Quantcast

~*~ Wednesday GMT ~*~

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
time to make the donuts.

Got skunked on my ride last night, but it looks like a few days of dry hot weather are in the forecast. Come on weekend.

Whaddya got?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
hmmm......heat index over 100 for the next week....little rain in sight.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
kids slept through the night last night (ergo so did I). So how come I am moar tired than yesterday and the day before?! How does that work.

Company picnic this afternoon. It's sunny and cool. perfect.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
kids slept through the night last night (ergo so did I). So how come I am moar tired than yesterday and the day before?! How does that work.

Company picnic this afternoon. It's sunny and cool. perfect.
I know that feel so strange.

I am more and more getting used to waking up early now that I am riding but its also causing me to wake up even earlier than necessary. I was up at 4 the first time but managed to get a little sleep before I went out to ride.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I stay up too late to get up early. Even when I get 8 hours of sleep I'm not functional in the morning.

Wife's bday today...I think I've got a good plan in place to make my way through the potential minefield. Gotta keep things cool so I can maintain my planned ride in the hills on Friday.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I oiled my chain this morning for the first time in at least a few months. I swear it was easier to pedal. @Westy, is this possible, or was it all placebo effect? It wasn't rusty or anything, just dusty and making a bit of noise.

In other news, some new breed of pollen erupted yesterday and now my eyes are all itchy and watery. Allergies are a bitch.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Taking an online class to fill some time. I've been asking for stuff to do and have been getting put off. Next week should be interesting, the resume is already polished up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I oiled my chain this morning for the first time in at least a few months. I swear it was easier to pedal. @Westy, is this possible, or was it all placebo effect? It wasn't rusty or anything, just dusty and making a bit of noise.

In other news, some new breed of pollen erupted yesterday and now my eyes are all itchy and watery. Allergies are a bitch.
Might be worth a 1 or 2% improvement in efficiency. I doubt you would be able to feel that, however I think a squeak or noise could have a significant affect on perceived performance.

Perhaps regular riding has simply improved your fitness.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Might be worth a 1 or 2% improvement in efficiency. I doubt you would be able to feel that, however I think a squeak or noise could have a significant affect on perceived performance.

Perhaps regular riding has simply improved your fitness.
The change came from the past few days, when I've been feeling laggy, to today, though. I didn't get fit overnight. I guess placebo + lack of noise reinforcement explains it.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
This suggests that switching between lubes may gain 3-4W @ 60 rpm with 100W input: http://www.ihpva.org/HParchive/PDF/hp50-2000.pdf , page 7 as it is numbered, table 2. Perhaps dirty chains could double this difference. It still seems that sprocket size, tension, and cadence matter much more, though.

Update: I was misreading it.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This suggests that switching between lubes may gain 3-4W @ 60 rpm with 100W input: http://www.ihpva.org/HParchive/PDF/hp50-2000.pdf , page 7 as it is numbered, table 2. Perhaps dirty chains could double this difference. It still seems that sprocket size, tension, and cadence matter much more, though.
Just scanning I am not seeing where you could get 3-4 watts if you compare identical gear configurations. Either way that would only realistically translate into a few tenths of a MPH, not sure if you would notice that unless you were staring at your computer. Wind conditions are going to have a much larger impact on your speed.

From a driveline perspective gear ratio choices are going to have a much bigger impact on efficiency. Not just gear size as described in that paper, but chainline itself can have make a 3-4% difference if I remember correctly.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head

Take the chain off it made Aaron gwin faster

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Just scanning I am not seeing where you could get 3-4 watts if you compare identical gear configurations.
Ah, you're right. I was comparing different gear combinations at the same cadence.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have been waiting patiently for at *least* 6 months for the next round of layoffs... I'm hopeful that summer won't be over when they come. :brows:
When I started here, the sense of "team" was lacking. Then we had a re-org that was nice because I no longer answer to the original jackass, but now there is no "team", just sort of a free for all. Since my boss is out of the country, I see little of them anyway, but when they come to town, you never know if it will be a good or a bad thing.

I could just be paranoid, but there is just a funky vibe in the office leading up to the quarterly engineering get together.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Got the race car just about back together... the only mission critical items left are to put the seats and seatbelts back in. Still missing a few stickers, we'll see if we can get those on there soon as well. Just in time for the BOR Mike Hickey Memorial Vernal Dinosaur Dash here in about a week and half. Can you say "stoked" ? I knew you could!
Don't jimmydean it (again?)!

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
My baby, Yuna, turned 2 months old yesterday.

Big sister holding little sister.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A local mouth breather recently started an online petition to ban bicycles from county roads. As a result, a significantly more popular petition was started to ban her from county roads.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
out and about...have a bit of cloud cover today, so temp range is only between 100* and 104*. Not complaining-I'll take it over months and months of snow-just unusual this early in the summarrrgh. at least it's only moderately humid.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
out and about...have a bit of cloud cover today, so temp range is only between 100* and 104*. Not complaining-I'll take it over months and months of snow-just unusual this early in the summarrrgh. at least it's only moderately humid.
Really? A pleasant 79 up here.