Quantcast

***Wednesday GMT***

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Another day in the ultrasound mines for me looms ahead.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Back home from mid-west family road trip. Agenda for today is unpack, laundry, and repack. Then leaving town again tomorrow. This time for Pittsburgh for a few days for my buddy's wedding. I'm starting to feel like a nomad this holiday season.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Drove mum to the airport at godawful early this morning.

Now at work with coffee... need to decide where to ski next week. Big Sky and Jackson are probably going to be the contenders...

fugggggg

Honey did I tell you that my mother is coming to stay with us today?

my day is now shot
"Honey - did I forget to tell you that I'm going to be in the mountains for a few days. I did? Ah, sorry, dear."

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Up until midnight working with MIL on her investments. Her Morgan Stanley advisor has her pretty aggressively invested and the only recommendation is to go into a managed account at 1.8% per year. Mind boggling that people think that's alright. After spending 4 hours reviewing things and putting together another portfolio that's appropriate, most notably having her move to Vanguard in process, her first question: "Can I just buy the Vanguard funds at Morgan Stanley?". Attachment to the advisor, not looking out for her own best interest. Old people bother me sometimes. Plus I still have another couple of hours that I need to spend giving her step-by-step instructions as to exactly what to do with her funds - buy vs. sell, transfer, etc.

Otherwise work. Looking forward to Haley being a total shit when I get home because she doesn't do well when her grandparents leave.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Another quiet day in the office, kinda nice like that. No meetings = winning. Lots of reading to do, some writing, and I need to work on a pseudo presentation to give to the build team. Most of the folks over there who matter know who the hell I am, but the boss thinks I need to say a formal "hi" during one of their meetings.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Morning Monkies! I cut my workout to 90 minutes of moderate cardio and 3 laps in the pool. That assumes a lap is 2 lengths. I am an awful swimmer but need the upper body strength it will bring. I hoping to do this 7 days a week by the end of January. For now. 4 to 5 days.

Hoping my new wheels are in today. Everything takes longer from the LBS. Much faster when ordered from the LDS.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Morning Monkies! I cut my workout to 90 minutes of moderate cardio and 3 laps in the pool. That assumes a lap is 2 lengths. I am an awful swimmer but need the upper body strength it will bring. I hoping to do this 7 days a week by the end of January. For now. 4 to 5 days.

Hoping my new wheels are in today. Everything takes longer from the LBS. Much faster when ordered from the LDS.
You doing a tri? Check out the Speedo youtube page. They give a lot of good information on being more efficient on your stroke. Things like gliding, angle of your head in the water, how to most efficiently breath, etc. Very good tool.

As for laps, you are correct - one lap is an out and back.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You doing a tri? Check out the Speedo youtube page. They give a lot of good information on being more efficient on your stroke. Things like gliding, angle of your head in the water, how to most efficiently breath, etc. Very good tool.

As for laps, you are correct - one lap is an out and back.
No tri in my future. Just need an upper body workout that is more fun than weights. I dont like weights or stationary bikes. Treadmills, eliptcals and swimming are good for me.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Is it even worth it to get changed for 150 meters in the pool?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I thought it was awesome. Much recommend, wow, doge.
I still haven't seen it. I think we were going to go Cinetopia for new Years and see it with another couple. I have yet to hit Cinetopia, looking at the prices I was a little blown away. But if it's only a buck more for a beer than a 32oz soda, count me in. :rofl:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
You have to start somewhere so yes, yes it is.
I started swimming the tail end of 2015 and could I could barely do one length at a time. I'd have to stop and rest for a good minute after each length. Eventually I was able to do two lengths, then three, etc. When I had my 100 yard "test" for my tri club's swim clinic, I had to roll onto my back and rest a couple of times because I could not swim 100 yards, and it took my three minutes at an all out effort. Getting better takes time, practice, and patience. You'll get there!

On that note, 2300 yard swim done before work, and I've got a track workout to do after work, i.e. running at a lung busting effort.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Another day recording and learning, yesterday. I hopped into the office for an easy day. I'll hop back out tomorrow. Until then, I'm just watching YouTube tutorials, drinking coffee, and approving everything that lands on my desk.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
@Pesqueeb or anyone else with experience: I found these gloves locally in a sporting goods store that sells bikes so I tried them on and tested out the brakes and shifters on a few bikes. The provide more movement and "feel" than my current gloves. Any experience with this companies gloves or general level of quality / reliability? These appear to be an entry level glove for snowmobiling but would do equally well for biking.

http://www.upnorthsports.com/snowmobile/snowmobile-clothing/snowmobile-gloves/mens-gloves/klim-togwotee-glove-2017.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiA4o3DBRCJsZqh8vWqt_8BEiQA2Fw0eXbr3ITHY99dIYuNb38DgD0gGRxAncA0qLVZ_b01Nx0aAv-j8P8HAQ#?Opt1=116438&Opt2=116444

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I just ordered some dinner plates with photos of my babies on 'em, because why not?

/me is fond of mah babies

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
@Pesqueeb or anyone else with experience: I found these gloves locally in a sporting goods store that sells bikes so I tried them on and tested out the brakes and shifters on a few bikes. The provide more movement and "feel" than my current gloves. Any experience with this companies gloves or general level of quality / reliability? These appear to be an entry level glove for snowmobiling but would equally well for biking.

http://www.upnorthsports.com/snowmobile/snowmobile-clothing/snowmobile-gloves/mens-gloves/klim-togwotee-glove-2017.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiA4o3DBRCJsZqh8vWqt_8BEiQA2Fw0eXbr3ITHY99dIYuNb38DgD0gGRxAncA0qLVZ_b01Nx0aAv-j8P8HAQ#?Opt1=116438&Opt2=116444
seem like the perfect pair of dentist gloves to go with your dentist bike wheel set...

Another (cheaper) option would be pogies -- you can use much thinner gloves with pogies

http://bikepacker.com/history-pogies-buy/

I got a "cheap" neoprene pair ($45ish) last winter from barmitts (now $75) and wifelet seems to think they're okay for round town cruising

http://barmitts.com/

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
seem like the perfect pair of dentist gloves to go with your dentist bike wheel set...

Another (cheaper) option would be pogies -- you can use much thinner gloves with pogies

http://bikepacker.com/history-pogies-buy/

I got a "cheap" neoprene pair ($45ish) last winter from barmitts (now $75) and wifelet seems to think they're okay for round town cruising

http://barmitts.com/
A dentist's hands must be protected and stylish at all times. :) As for the wheels... they be super sexy and easily 34 grams lighter then the OEM set.