Quantcast

***Wednesday GMT***

One thing I've noticed driving around the states lately is how most of your rural roads have absolutely zero shoulder pavement. That has to be balls out scary for road riders; you're either left of the white line or in the ditch eating rhubarb.

Most roads up here have at least a little pavement to the right of the white line, which makes it a little easier when riding. But yeah still, fuck riding on the road. Too many asshats and people not paying attention. I wish towns and the cities on the outskirts of Toronto had more interconnected paths to ride on like Denver or Ottawa.
It varies by state and region. NY tends to have better margins and worse pavement than VT, for instance.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
We are so lucky here, we have ~75 miles of tarmac with no cars, including to the top of Teton Pass. I only worry about traffic in town. But it’s about a mile from my house in a suburban neighborhood to the bike path.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
sucka cager.
I have a pretty nice, 0 incremental carbon cost cage, though. And a few miles of my commute now are on this road, which I do not particularly enjoy:

Capture.PNG

(When it's 80 degrees and sunny as when the Street View car went through last it wouldn't be so bad, but at 28 degrees, with debris and sometimes ice in the neglected unprotected bike lane, and drivers weaving about as they look at their phones...)

Hopefully soon my usual route will reopen after over a year of ongoing construction, where I'll be on separated paths +/- pavement from my house to being on the my actual campus.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
upside; I live in a SUPER cycling-friendly town where almost everyone pedals and is aware

downside; so many tourists here to always keep it a "taking pictures out of the driver's window" level of dangerous
Finished some parts so @mandown and his friends can hang out together. Prob one of my faves. Also finished up a quick rebuild of a Wilton vise I picked up cheap. Just been relaxing in the garage the last couple nights. It’s been nice.
soooo, when can we start placing orders for those sweet chamferless sockets? hmmm? :brows:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
soooo, when can we start placing orders for those sweet chamferless sockets? hmmm? :brows:
I picked up some material. I have a few small jobs to finish up and then plan on running those. If anyone’s interested please send me PM. I’ll most likely just do the sets of 5 if that works for everyone. Not sure if people want the tray or just the sockets.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not sure what you mean by that. Some roadies tend to be jackasses, more frequent, I think, than in MTB, but "busier roads than they should be on"? Save for interstates, roads are open to bicycles... This with bias - I'm quite happy riding in insane traffic.
Skyline has no shoulder and full of blind corners. To then ride 3+ abreast just seems like a dick move. There are other hilly, windy roads in which to ride that aren't major roads.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
24 more hours, big honey do list today.
lost 9 pounds since mid November in preparation.
im ready as I will ever be...weird feeling to be knowingly walking into the helicopter blades of pain, and still doing it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
24 more hours, big honey do list today.
lost 9 pounds since mid November in preparation.
im ready as I will ever be...weird feeling to be knowingly walking into the helicopter blades of pain, and still doing it.
Whats the alternative though, no more riding?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I picked up some material. I have a few small jobs to finish up and then plan on running those. If anyone’s interested please send me PM. I’ll most likely just do the sets of 5 if that works for everyone. Not sure if people want the tray or just the sockets.
post in the DH forum, i'll bet you'll pick up some interest.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Hit the gym hard tonight. 30 minutes of cardio to warm up before hitting the weights. I added 10 pound to the stack for every station. 10 stations @ 20 reps each except squats which get 30 reps, and I did 5 rotations plus 300 situps

I was shaking with fatigue by the end

much masochistic fun was had