Quantcast

><> Wednesderp GMT<><

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I didn't write the rules. :busted:

Plus I'm still getting out there and doing it. And I ride real trails at least 4 days per week. But am certainly no beast like @Da Peach
Haha. Far from “beast” status. Plus I’m going on a bike trip to Glacier where I think it won’t be possible to ride any trails on Trailforks on at least one day. We shall see..

You’d think I’d earn credit for the 15 days in a row I rode in June!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
do you mean 800? because riders that are still on streak is already below 2500
do you mean 800? because riders that are still on streak is already below 2500
Ah, I’d only looked at the last column. When I was looking at the “# earners “ at each of my badges to date last night, they were up around 8k for each. That chart has much better news.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
back on the TV topic.... what alternatives out there to chromecast? my one gripe about it is that its wifi only, for high res content it can be inconsistent and i've had better luck with something hard wired with an ethernet cable. what's out there? i'm aware of apple tv, but that's a bit on the pricey side. only reason i'm looking for something is that LG's smart TV system doesn't have any HBO apps.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
shouldn't have posted the link. i just flagged it. :busted:
Just curious, did you actually flag it? I looked in the admin panel and don't see any flags...

Haha. Far from “beast” status. Plus I’m going on a bike trip to Glacier where I think it won’t be possible to ride any trails on Trailforks on at least one day. We shall see..

You’d think I’d earn credit for the 15 days in a row I rode in June!
Add a trail! :thumb:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
back on the TV topic.... what alternatives out there to chromecast? my one gripe about it is that its wifi only, for high res content it can be inconsistent and i've had better luck with something hard wired with an ethernet cable. what's out there? i'm aware of apple tv, but that's a bit on the pricey side. only reason i'm looking for something is that LG's smart TV system doesn't have any HBO apps.
The lady friends PlayStation has all the apps we use. Never had an issue with Chromecast that's built in. I don't think its playing from your phone/device to the TV... You're just telling the TV to play it? Don't know how that works really, but the built in Chromecast abilities of the PlayStation and TV have always worked great.

edit...maybe I'm confusing this with built in YouTube apps....?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The lady friends PlayStation has all the apps we use. Never had an issue with Chromecast that's built in. I don't think its playing from your phone/device to the TV... You're just telling the TV to play it? Don't know how that works really, but the built in Chromecast abilities of the PlayStation and TV have always worked great.

edit...maybe I'm confusing this with built in YouTube apps....?
i've got a ps3, HBO no longer supports it.

the way chromecast works is that it connects directly to your wifi, but all the authorization for content playback comes from your phone. standalone chromecast units are wifi only, can't connect to ethernet for better bandwidth.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
i've got a ps3, HBO no longer supports it.

the way chromecast works is that it connects directly to your wifi, but all the authorization for content playback comes from your phone. standalone chromecast units are wifi only, can't connect to ethernet for better bandwidth.
What about just using a computer to play back anything you want? You can get tiny computers now that you can hide behind the tv with some Velcro. You'd solve the wifi thing and can use the computer for more than just playing back movies and whatnot.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What about just using a computer to play back anything you want? You can get tiny computers now that you can hide behind the tv with some Velcro. You'd solve the wifi thing and can use the computer for more than just playing back movies and whatnot.
tiny computers are still more $$ than standalone media players. i just did a quick google and it seems like roku has an ethernet connected device.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
https://help.hbogola.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025525811-How-do-I-get-HBO-GO-on-LG-TV- lmgtfy

I have an LG TV downstairs, a samsung in the basement, and a TCL upstairs. The LG is the workhorse, I think its a 55 or 65, smart TV 4k whatever. TVs are so good nowadays that the cheapest one is almost always worlds better than anything I grew up with. I have no 4k content so I don't care- 60hz looks better on the eyes than 120hz unless you're watching sports, and unless you have no children and are able to turn off all the lights and make a true cinematic experience, I think you're going to have a challenge truly appreciating dark blacks and wonderful, vibrant colors. I am generally happy when there are no fingerprints on a character's face.

The TCL has Roku, and that's a fantastic system. Even gets the Redbull app, still, I believe. RB killed its app on the samsung and LG tv, for reasons unknown. Some TVs have a wired ethernet, if you want to live within the smart TV ecosystem. I originally thought smart TVs were dumb, but having youtube and netflix a click away is phenomenal. I'd cut the cord if it wouldn't only save me like $0.30 a month.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
regarding the melatonin- it's not worth drugging my kid when he's clearly going through some level of separation anxiety or new mental discovery (bad dreams, fear of the dark, etc). If I get desperate for sleep I'd try it, but I'm more likely to just plop a cot on the floor and take turns with the wife. I sleep well enough that a week on the floor ain't so bad...it's just the interruptions and anxiety of wondering whether the little shit is going to wake up at 3 or 5 screaming...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
https://help.hbogola.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025525811-How-do-I-get-HBO-GO-on-LG-TV- lmgtfy

I have an LG TV downstairs, a samsung in the basement, and a TCL upstairs. The LG is the workhorse, I think its a 55 or 65, smart TV 4k whatever. TVs are so good nowadays that the cheapest one is almost always worlds better than anything I grew up with. I have no 4k content so I don't care- 60hz looks better on the eyes than 120hz unless you're watching sports, and unless you have no children and are able to turn off all the lights and make a true cinematic experience, I think you're going to have a challenge truly appreciating dark blacks and wonderful, vibrant colors. I am generally happy when there are no fingerprints on a character's face.

The TCL has Roku, and that's a fantastic system. Even gets the Redbull app, still, I believe. RB killed its app on the samsung and LG tv, for reasons unknown. Some TVs have a wired ethernet, if you want to live within the smart TV ecosystem. I originally thought smart TVs were dumb, but having youtube and netflix a click away is phenomenal. I'd cut the cord if it wouldn't only save me like $0.30 a month.
the new tv is going in the family room (where wife and I watch TV once kids in bed) and the tv that's currently there is replacing the dying DLP in the kids play room (former living room). although we're probably gonna take down the 5.1 surround sound from the old DLP but i don't think we're gonna set it up with the new tv (this is still an open discussion between the wife and i).

and i agree, tv's now are so good even inexpensive ones now are a huge leap forward over what we have. and yes most tv's have an ethernet port. at least the one we're keeping and the one we just bought do.

re: RB - i still have it on my samsung smart tv? used it over the weekend to watch les gets.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
regarding the melatonin- it's not worth drugging my kid when he's clearly going through some level of separation anxiety or new mental discovery (bad dreams, fear of the dark, etc). If I get desperate for sleep I'd try it, but I'm more likely to just plop a cot on the floor and take turns with the wife. I sleep well enough that a week on the floor ain't so bad...it's just the interruptions and anxiety of wondering whether the little shit is going to wake up at 3 or 5 screaming...
we only used it consistently for the kids in the weeks immediately following their concussions. we only use it rarely for them now.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

I have needed a new TV for a while. The wife had a CRT when we got together, then inherited the MIL's old 42" 720p that sucks ass. I run everything off the PS4. I would like to get a 55" 4k something. We are hitting Costco Friday.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the new tv is going in the family room (where wife and I watch TV once kids in bed) and the tv that's currently there is replacing the dying DLP in the kids play room (former living room). although we're probably gonna take down the 5.1 surround sound from the old DLP but i don't think we're gonna set it up with the new tv (this is still an open discussion between the wife and i).

and i agree, tv's now are so good even inexpensive ones now are a huge leap forward over what we have. and yes most tv's have an ethernet port. at least the one we're keeping and the one we just bought do.

re: RB - i still have it on my samsung smart tv? used it over the weekend to watch les gets.
Why would you not set the 5.1 back up? Sound bars are no substitute.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I haven't purchased a TV since the mid-90's. :homer:
The one and only TV we have in the house we bought when I got out of the hospital in 07 so I could play video games while I "recuperated". Turned out my tail bone/pelvis was so busted I couldn't sit on the couch for more than about 10 minutes at a stretch. :rolleyes:. The entertainment center it sits in is nice though.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The one and only TV we have in the house we bought when I got out of the hospital in 07 so I could play video games while I "recuperated". Turned out my tail bone/pelvis was so busted I couldn't sit on the couch for more than about 10 minutes at a stretch. :rolleyes:. The entertainment center it sits in is nice though.
That's probably around the time we got our current 40-something inch Samsung. In laws were tired of watching shit on our old 27" Toshiba, so they bought us a TV. :busted:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hi. Almost got splattered into a wall by somebody who thought their $500 POS could merge from the 30mph lane into the 80mph lane with a 3 car gap. Glad I was in the M because I full locked and still almost hit him, with cutting into the emergency lane and him pulling back. I doubt I could have made that stop and avoidance in the Subaru. Same thing happened on the other side with a POS Land Cruiser when I was almost to my destination. Thankfully he had been driving like an ass, so I had been minding him. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to drive.

More busy all day today. Managed to forget my work phone at home today, which isn't helpful.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hi. Almost got splattered into a wall by somebody who thought their $500 POS could merge from the 30mph lane into the 80mph lane with a 3 car gap. Glad I was in the M because I full locked and still almost hit him, with cutting into the emergency lane and him pulling back. I doubt I could have made that stop and avoidance in the Subaru. Same thing happened on the other side with a POS Land Cruiser when I was almost to my destination. Thankfully he had been driving like an ass, so I had been minding him. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to drive.

More busy all day today. Managed to forget my work phone at home today, which isn't helpful.
go sell more stuff you're not supposed to

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Locking up brakes is not an efficient way to slow down. Mu_static > Mu_dynamic.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
update: it's looking like the roku ultra is gonna check all the boxes i need: ethernet, 4k, redbull.tv, hbo now. and it's on sale for the same amount as a 4k chromecast

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
All this TV talk makes me understand how ya'll felt when the GMT went full Colorado Trails Mode™ the other day. Give it a fucking rest, already. It's called a Boob Tube for a reason.

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
All this TV talk makes me understand how ya'll felt when the GMT went full Colorado Trails Mode™ the other day. Give it a fucking rest, already. It's called a Boob Tube for a reason.

:D
But 4K boobs > 1080p boobs, right?