Quantcast

Weekend Front Range ride - dialup beware

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I'd planned on riding with a couple friends on Saturday, but everyone bailed. I was pretty bummed and wasn't
going to go, but the wife told me to go ride anyway, so I grabbed my camera and headed out to White Ranch,
a trail just north of Golden. I took my time and took a bunch of pictures, so here's White Ranch:

The first trail, Belcher Hill, starts out pretty mellow, but looking ahead you can see it climbing up the moutain:

Nice little creek crossing before you start the first climb:

And then you climb:

And climb:

After branching off on Long Horn trail, you climb some more:

The trail mellows out for a while and you're greeted with some nice views looking northeast:

The trail soon becomes a roller coaster and gets a bit rocky in sections:

But its quickly followed by some of the sweetest smooth singletrack:

Which is followed by more rock:

And more smooth sweetness:

And more rock:

And then you begin to climb again:

And climb:

And yet more climbing:

Once you reach the top, the meadows open up and you're greeted with some good views while you sit and eat a bit:

And that's all the pics I took. The downhill is way too fun to stop and take pictures.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for sharing, but rather selffish of ya not to get any downhill pictures dont ya think??

Very nice

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Nice pics! Did you do Mustang on the way down?
No, I wanted to (did it last time) but I was running short of time since I stopped so often to take pics.
I just took Sawmill down to Belcher and took that straight down. I seriously thought about it when I
got to the intersection of Sawmill and Belcher, but decided I better be a good husband and head home.
The wife had a baby shower on Sunday and I had a honey do list to take care of.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
No, I wanted to (did it last time) but I was running short of time since I stopped so often to take pics.
I just took Sawmill down to Belcher and took that straight down. I seriously thought about it when I
got to the intersection of Sawmill and Belcher, but decided I better be a good husband and head home.
The wife had a baby shower on Sunday and I had a honey do list to take care of.
Hehehhehee. Damn cameras.

Although we all benefitted. You are a selfless man, Pixel. :thumb:

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Great pictures. Love the "And climbing, and climbing". It is so true of that area :)

Isnt Mustang closed now? I know they closed the one loop up from the first bench on Belcher.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Squeak said:
Isnt Mustang closed now? I know they closed the one loop up from the first bench on Belcher.
Only the lower section that connects from the bench on Belcher down to Longhorn. The upper section is still open.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
Only the lower section that connects from the bench on Belcher down to Longhorn. The upper section is still open.
It's a good thing, 'cause that is one of the best sections of singletrack on the entire Front Range. :thumb:

Last time we were there they were doing some work on the upper section of Mustang - the part with the BIG water bars. Hopefully they won't sanitize things too much.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i like a trail that has a good mix of rock and smooth. :thumb:

i've also found that solo rides can be very liberating and enriching. Just getting out and enjoying the trail at your own pace. and alot of times the rides where you just have a hard time draggin yourself out to, turn out to be good rides. it's always the same you get done and think, man i'm glad i went, haha.