Quantcast

Weekend at SST

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Sorry for all the sst posts, I am rather stoked on this weekend tough. I need to bring my camra out to make these posts more intresting.

Finshed the new jump at the top this weekend, the lip is perfect and sends you right on top of the landing. I was peddling as hard as I could to make it tough so I added a bigger landing coming of the drop. I took the top log of the drop, hope no one minds(I have not seen anyone hit that drop in a long time), and it only made the lip like 2 inchs smaller. Its now a little gap, I put a bunch of logs and dirt on the back of the new landing in case someone came up short, might need a bit more just in "case" :). I also cut down the right side of the jump so you can hop or role into the berm if you dont want to hit the gap. Once everything hardens up it should flow really well.

Netguy and me also worked on the famous sandy sand jump making the landing a foot back and a foot taller and a berm into it and more lip on the take off. Desul was toughin down on sunday, he hit the sandy sand jump all the way down to the nutter and middle jump on his hard tail for the first time! Dirt is perfect right now :)

More pics next time for sure

-Kim

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Yes...the new jump that Kim built is....big. Nice work.

And...the infamous sandy jump, has been modified....again. The lip is bigger, the tranny is taller and steeper, which results in a double, that is much smoother. Funnily enough, you don't need as much speed. Kim is a maniac with the shovel, never quits......all I had to do, was carry the buckets of dirt.

Andy, I am not to sure if our modification is going to create an issue for you, hitting it from your new line in. Our intention was not to make it more difficult from your line in, however just to make the jump smoother, which = safer. Its a little more like the nutter now....something we all enjoy. If it does create an issue, i have a couple of good ideas for your line, that I would like to share with you.

Ash

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
I had a BLAST this weekend. Finally worked up the balls to do a bunch of stuff I have just been eyeing for a long time. Im itching to get back on the bike ASAP. Goalpost and other two sides of the table are next.

Oh and for those that know... I may end up with a new road trip/whistler shuttle truck in the very very near future :) Wish me luck just gotta get rid of ol'smokey

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Right on. I'm not too worried about that line I cut not working w/ the sandy-sand gap. If you're thinking what I'm thinking, then you're likely thinking stepdown to gap that crosses the lead-in to the sandy-sand gap before heading to the top left drop...no?:think:

I have Friday & Saturday off, so I'm hoping to make it down there at least one of those days. If so, then pics will be forthcoming.
Unless somebody already did so, I also plan on fixing up the first jump on the top right line. It has no pop to the point that it almost has negative-pop. That shouldn't take long at all so I may also increase the bermage in the section leading up to that jump.

Way to get back into it, Dave!!!:thumb:

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
DBR X6 RIDER said:
Right on. I'm not too worried about that line I cut not working w/ the sandy-sand gap. If you're thinking what I'm thinking, then you're likely thinking stepdown to gap that crosses the lead-in to the sandy-sand gap before heading to the top left drop...no?:think:

QUOTE]

Thats exactly what I was thinking! Having a double at the end of the new line you cut, that would cross the line coming into the sandy sand jump. Then you just continue on and hit the left line.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
As far as the top right line goes....

There is that mini table top after the first turn. nothing has been done to this. The jump before the downhill transition had alot of bumpyness to it so i packed more dirt onto it and widened it a little bit. I made the landing much more use friendly and widened the dirt area. The following jump (into the berm) I added about 6 inches too.

I felt that the changes made the main jump/landing and jump into berm alot smoother. I would like to see a bit smoother line leading into it as I have seen some people really enjoying this line on XC bikes.

I dont think I will make it out friday but am planning on saturday for sure..

BTW>.. Sears has pointy shovels on sale for $3.99 a piece and Hoes as well. I think I will pick up one of each on my way down saturday.

Im outta here

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
3.99 for shovels :0, pic me up one or two! I just bought a new one with fiberglass handle for 7.99, but it would be nice to have 4 or 5, we could make a new jump in a hour with that many people. I am going to bring a bucket or two next time I come down as well. My saw is sweet, but I take that home with me since it so easy to fold up. I have a axe I can bring if we need it as well, would be good for turning logs into skinnys to ride!

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
I was at SST today. Norm had a great idea for a big stepup, that would be located on the other side of the road.

It would involve cutting a line paralell to the road, about 5 feet into the scrub on the otherside of the road that we all walk up.

The stepup would be built almost directly across where we all push out of the bottom of the flowpark. Right now, there is kinda sorta a brick wall there thats about 12 feet high that we would step up onto, after building a nice booter. You would start your run, from where the road from the lot (or where you originally pedal in from) meets the push up road.

I think it has potential and would make a fun addition, however it is out flowpark area, so that might create a problem.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Not a bad idea. It sounds more like a one-hit kind of thing, but I've always said that place is lacking a solid stepup. I'm still looking around the actual flowpark for that spot.

Hoping to spend at least a couple/few hrs. out there tomorrow...likely sooner than later. Between work and trying to find a roomie, I'm getting kind of burned-out. I NEED SOME DIRT!!!

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Can't wait for tomorrow!! Im so excited to ride. Was going to put the bike in the car and go afterwork but waking up to an inch of snow caused me not to.

I may be down there pretty early tomorrow. We will see how much sleep I think I need. If I make it past Sears tomorrow then I will pick up another shovel and I was thinking of getting a Hoe too. I could see how maybe at somepoint it could be useful. For $3.99 whynot? might be good for smoothing things out or something.

Also. If anyone has a 36-38T middle ring (8 or 9 speed) PLEASE PLEASE bring it with you!! my 32 is not cutting it.

See everyone tomorrow

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Not that I have one, Dave, but is it a 4 or 5-bolt setup and what's the bolt diameter?
No dually for me tomorrow, so I may have to rally the singletrack on the 'cross bike instead. I reckon I'll have to huck twice as hard next weekend once I get the dually back on track.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
OMG you ride 32 tooth in front :0. Not sure when I will be out next but I could see if I have a bigger ring if you dont come across one. Wish I could come out but I gotta work tommrow, mabye sunday if I dont go skiing.

Step up would be sweet, I have not spoted one inside the park eather. You could ask Wick if it would be a problem, or maybe just build it. The trail gap and tree gap is outside of the park. Would there be room for another jump before the step up as well?

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Good point about other features being outside the park.

Yeah, there would be room for at least 1 double on the way down, which would then lead you into the stepup. Probably going to be the size of the stepup on FreightTrain. Nice and tall!

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Oh, Its a 4 bolt on a race face prodigy crankset. (don't know size sorry)
I kinda slapped the setup together last minute.

Well i think im working on breakfast and then Ill be heading down there.
I may wait to bring shovels down till there are going to be more people there. Also supposed to rain all week so why leave em out.