Quantcast

weds gfmt

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
Morning , watching hockey I went to sleep watching the Sweden v Slovakia game . Now I start my morning watching the Russia v Finland game .I think I have a problem .

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Morning , watching hockey I went to sleep watching the Sweden v Slovakia game . Now I start my morning watching the Russia v Finland game .I think I have a problem .
You most certainly do. Sweden was playing with Slovenia.

Go CZ, Ivan go home!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The Lesbaru might be nearing the end of it's life with me. I've been having some mechanical issues and I'm running out of reason to keep it, as the costs are starting to outweigh the value of the car.

Two Friday's ago, the left front wheel locked up. Thankfully I had just gotten home and it did so in the driveway. I got it into the garage on Sunday and bled the brakes to clear out any potential air bubbles or debris. Nothing came out, but the wheel rolled perfectly. I drove it to work for two days and while I was driving home on Tuesday it started to lock up again and I was left on the side of the road with a car that was going nowhere. After having a nice ride home from AAA, I ordered a new (used) caliper to replace the existing one on the assumption that it might be a dragging issue. Costs currently at $50.

I installed the caliper on Monday and drove it to work on yesterday with no issues. When I got home, it locked up in the driveway again. My next assumption is the wheel bearing, which is going to be $300 to replace. Current cost $350.

To add insult to injury, the clutch started slipping while I was driving home yesterday. I'm assuming this is directly due to having rode the clutch to get it off the street last Tuesday. If that's gone, I'm looking at another $1500 minimum. Current projected cost $1850.

The battery is dying and struggles to turn over in the cold, so that need to be replaced soon. That's $150. Current projected cost: $2000.

My summer tires are spent and need to be replaced this year. That's another $600.

Current projected cost: $2600. That's assuming we don't find anything else wrong in the process. This car is only worth $7000, so we're getting very deep into the value just to repair it.

As much as I love this thing, damn that's a lot of cost for a car that isn't worth much. The numbers are looking like I can get about $6000 trade-in if I switch it back to stock suspension. Another $1500 for the suspension and STI wheels. That gets me pretty far into a replacement...

Otherwise, work.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Humpday Monkeys.

Just scored 100% on Unit 4 (of 6) of the Oregon Boaters Education online course. Feeling pretty good about the final at this point. This has to be one of the most mind numbing "educational" experiences I have had in a while. But if all goes well, I might have a boat by the end of the month. :D

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Any monkey's in South Dakota? I have a car that I want to look at in Sioux Falls and don't feel like flying out to look at it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Fixing some truly atrocious code someone else wrote today. And all the days for the foreseeable future. Joy.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
are you going to live on this hole in the water?
No, just something cheap (sub $3k) and fast (55+) for some fun this summer. I'm 10 minutes from the river and as soon as Spring is here I'll leave it in the water. If I use it enough and enjoy it, I want to build one next winter.

Something like this.

Or maybe the same motor in something like this.

Mitch Hedberg said:
If you boat a lot, you're known as a boating enthusiast. I like to boat, but I just don't want to ever be referred to as a 'boating enthusiast'. I hope they call me 'a guy who likes to boat'.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Humpday Monkeys.

Just scored 100% on Unit 4 (of 6) of the Oregon Boaters Education online course. Feeling pretty good about the final at this point. This has to be one of the most mind numbing "educational" experiences I have had in a while. But if all goes well, I might have a boat by the end of the month. :D

No nothing on the planet could have as mind numbing effect as 3 eight hour days in a row of sensitivity training regarding the transport of disabled passengers on public conveyances, and ADA Law. All taught by an angry overweight man with a monotone voice

trust me on this