Quantcast

@@@ Wednesday GMT @@@

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Good morning.

Dr. appointment this morning, meeting a friend for lunch and lots o' work. Plan to ride this evening.
Project Chromag Stylus is in planning stages. Anybody ride one?

Aaron Hernandez offed himself. Shitty end to a shitty story all around.

Whatcha got?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Happy Friday! Wife and I are headed to Disney World tomorrow to run their Star Wars 10K (Saturday) and half marathon (Sunday). Just going down for the races...no parks. It's going to be 90 and humid. I ain't used to that shit yet. I predict pain and misery.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Biked in this morning. still cold out, fingers got very close to freezing. this is not going to help melt the snow on the trails. it's supposed to start raining this afternoon. hopefully that helps.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
back still a bit tweaked. We are heading off to a horse show tomorrow night. I am the EMT and Ruth is showing. I have to put the 100# trailer hitch extension on the camper /truck today. Here is to hoping I don't royally screw my back up doing it

Coffee is strong this morning but I bet that if I were to close my eyes right now I would be snoring in seconds.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Morning. I rode yesterday a little, after a few days of nice weather it was a rather miserable experience - cold, windy, humid, it felt like there was moar snow waiting to clobber us again. That hopefully won't happen before December but today isn't supposed to be much better. Our social riding season begins tonight, not sure if I am in the shape or mood to lead a ride just yet. Now back to this activity called work, meh.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Posting in this GMT because there is no talk of Crabjoes spank bank. Yet. :fie: Ride with Captain Bacon and the Good Doctor in a couple hours. I believe this was organized by @Toshi, so hopefully soul crushing quotient is low. Now I need to go walk the dogs.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Rode with Haley last night for another 3.25 miles, which we only ended because I forgot to bring water. She's hammering up reasonable (for a kid) hills now and can start while pointed up hill. She was asking about getting hand brakes too. Muey bueno.

Rode in this morning and managed to forget my shoes, so I get to rock my Sidi's in the office. I'll be sitting at the desk for most of today. Wifey has an interview with a pretty large company (356 facilities globally) for their director of marketing position. Hopefully it goes well... Daddy needs a new bike.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
:wave:

Posting in this GMT because there is no talk of Crabjoes spank bank. Yet. :fie: Ride with Captain Bacon and the Good Doctor in a couple hours. I believe this was organized by @Toshi, so hopefully soul crushing quotient is low. Now I need to go walk the dogs.
Toshi's been riding a lot. Soul crushing might be involved.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Left the truck at work and rode home last night and back in this AM. Pedaling to work makes work more enjoyable.
Now to make stuff.

Getting some Trillium Brewing beers from my cousin who was in Boston last weekend delivered to me later on today. Vicinity IPA and some Pot & Kettle porter. Looking forward to sampling them tonight.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Getting some Trillium Brewing beers from my cousin who was in Boston last weekend delivered to me later on today. Vicinity IPA and some Pot & Kettle porter. Looking forward to sampling them tonight.
I don't drink porters but the Vicinity DIPA is solid. I think I am going back for more DDH Summer St. during lunch break today.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
I don't drink porters but the Vicinity DIPA is solid. I think I am going back for more DDH Summer St. during lunch break today.
I am not a big porter fan as well, but beggars can't be choosers sometimes. I might trade it out with some other craft beer hoarders I know. Some day I will score some of the DDH Street beers.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
The only challenge on this ride will be figuring out how I stay upright while riding uphill so slowly.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
If you've got a headwind, good luck.

Probably 50mph+ gusts already here this morning with sustained strong wind, so likely no riding today.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
NO offense Nick, but I like Crabby Joe's GMT opener better.

Happy Friday! Wife and I are headed to Disney World tomorrow to run their Star Wars 10K (Saturday) and half marathon (Sunday). Just going down for the races...no parks. It's going to be 90 and humid. I ain't used to that shit yet. I predict pain and misery.
IRB, you better believe it is hot and humid down south. two block easy pedal from the train to the office and my back is sweaty, of course, there was a book bag exacerbating the situation.

Put new commute friendly tires on the Gary Fisher this AM, after dropping the chitlins at the educatin' place. A short ride to the train and another short ride to the office and it is apparent there is some tweaking to do. Shifters need to be moved inboard and brake hands adjusted for better ergonomics, no big deal on that. The rear shifting is lazy and wants to not shift into 4th and 8th, skipping those on the second trigger pulls for 5 & 9 respectively. I had to do some degunkification to get them to work at all, so I am guessing more work must be done to break up the gunkitude. I am scared to do any more than basic disassembly of the rapidfire shifters to give the innards a proper cleaning. Aerosolized VOC's may have to be used in environmentally unfriendly quantities.

I am going to ride home tonight if the rain holds off. I am looking forward to that. If I am going to continue this bike ride home thingy, I need to work out a system that allows me to leave the bag at the office. Then I can have fun on the ride without the weight on my back.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
IRB, you better believe it is hot and humid down south. two block easy pedal from the train to the office and my back is sweaty, of course, there was a book bag exacerbating the situation.
My only saving grace is that Disney races start early as as hell to get people off the roads before the parks open. 5:30 start time, so I should be done before it gets too miserable. Being a faster runner has its advantages since I start at the front of the pack and have a shorter race time. I feel bad for slower folks who start a half hour after me and take twice as long to run.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Morning!

Just hanging around about ready to leave for the aeropuerto to fly off into those 50mph gusts that @6thElement speaks of. Hope I brought my sea legs today, I ain't one for copious turbulence.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Morning. I rode yesterday a little, after a few days of nice weather it was a rather miserable experience - cold, windy, humid, it felt like there was moar snow waiting to clobber us again. That hopefully won't happen before December but today isn't supposed to be much better. Our social riding season begins tonight, not sure if I am in the shape or mood to lead a ride just yet. Now back to this activity called work, meh.
I've been trying to kickstart our social riding group too. But... Bike shop owner sold his bike and no longer has one to ride (wtf...?), one guy out with shoulder surgery, the old retired dude has an ass problem and can't sit to pedal and the rest have fallen off the face of the planet. :confused:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Apparently Aaron Hernandez hung himself in his jail cell this morning. Looks like he called an audible on life.
suicide sucks, but i find myself having a hard time generating any sort of emotional response other than "meh" when a murderer punches their own ticket.

on the upside, he saved the state (and taxpayers) a lot of money by not fulfilling his life sentence.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I've been trying to kickstart our social riding group too. But... Bike shop owner sold his bike and no longer has one to ride (wtf...?), one guy out with shoulder surgery, the old retired dude has an ass problem and can't sit to pedal and the rest have fallen off the face of the planet. :confused:
Sounds like our crew--kids, jobs, injuries, general old as fuck problems, chasing skirts, hemorrhoids, broken bikes, millennials doing millennial shit etc. all take their toll. To be fair we still ride together a good bit but it's way more fragmented than in the "good old days." We've brought in new blood mostly from dudes who find us while we are doing trail work and via having an informal race at our spot a few times a year.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
suicide sucks, but i find myself having a hard time generating any sort of emotional response other than "meh" when a murderer punches their own ticket.

on the upside, he saved the state (and taxpayers) a lot of money by not fulfilling his life sentence.
No sympathy from me. I would have preferred the family of the victim get to disembowel him by hand and die that way, but that's splitting hairs.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I think I'm going to wander down to my local Y at lunch to see about signing up for lunchtime workouts in their group classes. They have "high intensity interval" classes. I need to do something to get back into shape so that I'm not slowing down my buddies excessively on group rides.

now that I'm solidly in my 40s, I think I need something that incorporates strength training with weights, and a certain degree of interval training too. The goal is to be stronger on the bike. I don't mind working out, but finding the time for it is tough outside of lunch time. And lunch time at a downtown gym is ridiculously busy. A 20 minute workout can take 40 minutes because of traffic. I figure a class gives me a guaranteed time for my workout.

I hate the thought of group classes, but meh, whatever...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Signing the contract for the apartment today. Ticket booked for Copenhagen Wednesday next week and already two interviews booked for Friday. Had a good meeting today too. 100% focus on job search now.

Now I just need to find out how I get back on a bike.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Took kiddo #1 for a MTB ride last night at thew newest local park with purpose built bike trails. He rode for an hour, which was amazing in and of itself, good time with a lot of 'extracurricular' activities on trail (ramps, skinny rides, bridges, etc) - kid loved that stuff, even if he was scared to try a few.

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but everyone there seemed to look like me back in 2008 - dj helmet, knee pads, 5-10 shoes...is this the new endurpo style???

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Maybe I'm out of the loop, but everyone there seemed to look like me back in 2008 - dj helmet, knee pads, 5-10 shoes...is this the new endurpo style???
DJ helmet is the most distinguished bro garment around these parts. You are expected to back it up with skills though. #pehapsonedayiwillbeworthytoo

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
DJ helmet is the most distinguished bro garment around these parts. You are expected to back it up with skills though. #pehapsonedayiwillbeworthytoo
Am seeing moar endurbro helmets - cool ventage while covering your cortex type. Me, I'm using a $19 GT DJ helmet!

pretty much, but probably wearing brighter colors than you.
Yup, very, very bright! I think we embarrassed a lot of endurbros last night as E-1 looked like them - colorful Troy Lee Jersey and 5-10's!