out the Lebowski Fest is in Edinburgh this year, so we adjusted again.
More details? My wife and I have spent some time in both Austria and Scotland and had a great time. Both are beautifuly places to visit. :thumb:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yah, the only place we (me, I guess) haven't been before is Poland. Going to probably fly to London, spend a day or so, fly to Poland, spend a day or two in Krakow and a few more in Zakopane (her cousins own a guesthouse there). Then train through Vienna (another day, probably), to Salzburg (few days there and in the surrounding area, including Bavaria...she wants to see the Eagle's Nest...) Then back to London and train/bus to Edinburgh for Lebowskifest, haggis, and castle/distillery/ghost tours. And maybe a highlands bus tour.

Still working it all out...I don't know if we can make the full plan work...

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with New Castle (for those who care about flavor) and Sam Light for everyone else. IPA is another nice choice.

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
Wish I had choices like that.
I found a bunch of good brews while I was in Japan. Living there, you probably don't travel the country-side much. But there was a sweet little spot that I found in Kamakura with some of the best micro brew that I've ever had. :cheers:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I was in Philly at Monk's Cafe (fantastic dive with amazing belgian mussels, burgers, and an enormous world beer selection) and had a Japanese black ale that just kicked major ass. Forget the name, though.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yah, the only place we (me, I guess) haven't been before is Poland. Going to probably fly to London, spend a day or so, fly to Poland, spend a day or two in Krakow and a few more in Zakopane (her cousins own a guesthouse there). Then train through Vienna (another day, probably), to Salzburg (few days there and in the surrounding area, including Bavaria...she wants to see the Eagle's Nest...) Then back to London and train/bus to Edinburgh for Lebowskifest, haggis, and castle/distillery/ghost tours. And maybe a highlands bus tour.

Still working it all out...I don't know if we can make the full plan work...
Yeah - that sounds like a pretty busy time. Berchtesgaden is a great area... wife and I took the gondola up there and wandered around in the high alpine for awhile. Train access was quite good from Salzburg. We also stayed in a little mountain town called Hallstatt in the Austrian Alps that was *killer.*

And Scotland... you pretty much can't go wrong there, eh? :thumb:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The Black Butte porter is a good idea. As for a lager...how about Victory Prima Pils?

I'd probably buy it in a 2:1 lager : porter ratio as well...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The Black Butte porter is a good idea.
We'll be knocking those back at the family dinner (not having a rehearsal of any kind)...the steakhouse has a limited beer menu, but that's on it, at least...nice stuff.

S

Snargockle

Man you are springing for great beer, at my wedding we did your typical Miller Lite / Bud Light (I'm from Milwaukee and HATE Bud, but everyone outside of WI seems to love it). I figured once people get drunk, they can't really tell the difference anyway.

On a funny note, I used 40's of High Life at our head table, its the champagne of beers you know.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wow, that was awesome. Anyone wanna help me with polishing off 48 pacificos and about 20 Negras? And about 8 bottles of champagne and 12 of red?

It's gonna be a hell of an Independence Day...

Ed: Oh, and Opie, the music worked out fantastically, somehow...got many compliments on it. We did have a friend working the setup, starting the playlists, and adjusting volume, etc....

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Wow, that was awesome.
Insufficient. Needs own thread. Like how was the food, ceremony, anyone do something funny/stupid, photos?

Anyone wanna help me with polishing off 48 pacificos and about 20 Negras? And about 8 bottles of champagne and 12 of red?
Beer can last upwards of a year, wine much longer. Stick it in the fridge or basement... tho it sounds like you've got your next holiday planned :D

Ed: Oh, and Opie, the music worked out fantastically, somehow...got many compliments on it. We did have a friend working the setup, starting the playlists, and adjusting volume, etc....
That's awesome! Did y'all dance?

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Ayinger Celebrator, super dark and smooth. one of the best beers i've ever had, and an appropriate name for a wedding. their brau weiss hefe is also my favorte wheat beer.

or

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Insufficient. Needs own thread. Like how was the food, ceremony, anyone do something funny/stupid, photos?
--

That's awesome! Did y'all dance?

Just an informal portrait, but one I really liked. Rest of the photos, which show some good party'n, are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15217562@N00/sets/72157600499781464/

Meant to do a big write-up, but we've been waiting for the photos and I wanted to have those before I did...still working on it...but relatives and guests are still raving about what a good time it was.

Oh, and beer and food were PHENOMENAL. Old guy dancing like a madman in the pictures,
(dude in the middle...)
by the end of the night, was running to the laptop anytime one of our favorite songs came on, like something punky or new-wavey, and went back to the classic rock or Patsy Cline...but he was the life of the dance floor, so we let him go with it.

Steph's dancing involves plenty of thumbs and kicking.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
awesome photos. I like the wide range of colors -- B&W, natural, amber-ish --

Who did your photos? Will you be getting pre-made albums and stuff?

WTF? dancing31216.JPG (always good to have your goofy friends making memorable moments)

And of course, the two most important things: you two look very happy and the bride is beautiful... your wife's pretty hot too.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
gumgirl.com did the photos...she's AWESOME. Commercial photog just moving into weddings. Cool and fun to have around.

She made a few small books for us, but just gave us everything digitally and recommended a few places that could make albums.

We also had two polaroid cameras and premade guestbook albums at the entrance, which was an awesome idea and yielded a lot of cool photos and notes.

The one gay guy at work, who now has a huge crush on Steph, took a look at the photo page and that one shot you linked to and said, "Oh! I didn't know you had other gay friends," which made me laugh, because ordinarily you wouldn't realize those two are a couple until they mention it. (Or until one leaves the party and the other starts trying to pick up your other ex-Marine friend...)