Quantcast

wedding gift from mom. a watch. help me decide.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
if money was infinite, i´d ask for a rose gold portuguese, black dial on a brown strap.

or a lange und sohne in pink gold.

but considering my mom´s suggestions (the submariner and the speedmaster) i´d like to keep it under $7000.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I can't tell which is more funny: Some of the responses here, or the fact that you came to Ridemonkey for advice on a $7,000 watch.

That said, the notion of thinking of this gift as an "investment" seems to miss the point. Hopefully you get something that lasts a lifetime and can be passed down to others. Get the one you want, regardless of resale value.

And I just can't resist:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I can't tell which is more funny: Some of the responses here, or the fact that you came to Ridemonkey for advice on a $7,000 watch.

That said, the notion of thinking of this gift as an "investment" seems to miss the point. Hopefully you get something that lasts a lifetime and can be passed down to others. Get the one you want, regardless of resale value.

And I just can't resist:

what is the difference between a $5-7000 watch, or a $6000 bicycle or $5000 worth of camera, lens and flash?

they are all just different faces of the same thing; and many questions of similar equipment at similar prices have been answered in RM. never underestimate the collective wisdom of rm. i´ve gotten some pretty sound advice here, and a lot of laughs too.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
what is the difference between a $5-7000 watch, or a $6000 bicycle or $5000 worth of camera, lens and flash?

they are all just different faces of the same thing; and many questions of similar equipment at similar prices have been answered in RM. never underestimate the collective wisdom of rm. i´ve gotten some pretty sound advice here, and a lot of laughs too.
Fair enough, for the most part. As a source of info on random subjects, RM has been surprising me for years. But I would bet an Omega that far fewer people here have $7,000 watches than $6,000 bikes. And unless I missed it you're not trying to find the watch that will tell time the most accurately, so this is not really about performance of high-end equipment either.

Anyway, I hope you get something you really like. And congrats on getting hitched.

DORO

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
you must be the only peruvian who's going to be rocking a rolex with a downhill bike. The peruvians
I know use your used down hill tires for sandals and carve circles in the sand to tell time.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
you must be the only peruvian who's going to be rocking a rolex with a downhill bike. The peruvians
I know use your used down hill tires for sandals and carve circles in the sand to tell time.
and unfortunately you must not be the only english-speaker who does not have a clue on how the world is, outside their zip code... :rolleyes:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
and unfortunately you must not be the only english-speaker who does not have a clue on how the world is, outside their zip code... :rolleyes:
How many middle class Americans are shopping for a wristwatch that is the US GNP per capita ($48,450 USD)? Peru's is $5500 USD. Give it up, you are upper class, a one percenter, end of story:

GNI per capita USD

Peru is in the top 20 for income inequality, the US is 42nd:

http://cs.fit.edu/~ryan/factbook/factbook/rankorder/2172rank.html?countryName=Malaysia&countryCode=my&regionCode=eas&rank=36#my

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Tell her you want a top of the line V10c....two birds, one stone.

Nothing wrong with a nice watch, especially for a gift. Just let all the haters keep hating. A nice watch will definitely out last any bike, camera, etc and most other things that you could easily spend the same amount on. To each their own...

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
www.mkiiwatches.com

This guy's new site sucks, but he makes interesting stuff. Military and pro-inspired designs from the past, and you can customize your watch with the dial, hands, etc. you choose. And/or order a pre-made standard model.

I have his older "Vantage" model which is basically a Rolex Explorer homage. Little bigger and chunkier, which I don't prefer, but his stuff still isn't fashion-huge.

Innards are Swiss ETA automatic movements. They tell time nicely but don't cost a ton.

Only watch I'll likely ever own except whatever quartz digital I have in the dresser drawer at the time, too.

DORO

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
I wasn't trying to belittle you and it was meant to be a joke. And I have been to peru and other parts of the world. Peru's culture is beautiful...poor but beautiful...hence why I married one. So I actually consider myself well cultured and very understanding.

But I wasn't joking about the sandals. That bit is true.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I wasn't trying to belittle you and it was meant to be a joke. And I have been to peru and other parts of the world. Peru's culture is beautiful...poor but beautiful...hence whttp://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3815554hy I married one. So I actually consider myself well cultured and very understanding.

But I wasn't joking about the sandals. That bit is true.
lol, no problem. i know the sandals bit is true. but its from truck, not downhill bike, tires.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Get an imitation watch and spend the rest on booze and strippers, or grab a Tissot they feel really well made for the money.

Just got a $220 quote to fix my Eco-Drive, didn't find my proof of purchase til after the warranty ran out :(

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What model?
It's a five or six year old watch now, it sat round not working for over three years, and in Aus we pay a lot more that you guys also my price includes a new glass.
Not sure on the model, pretty sure it looks like this-

I pick up a Citizen Skyhawk titanium something something tomorrow, definitely not a wedding spec watch more a look at me I like useless toys watch, don't get one of them.

Why the ****ing **** do I keep getting sent to Bike Mags website? It is getting really annoying!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I pick up a Citizen Skyhawk titanium something something tomorrow, definitely not a wedding spec watch more a look at me I like useless toys watch, don't get one of them.
See post #10....definitely a great watch IMO if you like something a bit fancy but very functional without breaking the bank. I love mine.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
See post #10....definitely a great watch IMO if you like something a bit fancy but very functional without breaking the bank. ]
Hmmm I'll go with flashy not sure about fancy, got mine today, really looks like it should have G-Shock branding on it.
It took a while to work out how to set the time as I can't use the radio thingy to update the time in Australia.

It's cool but I prefer my Tissot, very different watches, the Tissot feels really well built the Citizen doesn't, some of that might be because of how light it is though....

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Hmmm I'll go with flashy not sure about fancy, got mine today, really looks like it should have G-Shock branding on it.
It took a while to work out how to set the time as I can't use the radio thingy to update the time in Australia.

It's cool but I prefer my Tissot, very different watches, the Tissot feels really well built the Citizen doesn't, some of that might be because of how light it is though....
I'd say fancy in regards to how much stuff if can do functionality wise, which is a lot, while still looking expensive and "dressy". Flashy I associate with bright and sparkly but functionally basic.

And light?! Everyone that tries on my Citizen asks how I can wear a watch so heavy. Then again it has the SS case/band, not Ti.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Spending over $3k on a watch and not getting a Breitling is a classic dumbass move. Rolex are junk and look at me too pieces. Breitling is clean, classy, understated (well most of them), and built to take real abuse.
Clean and understated aren't words that I would use to describe most Breitling watches.