Quantcast

***Wednesday GMT***

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
my early morning Dialysis run was canceled ( Pt in Hospital) so I got to sleep in until 5am....

heading out at 6 instead of 4 is kind of nice.
aren't you all grown up with no kids in the house? why would you subject yourself to that sort of schedule?! I keep reading about your early morning runs, and think about how miserable I feel when my kids wake me up at 5:30 am, and think: why? why would someone do that to themselves?!

that was a rhetorical question. I understand the difference... Just thought I'd throw it out there...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
aren't you all grown up with no kids in the house? why would you subject yourself to that sort of schedule?! I keep reading about your early morning runs, and think about how miserable I feel when my kids wake me up at 5:30 am, and think: why? why would someone do that to themselves?!

that was a rhetorical question. I understand the difference... Just thought I'd throw it out there...
Naw - when you get as old as strt6 getting up early is the norm.

I think only JBP is older than him...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
That 104 car pileup in Denver earlier this week looked like a grade A ****show.

Speaking of ****shows, I drove a smart fortwo into work (via car2go) due to an early morning webcast lecture. Smart cars have to be the worst on the market these days...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

So not motivated for this tech challenge, but I commited to doing it even though I've decided it might not be good to leave here. I just got approval for some training I've been wanting for years but didn't want to drop the $2k, but work has approved it. :D

And yes, Doc, the Smart fortwo is unanimously the worst production car. I hear the iQ (whatever that Scion thing is) and the Mitsu sh!tbox are equally bad. I can appreciate what they tried to do there, but it failed.

I would love to fix up a BMW Isetta for a towner car in Portland.

Brappppp

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Amsterdam is a pretty cool city.

Bikes everywhere. Crappy ones, but they're everywhere. Makes for fit Amsterdamers.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

because I get off work with 3-4 hours of daylight left in the winter to go ride, hike, or fish

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You know when your employer does something that they think is really positive and motivating for their employees and it blows up in their face? That just happened in our office. They changed our comp so that it is much harder to get our bonus, which is ~50-75% of our annual incomes. We are looking at taking 10-20% pay cuts because of this.

As an appeasement, our boss thought it would be a good idea to bring in the heads of the Denver-metro advisory service, just so we see how their advisors run their business. To learn more about where we refer clients and to give us a carrot to say "one day you might be an advisor". Instead of the 3-4 people he expected, all 14 people in our office attended. When asked by the guys why we were there to see them, the consensus was because we all want to move to that job. All of us. As soon as possible.

Our boss's eyes just about popped out of his head at our response. We just had two of our best performers leave, citing comp and the lack of upward mobility. Both went to the advisor role at other firms and are already doing very well. He was sitting in this meeting, with his entire senior sales team openly stating that they want to leave their current positions.

The meeting went on for 1.5 hours, 30min more than scheduled, getting more detail about exactly what they look for, how we apply internally, what the comp structure looks like, how the new business generation system works, etc. It ended with us all very openly telling them that we are interested in their open positions.

Our boss immediately went into his office, closed his door, and got onto the phone. He only closes his door for 1-1 meetings and when they have comp or managerial meetings. Given his nervousness and expediency of the call, we are all assuming that he just called senior management with a great big 'oh ****' moment.

It is interesting though, as the advisor role leads you to a starting base of roughly 75% of our current income levels with a realistic potential of 2-3 times over 3-4 years. A small short-term difference vs. what we are expecting to see our incomes reduced by. It should be interesting how this falls out over the next few months as positions open in that line of business, as the company hires internally first.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
hi folks.
workin' today, then mañana after the whistle blows we are making the haul for Tahoe. Gonna ski Heavenly for couple of days.
stoked to get up there.