Quantcast

***Wednesday GMT***

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah man, if your computer is that old, I'm guessing it doesn't have an SSD in it. If not, you're missing out. Either way, you're missing out. And yeah those engineering laptops get expensive quick - the ram and processors options add up and they are just generally more cost. I guess it's expensive cramming all that crap into such a cramped hot area.

And yeah why are you worried, isn't that ITs job? There are ways to replicate your user profile. :)

As a side note, I picked the laptop I wanted and it came to $1400 on the nose. I opted to not get the touch screen option.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Nope....they just provide the stock corporate image with Office. Everything else is on our own... multiple CAD packages, 3D printer software, dozens of metrology/equipment software, vision system software, etc etc.
Who installs it all?

Our organization blocks all that and for good reason. Can't be having engineers screwing shit up or stealing software. :D

Yeah man, if your computer is that old, I'm guessing it doesn't have an SSD in it. If not, you're missing out. Either way, you're missing out. And yeah those engineering laptops get expensive quick - the ram and processors options add up and they are just generally more cost. I guess it's expensive cramming all that crap into such a cramped hot area.

And yeah why are you worried, isn't that ITs job? There are ways to replicate your user profile. :)

As a side note, I picked the laptop I wanted and it came to $1400 on the nose. I opted to not get the touch screen option.
I sort of like touch screen on occasion. I'm running an Inspiron 15-7568, which is adequate after replacing C: with a SSD, but I'm going to do some more homework should the need arise to replace it.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Who installs it all?

Our organization blocks all that and for good reason. Can't be having engineers screwing shit up or stealing software. :D
We install it all ourselves, they provide temporary LAPs when requested.

It's a blessing and a curse, to say the least.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am on my 6th or 7th year with my current work laptop (Dell precision m6800). My boss and IT has offered to get me one of the new laptops all the engineers are on (whatever the latest touchscreen version of that is out there), but having to reinstall/move/setup everything again has me all mehhh. Dozens of programs/software and hundreds of user settings for all I dread having to redo.

Supposedly the things are like $3500-4000...don't know wtf they do to them to get that high.
I have always had dell computers for work. They have always needed a new main board or other piece of hardware replaced every year or so.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've had my current work Dell Precision 5520 for a couple of years. I think I disabled the touch screen the day after I got it.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Handling IT for a science/engineering company of 60,000 employees with a CRAZY diverse product/service portfolio seems like a pretty challenging gig, to be fair.