Quantcast

***Wednesday GMT***

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
:stupid:

Well, *had* one, until they ended the program in favor of a 403B match. But I became fully vested in said pension and can look forward to that when I retire (15 years of contributions).
i'm already vested in mine and am grandfathered in; new employees aren't eligible for pension.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
:stupid: Mine was through Boeing and they ended it fairly soon after I started with the company. I really should look into it and see how much it's worth... :think:
I have one from time in the UK, I probably owe them money at this point...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I’m guessing a lot of y’all have not worked in restaurants. As an old kitchen troll, I always pay with cash. Never, ever use a card in a restaurant where someone walks away from your view with it. Good way to prevent card theft and tip confusion.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I have no pension.

:(

But I do have a 401(a) at 5% me/10% them up to the IRS yearly compensation limit and a good deal of other tax-deferred space in which to play.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have no pension.

:(

But I do have a 401(a) at 5% me/10% them up to the IRS yearly compensation limit and a good deal of other tax-deferred space in which to play.
You pay FICA? With a 401(a) you might get hit with the Windfall Elimination Provision from SS.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Got Haley's bike mostly done last night. Need a 160mm rotor and to get a cassette from @6thElement and I can finish.

Fox 32 Fork
X9 drivetrain
Brood wheels and cranks
Answer J-Unit bar
Shimano disc brakes
Maxxis tires

I have determined that she is indeed a little shithead. She didn't want Giant stickers; she wanted Yeti stickers because they are the best bike. She wants her first "real" bike (ie suspension) to be a Yeti.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I’m guessing a lot of y’all have not worked in restaurants. As an old kitchen troll, I always pay with cash. Never, ever use a card in a restaurant where someone walks away from your view with it. Good way to prevent card theft and tip confusion.
You guys in the US of A are freakin' weird in this regard. I think almost ALL places here, even if they walk away with your credit card, still need to return with the machine so that you can enter your pin and finalize the payment. YOU enter the tip amount/% right on the machine. None of that funny business of writing the tip on a piece of paper and hoping for the best.

In other news, I wish the Toyota Corolla wagon was available in Canada. Or the e-hatchback version. Been looking at the Corolla in hatchback form.....interesting.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Got Haley's bike mostly done last night. Need a 160mm rotor and to get a cassette from @6thElement and I can finish.

Fox 32 Fork
X9 drivetrain
Brood wheels and cranks
Answer J-Unit bar
Shimano disc brakes
Maxxis tires

I have determined that she is indeed a little shithead. She didn't want Giant stickers; she wanted Yeti stickers because they are the best bike. She wants her first "real" bike (ie suspension) to be a Yeti.
well, it'll be a good opportunity for her to learn the definition of "poseur"

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
You pay FICA? With a 401(a) you might get hit with the Windfall Elimination Provision from SS.
I indeed pay FICA. Some state employees are under PERA for their retirement, don't have the 401(a), and don't pay into SS but I'm under the standard system for better or worse.

You guys in the US of A are freakin' weird in this regard. I think almost ALL places here, even if they walk away with your credit card, still need to return with the machine so that you can enter your pin and finalize the payment. YOU enter the tip amount/% right on the machine. None of that funny business of writing the tip on a piece of paper and hoping for the best.
I never carry cash and always tip on the card. But I also add a tip such that the resulting number is a palindrome, e.g. $21.12. If the server is observant enough that they alter it such that the new amount is also a palindrome it'd sneak by me, but I'm ok with that ultimately.

:D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I indeed pay FICA. Some state employees are under PERA for their retirement, don't have the 401(a), and don't pay into SS but I'm under the standard system for better or worse.

I never carry cash and always tip on the card. But I also add a tip such that the resulting number is a palindrome, e.g. $21.12. If the server is observant enough that they alter it such that the new amount is also a palindrome it'd sneak by me, but I'm ok with that ultimately.

:D
nerd.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
well, it'll be a good opportunity for her to learn the definition of "poseur"
I explained that it's lying. She said that she'll tell people it's actually a Giant, but that she wants a Yeti so she put Yeti stickers on it.

I told her about Little Bellas on the way home from school yesterday and she was almost as excited as when I told her about the ski devo program. Being able to ride with only girls who also want to ride mtb was mind blowing to her. Now I just need to find out when they have a program available because they fill up really fast.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Fox 32 Fork
X9 drivetrain
Brood wheels and cranks
Answer J-Unit bar
Shimano disc brakes
Maxxis tires

Might have a 160mm rotor I can throw in, I'll check.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Let's look on the bright side - she gets the cachet of a Yeti and the bonus of it not breaking... 'cause it's not actually a Yeti. :D
I will have you know I only broke my SB66a once and the 303WC DH (Houseman's old bike). All of my other frames survived my wookie ass beating the holy piss out of them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I will have you know I only broke my SB66a once and the 303WC DH (Houseman's old bike). All of my other frames survived my wookie ass beating the holy piss out of them.
there's a director in my building who has cracked 3 yeti's in the last 2 years.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
All y'all are like "mortgage rate this, 401(k) return that" and I'm over here rollin' outta the weekend like...

*No Yetis were cracked or broked in the capturing of this image.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
If only my (unrideabru... non-crabon... 6 year old...) Yeti ASR-5 would break I could justify N+1...

After years of dwindling saddle time, it's finally time for big boy wheels (27.5+)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
If only my (unrideabru... non-crabon... 6 year old...) Yeti ASR-5 would break I could justify N+1...

After years of dwindling saddle time, it's finally time for big boy wheels (27.5+)
From my experience you don't want 27.5 plus. Go straight 27.5" or 29" so that you can have supra-EXO durability sidewalls. But if you're easy on tires disregard.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
All y'all are like "mortgage rate this, 401(k) return that" and I'm over here rollin' outta the weekend like...

*No Yetis were cracked or broked in the capturing of this image.
That's a really cool pattern of moss on that rock. Looks like a painting. The riding is ok, too, maybe even more than meh.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Had to take the Toaster back to the dealer cuz it’s leaking from the drain plug after they changed the oil. Grrrrr

Noticed that one of the service guys walked all the way around my car with his phone like he was taking a video.

Anyone have a clue why they would do that ?

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Had to take the Toaster back to the dealer cuz it’s leaking from the drain plug after they changed the oil. Grrrrr

Noticed that one of the service guys walked all the way around my car with his phone like he was taking a video.

could be doing a brief visual inspection, or the tech taking a video in the event you say "iT diDNT MAke THiS NoiSE bEfORe yOU woRKeD oN IT"

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

usually as a "before" pic in case you try to claim it got any dents / scratches while it was in the shop.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What portion do they cover, and what portion do you? That's potentially worth $1400+/mo.
As a contractor, I am currently paying $1200/month for really bad coverage. It would be tough to do worse. The wife's new gig has amazing insurance, so it might be moot.

Randomshot

Monkey
Mar 12, 2009
Ft. Collins
So is 4130 just too heavy for your guys' riding style? I only have experience in bmx/dj. But ive never had a problem. Well, dented a frame. Top tube. But it still never failed

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
So is 4130 just too heavy for your guys' riding style? I only have experience in bmx/dj. But ive never had a problem. Well, dented a frame. Top tube. But it still never failed
Are there even any steel, dual suspension trail bikes these days? Can't say I've seen anything but hardtails recently, but I will readily admit to paying little attention, so I could just be blissfully unaware.