Quantcast

***Wednesday GMT***

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I'm just thankful to have a full head of hair at my age. Both my brothers and half my contemporaries aren't so lucky.
There are those few of us with the exact opposite problem. I too am grateful for having a full head of hair at my age. But the amount of new hair growth is just ridiculous. My eyebrows need trimming as often as my beard. Which could be used as a comb over if I do go bald. Hair patches have spouted in other areas that require a beard trimmer to maintain. Ear and nose hair have turned into something from the bottom of the ocean. And manscaping in now mandatory just to keep the hair to junk ratio in check. Can’t have more hair in your crotch than balls. Oh and it’s all turning from red to gray. Wonder if transginger is a hair color option when I have to get my DL renewed ?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There are those few of us with the exact opposite problem. I too am grateful for having a full head of hair at my age. But the amount of new hair growth is just ridiculous. My eyebrows need trimming as often as my beard. Which could be used as a comb over if I do go bald. Hair patches have spouted in other areas that require a beard trimmer to maintain. Ear and nose hair have turned into something from the bottom of the ocean. And manscaping in now mandatory just to keep the hair to junk ratio in check. Can’t have more hair in your crotch than balls. Oh and it’s all turning from red to gray. Wonder if transginger is a hair color option when I have to get my DL renewed ?
i gotta do my eyebrows too, and i'm not even 40. what's up with that? i've threatened my wife that I'll just let them go full wizard

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
TMI, for the record.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:stupid:

and also:

TMI, for the record.
:stupid:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Present, but unsure if I'm accounted for.

I watched “The Photographer of Mauthausen” last night. All in subtitles but very worth it. Seems somewhat fitting for the things going on in the world currently. Would highly recommend.
Oddly so did I, second time watching it and yeah, damn good movie, and well worth a watch.

Speaking of things going on in the world currently, my wife got a new student from Ukraine 2 days ago. Poor kid is a bit of a mess, understandably so, and just wants to be normal/not talk about home but when the class is currently going over things around the house in Spanish it's kinda tricky.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Kyle Mears, late 2016:

And apparently Kenny Smith in 2011? WTF?

I remember when Mears did it, and I recall there being a big stink about it for whatever reason. Moab locals were pissed, Mears & Nate Hills both took down videos of it from Instagram.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Sorta between the Breville Barista Express, Calphalon Temp iq which seems to be very similar to the Breville but cheaper, or Gaggia Classic Pro. Seems silly to go too much higher end than that, one of my mom's friends is apparently a Jura rep, but even if I got a pretty decent discount they're out of my league. They'd all be a huge step up from my Delonghi.

I dig the idea of a built in grinder so I have one less thing cluttering my counter/hogging outlets, and the metered water so I don't do what I always do and run the water too long and water down my shot.
ooooo. i went through this maybe 2 years ago. wound up with the gaggia classic pro, have been very happy with it. it was a bit of a learning curve at first, but it was a new machine and i was getting things dialed in. one of the big draws for me is the availability of repair parts if something breaks (worth noting: the prior version - the original gaggia classic - was on the market for something like 30 years and was supported the entire time). it's a very good quality beginner machine. i didn't look at either of the other models you listed as i wasn't looking for a 2 in 1 machine. one thing about the 2 in 1 semi-automatics (espresso machine with grinder) is that if you're unhappy with one portion - the grinder or the boiler/pump - you are basically stuck or will be replacing the whole thing. i had a good enough quality manual hand grinder when i first got the gaggia that i got by. the quality was good, just took labor and time. my plan was to eventually get a good quality grinder, which I did and picked the sette baratza 270wi. i've also been very happy with that (although it did cost more than the gaggia). i do agree with the notion that money is typically better spent on a high quality grinder than espresso machine, because a good machine and technique can't compensate for a so-so (inconsistent) grind (where you can pull a decent shot on most machines with a good grind and bean)
@jonKranked been debating just upgrading grinders and keeping the Delonghi in service for a bit longer too. Seems like maybe the way to go, and grab a Gaggia at some point in the future. The plethora or replacement parts is a big plus for them.

Not looking to totally nerd out, just want to make my coffee a bit better. I want the Wiha screwdriver of espresso, don’t need to go full Nepros, but want something better that’ll last longer than craftsman, if that makes sense. I’m sure my current espresso is crap, just started using filtered water like 2 weeks ago, but since it’s pretty much on par with most coffee shops I’m sorta flying blind on what “better” even means.
first off, you're already starting to nerd out. just go with it.

which delonghi do you have? unless the wheels are starting to fall off (or there are outright issues with it) i think the route of getting a good quality grinder first isn't a bad idea.

the gaggia classic/pro is widely considered pretty much THE best beginner machine. its solid, its not overcomplicated, repair parts are readily available, and if you like to tinker there are people that make modifications/upgrades to it - PIDs, timers, preinfusion, etc.
I'm taking this conversation to today's thread :D

FWIW, I think @jonKranked is correct. Start by investing in a good grinder. That Baratza Sette he has is really nice for low-retention, meaning you don't wind up with stale coffee from yesterday in today's brew. You also get easily reproducible grinds so you can really dial in a bean for your extraction technique (whatever that may be - a pour-over, a mokka pot, an aeropress, a cheap espresso machine, or an expensive espresso machine).

I also echo his sentiment about getting a classic, time-proven machine that can be easily fixed locally, and has good parts availability. Espresso machines aren't rocket science and are generally pretty reliable. But the more plastic you use, and the more delicate the ensemble is, the more problems you will encounter. That Gaggia Classic is by all accounts a really solid machine. I would also throw in the Rancilio Silvia into the conversation.

But if you already know all that, and think you may, at some point jump in off the deep end, have a look at this forum: Home-Barista.com • Forums . It's sort of the ridemonkey of coffee. I'd recommend getting a dual boiler e-63 machine and a proper single-dose grinder. You're looking at a $3-5K upfront investment, but you'll enjoy amazing coffee, all the time. in fact, you won't want to go out for coffee anymore since you won't be able to find coffee as good as at home out of the home. Again, this is only if you think you might really pursue the geek factor to the extreme, because why bother dropping one or two grand now, if you're going to wind up dropping another three to five grand a little farther down the road.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm taking this conversation to today's thread :D

FWIW, I think @jonKranked is correct. Start by investing in a good grinder. That Baratza Sette he has is really nice for low-retention, meaning you don't wind up with stale coffee from yesterday in today's brew. You also get easily reproducible grinds so you can really dial in a bean for your extraction technique (whatever that may be - a pour-over, a mokka pot, an aeropress, a cheap espresso machine, or an expensive espresso machine).

I also echo his sentiment about getting a classic, time-proven machine that can be easily fixed locally, and has good parts availability. Espresso machines aren't rocket science and are generally pretty reliable. But the more plastic you use, and the more delicate the ensemble is, the more problems you will encounter. That Gaggia Classic is by all accounts a really solid machine. I would also throw in the Rancilio Silvia into the conversation.

But if you already know all that, and think you may, at some point jump in off the deep end, have a look at this forum: Home-Barista.com • Forums . It's sort of the ridemonkey of coffee. I'd recommend getting a dual boiler e-63 machine and a proper single-dose grinder. You're looking at a $3-5K upfront investment, but you'll enjoy amazing coffee, all the time. in fact, you won't want to go out for coffee anymore since you won't be able to find coffee as good as at home out of the home. Again, this is only if you think you might really pursue the geek factor to the extreme, because why bother dropping one or two grand now, if you're going to wind up dropping another three to five grand a little farther down the road.
things i really like about my grinder:

-it's a flow through grinder (grinds/dispenses straight into my portafilter)
-LOTS of grinder settings, so it was easy to dial in
-built in scale. i like this a lot more than i was expecting. doses within spec every time.

the ONE thing i did have to get for it was a dosing funnel, it made a huge difference. it did have a tendency to spill excess, and the funnel has stopped it. i did have to find one specific for my setup (the gaggia portafilter has the lock tabs clocked differently and the grinder has this curved holder thing, so normal dosing funnels don't work) but i found someone that designed one for my exact configuration. dude was in like israel or something but it was only $20.

found the exact dosing funnel:

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Another nice thing about those Baratza grinders - they have a "Repair Program" that they will fix your grinder up for a set fee. My old Maestro grinder blew a system board and due to some old design quirks, it was going to be a major PITA to try to replace the board myself (even though it was available for $12) - so I sent it back to Baratza and for $40 they replaced the board, put a new switch in, and replace the actual grinding burr with an updated model.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
in fact, you won't want to go out for coffee anymore since you won't be able to find coffee as good as at home out of the home.
I already don't want to go out for coffee anymore, that's part of my trepidation in spending a grip right now, I already virtually never get coffee anywhere but home so my potential cost savings is non existent. This will actually be making my daily shot much more expensive.

Pretty sure I'm talked into going good grinder since my current burr grinder is on the fritz anyway.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I already don't want to go out for coffee anymore, that's part of my trepidation in spending a grip right now, I already virtually never get coffee anywhere but home so my potential cost savings is non existent. This will actually be making my daily shot much more expensive.

Pretty sure I'm talked into going good grinder since my current burr grinder is on the fritz anyway.
you won't regret it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Season results were just updated. Haley moved up season rankings 13/22 > 8/22. Is consistently faster than 4-7 (in overall standings) and back by 5, 2, 1, 1 points correspondingly. She might be up to top-4/5 overall w/in 2 races. 1-3 are too far ahead to catch unless they miss races.

Given she seems to have gotten her emotions under control with this race, it's on like Donkey Kong!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@AngryMetalsmith i found some advice on ultralight backpacking for you:

A paperback book? Tear out the pages you have already read, for the past is but an illusion. Snacks? Bring only one breadcrust, and trust Providence not to leave you starving. A baggie with a full ounce of weed? That’s fine, actually. Hang on to that.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
@AngryMetalsmith i found some advice on ultralight backpacking for you:

A paperback book? Tear out the pages you have already read, for the past is but an illusion. Snacks? Bring only one breadcrust, and trust Providence not to leave you starving. A baggie with a full ounce of weed? That’s fine, actually. Hang on to that.
Only one ounce for five months...bahaha...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You’re going to meet me there with a mountain bike and some shoes right ? I don’t think I can go five months without riding.
if you're serious, the section i'm talking about traverses a ridge line, and on the north side of it is a lift access bike park. red marker is the bike park, yellow highlight is the AT.

1649279420286.png

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
State [package good] Beer store in Mauch Chunk (Jim Thorpe) is the best one for miles around...

Never rode Blue Mountain, though I think I had my first and ultimately unsuccessful ski lesson there in the early-80s.

Mom's old house was in Andreas PA, a scant 20 miles away:

1649280466590.png

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Vacation land Boise, Idaho. Had to take my bike to a lbs here in town after yesterday's rock garden tuck n roll. Shop says they'll have the drive train sorted by the end of the day. That is the bad ass stuff right there. Didn't even name drop my homies until after he had agreed to help me out.

Nachos were found and destroyed. Parks and ice cream have all been had.

What a place I tell ya. @SkaredShtles