Quantcast

***Wednesday GMT***

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
FOAW is basically the Sierra club run by Pennsyltucky hicks
Way back in the day the Sierra Club tried to kick us out of the trails we built so only they could use them. Total bunch of pricks that group. We went to the city meetings in large numbers and called bullshit on their use of data collected from studies of erosion caused by dirt bikes, not bicycles.

Every now and then I'll come across sticks that were obviously placed in way to cause a rider to crash. Never caught a hiker doing it, but have seen them in the vicinity of said traps. Amazingly arrogant and ignorant to sabotage the people who built and maintain the trails that they hike on. And cowardly as most of them would never physically attack a mountain biker.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Way back in the day the Sierra Club tried to kick us out of the trails we built so only they could use them. Total bunch of pricks that group. We went to the city meetings in large numbers and called bullshit on their use of data collected from studies of erosion caused by dirt bikes, not bicycles.

Every now and then I'll come across sticks that were obviously placed in way to cause a rider to crash. Never caught a hiker doing it, but have seen them in the vicinity of said traps. Amazingly arrogant and ignorant to sabotage the people who built and maintain the trails that they hike on. And cowardly as most of them would never physically attack a mountain biker.
Skeptical?

http://www.greensboro.com/opinion/columns/vance-arnold-sierra-club-supports-mountain-biking-at-rich-fork/article_86239559-0785-5419-8b01-d4aa8bce4197.html

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Some nut job pulled a gun on some bikers on a legal trail that started from the blue ridge parkway a year or so a go. The dude had threatened people on several occasions, nothing was done until he took the next step.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Be sure to write down your settings before sending it back for warranty. I liked my DBA, but it was a finicky bitch that originally failed on the first ride.

I know x2s are pricey and hard to get at the moment but I highly recommend going that direction.
noted.
did you have issues with a dba, or an inline? this is a newest latest greatest version, allegedly with all the best corrections etc

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Holy Crap that's a hornets nest. I've heard about that situation and Susan Ladd has been Hell bent on banning mountain bikers.

The Greensboro scene used to be pretty cool a long time ago. Now the trails are dumbed way down from old school, tight, rooty Southeast singletrack to flow/easy™ bobsled runs. Riders there will not ride over a root that is more than 1.5" tall and will go around making the trail 6-8 feet wide in places.

This is the group that cuts "sustainable" trails three feet deep to avoid roots. They vehemently hate roots, rocks, and anything that is remotely challenging. They, like a lot of other groups, continue to sanitize trails, call their creations black diamond trails, then strut around like they're XC pros. Ask them what's their favorite trail in Pisgah, and they've never heard of the place.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I'm just glad they brought the folks from the NC Zoo up to chime in . . . :rofl:

I'll continue to ride one trail in the Charlotte area and devote the rest of my time to Wilsons/Pisgah/lift- and shuttle- served gnar. Maybe one day I'll make it up to W-S to ride the secret thuper awethum trail...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Got burned by the trail today.

Slammed the ground on what is the easiest section of trail ever. Not sure what happened... Arm is oozing poop, hip hurts but damnnnnnnnn what a great day.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Got burned by the trail today.

Slammed the ground on what is the easiest section of trail ever. Not sure what happened... Arm is oozing poop, hip hurts but damnnnnnnnn what a great day.
I find it best to land on my head, it is the most protected part of my body.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I'm just glad they brought the folks from the NC Zoo up to chime in . . . :rofl:

I'll continue to ride one trail in the Charlotte area and devote the rest of my time to Wilsons/Pisgah/lift- and shuttle- served gnar. Maybe one day I'll make it up to W-S to ride the secret thuper awethum trail...
Word is same group in GSO wants to "maintain" part of Thuper Awethum. I have assurances they will leave the main section as is. But still, the thought of the rock Nazis at my favorite spot is unsettling to say the least. However most of the GSO riders won't ride there because it's too difficult. So hopefully this never comes to fruition.

I intend on hitting Yancey Ridge one afternoon before the leaves change. I realized that it's likely been 20 years since last rode it. Wonder how much deeper the ruts have gotten.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I intend on hitting Yancey Ridge one afternoon before the leaves change. I realized that it's likely been 20 years since last rode it. Wonder how much deeper the ruts have gotten.
Just let me know . . . always happy to hit Yancey (did it last Sunday - the very first part is sketch now, the middle is fun, the bottom is the same as ever). What you really need is a Headquarters/Harper/Raiders or Headquarters/Persimmon/Yellowbuck ride!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Looks like a road rider back in the hood got seriously injured by a car. Rider was reportedly stopped and off the road when the car swerved from the roadway hitting him. Driver kept on motoring. I pretty much stopped riding on the road about a year ago as the relationship between cars and bike seemed to have become rather negative. Hard to believe this incident was an accident.