Quantcast

***Wednesday GMT***

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Bossman just asked me to logon to our Dell portal and build a new laptop quote, for myself. I asked what the cost limit is and I quote "< $2000 but a little over is fine". Man this is going to one wicked fast computer for sending emails and RDP'ing to servers with. :rofl:
$2000 Ridemonkey Machine

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My youngest struggles with school (grade 2). We're doing online learning this week (and possibly next), and he has a hard time keeping up. He's so frustrated and angry. He was crying from frustration this morning. It breaks my heart, because I know he wants to do well. He hasn't been turned off of school. yet. I think it will take a lot of effort to keep that from happening. And lord knows I'm trying, but I'm not an educator and goddam that shit's hard yo.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My youngest struggles with school (grade 2). We're doing online learning this week (and possibly next), and he has a hard time keeping up. He's so frustrated and angry. He was crying from frustration this morning. It breaks my heart, because I know he wants to do well. He hasn't been turned off of school. yet. I think it will take a lot of effort to keep that from happening. And lord knows I'm trying, but I'm not an educator and goddam that shit's hard yo.
remind him he's not the only one struggling right now. online school is challenging for *everyone*

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Times like this I am glad mine are now grown. It seems like quite the shit show around here as it doesn't appear like any of the kids are schooling, just playing.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
remind him he's not the only one struggling right now. online school is challenging for *everyone*
:stupid:

My wife is a Grade 2 teacher. Can verify that shit's weird for everyone.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I have a nephew in middle school that is really struggling. Normally a very high performer who is now basically failing. My brother has been pretty much beside himself concerned that his kid may be held back a grade. My take on it was that it may be a good thing he is held back. These are unusual circumstances that don't exactly reflect the quality of the kids intellect. Being held back in middle school isn't going to really affect him down the road assuming he gets back on track. He is young for his grade and there is a lot of data showing kids do better when they are older than their peers. The only real drawback is having a parasite living in your house for another year.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have a nephew in middle school that is really struggling. Normally a very high performer who is now basically failing. My brother has been pretty much beside himself concerned that his kid may be held back a grade. My take on it was that it may be a good thing he is held back. These are unusual circumstances that don't exactly reflect the quality of the kids intellect. Being held back in middle school isn't going to really affect him down the road assuming he gets back on track. He is young for his grade and there is a lot of data showing kids do better when they are older than their peers. The only real drawback is having a parasite living in your house for another year.
one downside to that is the social impact of being removed from one group of peers and being placed into another.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
one downside to that is the social impact of being removed from one group of peers and being placed into another.
Yes. But my nephew in particular could learn from that challenge and is well suited to over come it. Most of his social circle comes from playing sports so he isn't 100% tied to grade level.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
getting a tooth pulled tomorrow...hoopie doo
Easy peasy. It's putting them back that sucks donkey testicles.
I have a smoking fast Dell laptop. When I really need power it screams for thirty seconds then gets thermally throttled to 486 levels.
I kinda fixed mine with re-pasting, installation of 3rd party heatsinks on power mosfets, generous undervolting and more agile speedshift profiles in ThrottleStop. And external GPU for games because there's no way to run both CPU and GPU anywhere near their peak levels for longer than 30s thanks to termal throttling of the power supply components.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Easy peasy. It's putting them back that sucks donkey testicles.

I kinda fixed mine with re-pasting, installation of 3rd party heatsinks on power mosfets, generous undervolting and more agile speedshift profiles in ThrottleStop. And external GPU for games because there's no way to run both CPU and GPU anywhere near their peak levels for longer than 30s thanks to termal throttling of the power supply components.
This is my work laptop so I don't care so much. My personal one is an HP and has much much better cooling. I can prevent it from throttling if I space it allowing more airflow to the bottom vents.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
My old laptop has just finally given up the ghost. (2012 Lenovo Ideapad Y580, I7, GTX, 16G/1TB sata) .Dead battery, a couple non essential missing key covers and the case has broken allowing one hinge to break though. All the parts required are not available, so new laptop time. My christmas present was a new Lenovo Legion 5i (I7, RTX graphics, 16G, 1TB SSD) and it was a black friday sale for under 2k pre-tax. Was looking at Dell as well, but the heat issues are legion.

The worst part is going to be finally having to really learn Win10 (Currently Win7 Ultimate) and rebuilding my virtual machines and deciding on what software I still need.

Do I still need a packet sniffer if I'm retired?

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The worst part is going to be finally having to really learn Win10 (Currently Win7 Ultimate) and rebuilding my virtual machines and deciding on what software I still need.
Dude, virtual machines are so yesterday. It's all about Docker nowadays! :D
Win10 is fine, smoother running than 7 I'd say.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Dude, virtual machines are so yesterday. It's all about Docker nowadays! :D
Win10 is fine, smoother running than 7 I'd say.
Security vs development....
My VM's (Windows and Linux) are for digging around in places that tend to corrupt machines. Think digging for drivers, older software versions without the ad-crap, Minix images etc. Much easier to dump a corrupted VM and restore from a backup copy. I am also having a hard time dumping my Kali Linux penetration testing box, even though I have not hacked anything since retirement.

Kali and Wireshark are like a security blanket, but I guess it is time to put away childish things. The Cisco firewall appliance stays though.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I am kinda curious about the Silicon Macs. The first tests popping up online sound too good to be true with regards to battery, heat and speed. But would be killer for photo/video editing. If only they would have a full keyboard without that stupid touch bar. I need the function keys.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Security vs development....
My VM's (Windows and Linux) are for digging around in places that tend to corrupt machines. Think digging for drivers, older software versions without the ad-crap, Minix images etc. Much easier to dump a corrupted VM and restore from a backup copy. I am also having a hard time dumping my Kali Linux penetration testing box, even though I have not hacked anything since retirement.

Kali and Wireshark are like a security blanket, but I guess it is time to put away childish things.
You should check out the latest WSL2 in Win10. With that, you can run Docker linux images pretty much natively, with much less space and processing overhead than VMs. Microsoft did an amazing job with supporting Linux core.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am kinda curious about the Silicon Macs. The first tests popping up online sound too good to be true with regards to battery, heat and speed. But would be killer for photo/video editing. If only they would have a full keyboard without that stupid touch bar. I need the function keys.
I have one on a direct order from the manufacturer, a an Air M1 with 16GB/.5TB for work. It does NOT have the touch bar, unlike the M1 PowerBook. It should be arriving sometime this year. My first Mac... :panic:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
You should check out the latest WSL2 in Win10. With that, you can run Docker linux images pretty much natively, with much less space and processing overhead than VMs. Microsoft did an amazing job with supporting Linux core.

Will check it out.
Unfortunately, since the TBI and retirement I no longer have the ability to easily and quickly assimilate information so have not kept up.
Thank-you.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I have one on a direct order from the manufacturer, a an Air M1 with 16GB/.5TB for work. It does NOT have the touch bar, unlike the M1 PowerBook. It should be arriving sometime this year. My first Mac... :panic:
Yeah, Air does not have the touch bar but I need more power for bioinformatics stuff. Waiting for the 16" and iMac and want to see if all those Linux programs I need still can be run on them. BTW: never buy a first generation product ever, especially from Apple.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
BTW: never buy a first generation product ever, especially from Apple.
I know but I need a dev machine now, and don't want to spend $$$ for any of the older Intel models. The "entry level" ones are all M1s now. I hope that Apple knows that they cannot afford a fuck up with the new M1 platform. :panic:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Now the US has officially reached banana republic status. Holy shit!

Dirtrider

noah
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Bossman just asked me to logon to our Dell portal and build a new laptop quote, for myself. I asked what the cost limit is and I quote "< $2000 but a little over is fine". Man this is going to one wicked fast computer for sending emails and RDP'ing to servers with. :rofl:
In the way of Ridemonkey this build deserves its own thread.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I am on my 6th or 7th year with my current work laptop (Dell precision m6800). My boss and IT has offered to get me one of the new laptops all the engineers are on (whatever the latest touchscreen version of that is out there), but having to reinstall/move/setup everything again has me all mehhh. Dozens of programs/software and hundreds of user settings for all I dread having to redo.

Supposedly the things are like $3500-4000...don't know wtf they do to them to get that high.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I am on my 6th or 7th year with my current work laptop (Dell precision m6800). My boss and IT has offered to get me one of the new laptops all the engineers are on (whatever the latest touchscreen version of that is out there), but having to reinstall/move/setup everything again has me all mehhh. Dozens of programs/software and hundreds of user settings for all I dread having to redo.
You dork - all IT will do is clone your drive, plaster that shit on the new drive, and you'll be off to the races! Except way faster now...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
You dork - all IT will do is clone your drive, plaster that shit on the new drive, and you'll be off to the races! Except way faster now...
Nope....they just provide the stock corporate image with Office and a few ERP/corporate programs. Everything else is on our own... multiple CAD packages, 3D printer software, dozens of metrology/equipment software, vision system software, etc etc.