Quantcast

weds...vanity deaths in ocean graveyards gfmt

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Not sure if any of it will matter as it all happened in international waters. It will depend on what country the ship was flagged in. Most ships are flagged in 3rd world countries that allow them to do whatever the fuck they want.
Addendum to my statement, turns out the CEO was onboard, so there goes a bunch of lawsuit attempts.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
the free market has spoken

it says "gurble gurgle blurple poof"
An implosion at that depth would have been just a pop. The energy would have probably turned them into hamburger and cooked them in a few milliseconds without the mess of an explosion.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
An implosion at that depth would have been just a pop. The energy would have probably turned them into hamburger and cooked them in a few milliseconds without the mess of an explosion.
“At that depth, you could have a leak that’s not much bigger than a diameter of one of your hairs and you would be dead within a fraction of a second,” said Captain McLaren, a nuclear attack submarine commander. “They really wouldn’t have even known they would have died, they would have been dead before they knew it.”

I'm not sure anyone is totally clear on the depth at which the implosion occurred, but apparently they lost contact after being in the water for an hour and 45 minutes, so safe to say pretty fucking deep.

Also fun to note that the experts are saying basically the same thing some monkies have been saying for years: Bonding carbon fiber to metal is a bad idea.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If anyone is curious about testing and failures, the US Navy SUBSAFE is a good place to start.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
“At that depth, you could have a leak that’s not much bigger than a diameter of one of your hairs and you would be dead within a fraction of a second,” said Captain McLaren, a nuclear attack submarine commander. “They really wouldn’t have even known they would have died, they would have been dead before they knew it.”

I'm not sure anyone is totally clear on the depth at which the implosion occurred, but apparently they lost contact after being in the water for an hour and 45 minutes, so safe to say pretty fucking deep.

Also fun to note that the experts are saying basically the same thing some monkies have been saying for years: Bonding carbon fiber to metal is a bad idea.
I wouldn't say bonding metal and composites is a bad idea, However you have to have a very good understanding of both your application, and how well that bonded joint is going to perform. Clearly not the case here.

When you are unsure,play it safe. Back when we didn't have as good of an understanding, and less accurate analytical techniques a lot of things failed, and a lot things got way over built. Planes like the DC-3 and B-52 will fly for a century. Modern planes tend to last right about their designed lifecycle before fatigue takes them out.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I heard an interview with some deep sea oceanic expert guy. I'll paraphrase but the interviewer asked "So, does this mean we should be hitting the brakes and rolling WAY back on exploration?" and the expert replies "no not at all, we know how to do this safely, and there are many subs operating every day. The industry and science is fine, these guys just didn't care to operate safely."

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I heard an interview with some deep sea oceanic expert guy. I'll paraphrase but the interviewer asked "So, does this mean we should be hitting the brakes and rolling WAY back on exploration?" and the expert replies "no not at all, we know how to do this safely, and there are many subs operating every day. The industry and science is fine, these guys just didn't care to operate safely."
Coincidentally, my brother is going to DC early next week to discuss subermisible safety with the US government.

He said pretty much the same thing, the science is well understood but these guys flouted it anyway. Can't help those who don't want help.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Too soon?

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Coincidentally, my brother is going to DC early next week to discuss subermisible safety with the US government.

He said pretty much the same thing, the science is well understood but these guys flouted it anyway. Can't help those who don't want help.
Perhaps I misremember, but I swear I saw some statements by the now deceased CEO that went something along the lines of "safety shmafety" and that basically everyone else worried too much.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Perhaps I misremember, but I swear I saw some statements by the now deceased CEO that went something along the lines of "safety shmafety" and that basically everyone else worried too much.
That fucking moron literally bolted a laptop viewscreen into the the shitty titanium bonded to discount carbon from boeing's expired weave heap walls of the vessel.

But anyway, he's dead now because of his ego, and there's a lesson to be learned along the lines of the assumption that everyone with lots of money is sMrT that no one will learn.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
In the April 2019 email to Mr. Rush, Mr. Stanley said the loud cracking sounds that they had heard during their dive “sounded like a flaw/defect in one area being acted on by the tremendous pressures and being crushed/damaged.” He wrote that the loud, cracking noise signaled there was “an area of the hull that is breaking down.”

So they even had warning. Cracking carbon fiber sounds at depth years ago. Damn.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That fucking moron literally bolted a laptop viewscreen into the the shitty titanium bonded to discount carbon from boeing's expired weave heap walls of the vessel.

But anyway, he's dead now because of his ego, and there's a lesson to be learned along the lines of the assumption that everyone with lots of money is sMrT that no one will learn.
apparently there was a fiberglass inner layer, too, so that wasn’t bolted to the outer carbon hull directly.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

So they even had warning. Cracking carbon fiber sounds at depth years ago. Damn.
crACk rEPAireD bY REputAblE CrABn SHOp

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
You know Batman wasn't a billionaire, he was the child of a billionaire fortune,

Maybe a batman will come forth and battle rich men will stupid ideas.

Well one can dream.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Screenshot_20230626_000719_Instagram.jpg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
apparently there was a fiberglass inner layer, too, so that wasn’t bolted to the outer carbon hull directly.
cool

that moron still died as a result of his arrogance

even me, a very non deep sea, high pressure expert would look into things like this

and I aint puttin screws in even the secondary layer

know why? Because Im the kind of guy who is alive still

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
cool

that moron still died as a result of his arrogance

even me, a very non deep sea, high pressure expert would look into things like this

and I aint puttin screws in even the secondary layer

know why? Because Im the kind of guy who is alive still
the stories about remains being found....

presumed dead...

im thinking....

all five are probably at the consistency of oregano across the ocean floor....

i might be wrong...