Quantcast

[~]>wednesdazed gmt>[~]

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I got reamed by some random cunt while pedaling around with my kid in a bjorn.
Good times.
At the time, I lived in an old town area that had quite a few shops and stuff, so it was always busy. Never got chewed out, but you could hear people talk. Some people thought it was adorable, others were surprised. I heard a few asking others if it was a real baby haha. I loved riding with him and he loved it. He was always smiling and looking around. Quite a few times he would fall asleep from the semi-rocking motion. My wife hated it. Most people seem to think it's weird and dangerous, but they don't really have any reasoning behind it. Not like you can't get hit by a car with the kid in a stroller or something else.

People are morons. The one time I did get cussed out, I was going to 'kill my dog' by running him while on the bike. Keep in mind it's a 90lb GSD and he goes nuts when I even get the leash out to ride the bike. 99% of the time, he's the one pulling me.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Because Americans feel like they need to drive their kids everywhere. Heaven forbid you ride a bike with your kid on it, even though almost every other country does.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Yup...been cruising Craigslist. Just need to find one. Then I can make biking and watching the kid one activity.
you got the tools.....build a god damn side hack....put kid seat in side hack.

come on! :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I biked to daycare with my 2 y.o. today. It was still (just) below freezing, but he enjoyed it. I'm getting sick and tired of walking, I can't wait for permanent, full-time bike weather to set it... I have one of these bike seats that sits on a pannier rack:

I used it for my first, and it's still going strong for my second. They're great. I like it better than the Chariot (we have two of those friggin' things) for two reasons: it doesn't hang out behind me for some idiot driver to run over, and it doesn't generate extra drag.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Chimpex = up Chimney Gulch, down Apex. A local favorite which SS has NO BUSINESS RIDING while we're stuck in the airport/traffic/working! :nope:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
after morning dentist appt for kids (dental assistants, y u all so hot?) took em to the hills to hike lost cove cliffs. great weather and views; extra bonus, now they're both crashed out in the back seat.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I know! not to mention I have lift-accessed riding 15 minutes from home. At least I don't have a gun to my head. If I don't get my asking price, I'll keep it, swallow my pride, and go meet and ride with some young 30-something y.o. kids...
I learned along time ago not to rely on others to go riding. Just roll solo.

The past several years I've been doing just trail riding on a bike with dh geometry and it's been great.

Although, if I had lift access 15 min. from home, I would still have a DH bike.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Highway 40 from Knoxville to Ashville was a really cool drive too. Florida not so much but I did that at night with no traffic. Heading home I may go through Charlotte to avoid driving home on 95. Anybody know if that drive is better?
The most scenic route and probably less stressful drive than going 95 would be taking 81 through VA. It's mountainous the whole way. Not sure where you would be coming from so it could be out of your way.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The most scenic route and probably less stressful drive than going 95 would be taking 81 through VA. It's mountainous the whole way. Not sure where you would be coming from so it could be out of your way.
Driving from Miami to NYC. I am more thinking about 26 to Columbia and then 77 to 81 via Charlotte. 26 was pretty boring and a lot of traffic heading into Columbia Sunday evening.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I learned along time ago not to rely on others to go riding. Just roll solo.

The past several years I've been doing just trail riding on a bike with dh geometry and it's been great.

Although, if I had lift access 15 min. from home, I would still have a DH bike.
oh, I'll ride trail solo no problem. I just find DH kinda risky. I've had to drive myself home with a broken arm before and almost didn't make it; I was worried I'd pass out from the pain (yeah I'm a pussy!).

I just checked the buy and sell on PB, and there's plenty of bikes in the 2-3k range. I think I'll sell my bike this year, pick up a dirt jumper and a good bike for my son, and when neither of my kids are in daycare anymore and have more cashflow, get back into DH. I think of it more as an "aurevoir" than an "adieu"....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

81 is a purdy drive but I hate that road. Semis drag racing each other up and down the hills at 40 mph.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Made it to South Beach, Florida after more than 1500 miles later Saturday night. Amazing weather and topless girls on the beach. Driving back Saturday morning. Did some nice sightseeing along the way. This is from Skyline Drive

Also went by Devils Backbone brewery and picked up tons of beer. Some of it literally came straight from the filling machine.

Highway 40 from Knoxville to Ashville was a really cool drive too. Florida not so much but I did that at night with no traffic. Heading home I may go through Charlotte to avoid driving home on 95. Anybody know if that drive is better?

I was at DBB last Saturday. There were lots of weirdos there. Biker gangs, Bros, monacle wearing filthy rich.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I was at DBB last Saturday. There were lots of weirdos there. Biker gangs, Bros, monacle wearing filthy rich.
Ha I was there in the morning when they were setting things up. Helps to have VIP access :)

I might just take 95 and save the two hours extra driving.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I'm writing a proposal to present a 35 minute workshop at a 2016 conference… in Hawaii. :cool:
Proposal officially submitted. There are already 2 people from my section who are most likely going. Our section is sized such that having more than 3 away at any given meeting would cause lots of scheduling problems. My hope is that getting this workshop proposal accepted will cement my free* trip to Hawaii.

* I get a certain amount of money each year to use towards licensing, membership fees and business travel. This would go under my budget so isn't actually free, but it's not coming from my regular salary, at least. :thumb: