Quantcast

@@@ Wednesday GMT @@@

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Good ride with @Toshi and @Pesqueeb. I didn't have time for the Full Monty, so had to shorten it to just a Red Mesa loop.

On a bright note, I got to descend the fast part of Red Mesa twice due to Pesqueeb's rear brake malfunction. Me likee those rock gardens.

The Wall is also in rare form - springs are weeping above it, so tires are nice and wet as you go into it, and then all the slabby rocks are covered with a light layer of slippery dust. Quality! :brows:

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Afternoon...

Today is better than yesterday by 200% even with the scare that my boy was attempting to run away last night... This moving emotional rollercoaster is going to kill one of us if things don't iron out soon....

Bike maybe....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I did maybe the top 1/4, then noped out. Was also super sketched out by the brake situation, though it seemed fine. Thanks for the save.
Yeah - the top 1/4 is the "OTB likely" section... then it transitions into the "loose mf'ing cobbly shit where you might just crash" section.

All of it is easier with moar speed and pulling up. Ima demo one of them fancy Megatrails and take it do Deer Crik soon. I think with 170mm I should be able to not look like a complete out-of-control hack going down The Wall.

Which to be fair, I am.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Afternoon...

Today is better than yesterday by 200% even with the scare that my boy was attempting to run away last night... This moving emotional rollercoaster is going to kill one of us if things don't iron out soon....

Bike maybe....
I used to run away regularly as a child because I absolutely did NOT want to be there, finally made the escape permanent at 15. My parents did everything right, sent me to the shrink, bought me nice toys but nothing would change my mind. From what I gather running away or planning to is pretty common. Hopefully it's just a phase after reading Tom Sawyer or that Alaska book with the wolf on the dust jacket...

Edit: Call of the Wild, how you gonna keep them on the farm after they've read Jack London?

Last edited:

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
When in elementary school, I was always plotting to run away, and did so once. Headed to downtown Atlanta on foot from NW.
I used to run away regularly as a child because I absolutely did NOT want to be there, finally made the escape permanent at 15. My parents did everything right, sent me to the shrink, bought me nice toys but nothing would change my mind. From what I gather running away or planning to is pretty common. Hopefully it's just a phase after reading Tom Sawyer or that Alaska book with the wolf on the dust jacket...
Yeah, I hope he gets his shit in order. He just needs to find some friends at the new School and things will shape up. Unfortunately, getting him to go to school is the root of the problem....

I've also changed how I'm handling it, was going right to 100% angry and trying to force the issue.. now, i realized its up to him to figure out how to adjust. I'll just grab a beer and be there when he needs someone to chat.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I think I'm going to wander down to my local Y at lunch to see about signing up for lunchtime workouts in their group classes. They have "high intensity interval" classes. I need to do something to get back into shape so that I'm not slowing down my buddies excessively on group rides.

now that I'm solidly in my 40s, I think I need something that incorporates strength training with weights, and a certain degree of interval training too. The goal is to be stronger on the bike. I don't mind working out, but finding the time for it is tough outside of lunch time. And lunch time at a downtown gym is ridiculously busy. A 20 minute workout can take 40 minutes because of traffic. I figure a class gives me a guaranteed time for my workout.

I hate the thought of group classes, but meh, whatever...
Trail building or maintenance are great ways to get in better shape. You get to combine riding and working out with the benefit of giving back to the local mtb community. Plus you don't have the monthly expense of a gym membership and like mountain biking,you can do it solo.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Took kiddo #1 for a MTB ride last night at thew newest local park with purpose built bike trails. He rode for an hour, which was amazing in and of itself, good time with a lot of 'extracurricular' activities on trail (ramps, skinny rides, bridges, etc) - kid loved that stuff, even if he was scared to try a few.

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but everyone there seemed to look like me back in 2008 - dj helmet, knee pads, 5-10 shoes...is this the new endurpo style???
Knee pads are also good for keeping old guy knees warm.

Yeah, I hope he gets his shit in order. He just needs to find some friends at the new School and things will shape up. Unfortunately, getting him to go to school is the root of the problem....

I've also changed how I'm handling it, was going right to 100% angry and trying to force the issue.. now, i realized its up to him to figure out how to adjust. I'll just grab a beer and be there when he needs someone to chat.
My old man grabbed the beer and whatever drugs he self-prescribed as a physician and beat the snot out of me. He can rot in hell.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Cross-training of a different kind........

Agreed with wife that our bedroom/bathroom needed to be repainted. Decided on color, new outlets/switches, got a vanity light (though we'll return it, as it didn't fit our scheme), and started yesterday. Finished today, and though I know there are some spots that need touching up, we are happy with results.

Now to go through all the stuff we took out to see what really needs to be returned to our room.

Sorry no pics, too light-headed from paint, did see the movie Founder, liked it, and there goes a squirrel!!!!!!!!!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Afternoon...

Bike maybe....
I tried the run-away option. Got to the neighbor's driveway and stopped to put on a jacket before pops pulled me back in the house.

It was a long, rough emotional run through youth for me. Now, I'm a well adjusted member of society.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I tried the run-away option. Got to the neighbor's driveway and stopped to put on a jacket before pops pulled me back in the house.

It was a long, rough emotional run through youth for me. Now, I'm a well adjusted member of society.
I spent 15 to 17 in foster care. I lived outside my Junior year of high school.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Reached just a hair under 40mph flying through the trees tonight.

Followed that up with some wings. And it looks like next weeks group ride is a go. Yay.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
stoopid busy week, between work and family stuff, will be over tomorrow night. clinging to fuckit friday for some mountain time.

day was made more entertaining by massive amounts of locally-oriented mtb facebook douchebaggery, trolling, and fuckery. oh the joys of the innerwebs.

enjoyed seeing posts about the wall from CO monkeys. Much enjoyed riding down it twice with @Nick last summer!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Trail building or maintenance are great ways to get in better shape. You get to combine riding and working out with the benefit of giving back to the local mtb community. Plus you don't have the monthly expense of a gym membership and like mountain biking,you can do it solo.
soon. very soon. that doesn't really work as a quick lunch-time workout, and doing that outside of work hours would require bringing the kids with me. They are starting to be old enough that I can let them play in the woods sort-of-unsupervised while I work. And even pitching in a bit too.

There's also talk of building a municipal pump track this summer, and I'm trying to find out when that is going to happen so I can bring the boys there.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle

Edit: Call of the Wild, how you gonna keep them on the farm after they've read Jack London?
I felt the same way after reading, "My Side of the Mountain"

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Going in or coming out?

When we first moved to the Champlain Valley, the house next door had bullet holes emerging from the front door. The person who lived there is still a very good friend.
In Buffalo the cops have microphones and puters mounted on streetlights that can point out to the cops where the shots were fired from. I am told it works pretty well.