Quantcast

^*^ Wednesday GMT *^*

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Counter steering only works when going stupid fast and is not usually necessary for most bermed corners.

Skibunny, for the best possible cornering visit the bong shed first to get your lean on.

Countersteering not only works at lower speeds but is necessary to initiate any turn unless you are performing wild upper body gesticulations. At lower speeds it just isn't very obvious.

I'd be happy to go into a detailed technical explanation. Seriously, I love that shit.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Precession!
A non minimum phase system is non minimum phase at any speed.

Turning a bike requires applying a lateral force towards the center of the turn. This requires a lean angle less you want to fall over. Since you cannot apply a moment about the longitudinal contact patch the only way to achieve the lean is to move the contact patch in relation to the center of gravity. This is done by counter-steering.

Think of it like balancing a broom on your hand. If you want to accelerate to the left, you must first move your hand to the right to create the lean angle. Once the proper angle is achieved you can move to the left.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Countersteering not only works at lower speeds but is necessary to initiate any turn unless you are performing wild upper body gesticulations. At lower speeds it just isn't very obvious.

I'd be happy to go into a detailed technical explanation. Seriously, I love that shit.
in layman's terms....just fucking turn...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
12 miles on the bike tonight. Not bad considering I was down with fever just two nights ago.

Also, this thread is a potent generator of dafuqs.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
in layman's terms....just fucking turn...
Lack of understanding of countersteering is probably a large portion of why half of motorcycle accidents are single vehicle, ran off road type deals. (That plus being drunk.)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Lack of understanding of countersteering is probably a large portion of why half of motorcycle accidents are single vehicle, ran off road type deals. (That plus being drunk.)
The awesome thing is that the human brain is largely wired to do so. When running or walking you essentially counter-steer to turn. Most easily described by planting of the outside foot.

Of course some folks wiring just doesn't work very well.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
A non minimum phase system is non minimum phase at any speed.

Turning a bike requires applying a lateral force towards the center of the turn. This requires a lean angle less you want to fall over. Since you cannot apply a moment about the longitudinal contact patch the only way to achieve the lean is to move the contact patch in relation to the center of gravity. This is done by counter-steering.

Think of it like balancing a broom on your hand. If you want to accelerate to the left, you must first move your hand to the right to create the lean angle. Once the proper angle is achieved you can move to the left.
Ok, but in a practical application the amount of counter steering is relatively imperceptible,yes ?

So then wouldn't it make more sense to tell her to lean ? Unless of course you count shifting your hips or dropping a leg as counter steering. To me, counter steering is something that I would pretty much only do on a fast wide dirt road where I would purposely turn the bar in the opposite direction while slightly leaning in the direction of the turn.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
So I went out for a trail ride and since it was drizzling just a wee bit I had the whole place to myself. Which was cool.

But for what ever reason, maybe I'm wearing some kind of bio tracking device, another Yellow Jacket stung me on the stomach. Really getting tired of these little fuckers.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I concur. I generally just put a dash of each on it. Just to give the weeds a little flavor.
Usually most small greens are bit bitter. I once had the fortunate experience of sampling some organic, free range, local stash that had a great subtle garlic and pepper flavor. Another time I got to try a Thai Cherry tomato that had a few of the five components of Thai cuisine. A very unexpected taste experience. This was back when I live in Asheville. One of the few things I miss about that place. Here it's like there is a city ordinance against good food.