Quantcast

Weekend of riding at Earl's and Treesaw, NY state.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Last time we rode in Rochester we met some expat members of the Rochester's Jackalopes, the very friendly Theresa and Earl . They invited us to their beautifull house near the magnificiant Adirondacks.

We met up with John(Echo) and Ralph (Instigator) after getting lost on our way there :oops:

We were supposed to ride West mountain that is 20 min from their house but it was close so we drove 2 hours to get to Plattekill. It was Isa's first DH ride ever and she was very scared of Plattekill because of it's reputation of very hardcore trails.

The borrowed shirt from Instigator fit her like a glove.......... well a oven mitten is some sort of glove no? :?

At Plattekill we met up with Mike(Tweek), Matt (Stuntmatty) and Chris(Gk. Willie).

Everyone was very happy to see each other and could not wait to hit the trails. Here's Instigator showing that he was ready to tackle the very rocky trails.

Echo took his helmet cam for his second ride.

It was a race weekend at Plattekill but it was not too busy. We had to wait 5 to 10 min for the lifts but we had so much stuff to talk about.

On our way to my favorite trail of the day we found this awesome jump.

Everybody to the limit! Stuntmatty skyrocketing into orbit

Chris was also getting some major air on that kicker made of rock.

We met another rider that was pullling some mad tricks on that sweet jump. After tweaking a ridiculous moto whip, he asked us if it showed that he once was racing bmx. Our jaws was still dislocated from the show of skills that we could not answer.

Here's Treesaw going down a tech part on her Ironhorse SGS that she bought from Instigator.

Isa did better that I ever expected on the loose rocks, rooty and steep terrain of Plattekill.

We got to a big drop (probably between 8 to 10 feet depending on where you land). I had gathered the will needed to do it until I heard Ralph land. I did not even see him land but the bang it made took all the courage I had and I bailed out. Ralph, Chris and Matt did it but with a price to pay almost everytime, bented seat, crushed nuts, aerials endos etc..... But they each stuck the landing once.

Here's Matt on the best pics of them all. For those who once worried about the durability of a air shock please note that Matt's Gemini is equiped with a very basic Fox Float and that except for a little harsh progressive feel it did just fine all day.

We really enjoyed our first visit at Platekill and the feeling of screaming down the tech trails, surfing on shell rocks, cornering hairy corners and nailing 4 foot drops after 4 foot drops all withing a few seconds was priceless.

We got to Earl's and Treesaw at 9 pm after a very full day of Dhing and hurtings bodys. But the very tasty Wachusett IPA beers and some of our host's delicious speedies we felt like new mans (and womens)

Sunday was XC day. We usually do the opposite; ride xc first, party and then survive throught DH so it was really hard to get our bruised carcasses out of bed for a very epic ride throught the mountains.

Here's a pretty sight (yeah the blur looks good too)

We rode in Moreau national park and we were granted by some steeps climbs and technical terrain..... in other words paradise!

The big slicks rocks were fun to negotiate. This is pretty new for us Québeçois since we have very few places to ride on them.

This is the 5$ dollar climb and Earl, John and me hit the jackpot ...ding ding.

After 2 hours of intense riding we got to this beautifull viewpoint.

We are all members of 2 teams for the 24 hours of Dalton, MA and we wore proudly our sponsor's shirt, the Trailblazers bike shop in Victor, NY.

Here's our host and guide posing on his own turf: some of the nicest xc trails I have seen. I could not understand why they wanted to wear pads for a xc ride, after falling more times than at Plattekill I knew why :dead: but I wear my scars proudly.

We could think that the jackalopes like freeriding better than xc but it does not take long into the trail with them to understand that a xc ride brings out the best in them.

We got owned by a couple of climbs but a place that you can ride entirely on the first ride is boring, no?

We rode for 4 hours and we had a blast. Congratulations to everyone, everybody pushed hard and we all finished with a huge grin pinned on our faces.

We cannot thank Theresa and Earl enough for the wonderful weekend. John, Ralph, Mike, Matt and Chris it was great as always to ride with such good friends.

See you all at the 24h.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Bonjour Deyv! I was hoping you would post your recits et photos here :)

Great times as always, we can't wait for Dalton :D

Gk. Willie

Chimp
May 24, 2004
Rochester, NY
Good times, Good Times. Definetly a pleasure to ride with all of you. The old lady And I are going to Lake placid for a night-time urban bash followed by a sunday at Whiteface you should all join us. I heard it's spodabe nice this weekend

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Great pics, Deyv. The XC ride looked like a lotta fun. I'll make it there next time -- promise. :)

Treesaw -- veggies on spiedies?! :nope: Looks like you made kabobs instead. I'll let you slide since you're not from the Southern Tier. ;)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Nice pics! :thumb: We had an awesome time hosting everyone and can't wait to do it again! Here are a few pics that we had from our epic XC ride on Sunday!

First....RESPECT THE MOUNTAIN!!! :devil:
(this part is right at the beginning before you can even warm up and it a bit steep for climbing!) Edit: this is actuall the second pic...alphabetical order and whatnot

Second...TreeSaw doin' what she does best (that would be crashing) ;)

Third...Instigator climbing

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
First: The muddy rock bridge

Second: Deyv on a nice rock roller

Third: The beautiful overlook (what we were all climbing for)

Fourth: Look out for baby turkeys on the DH section

Last: TreeSaw on the DH section

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Tweek said:
Great pics, Deyv. The XC ride looked like a lotta fun. I'll make it there next time -- promise. :)

Treesaw -- veggies on spiedies?! :nope: Looks like you made kabobs instead. I'll let you slide since you're not from the Southern Tier. ;)
Yeah, it was supposed to be meat on one and veggies on the others, but someone corrected that (ahem...Echo....ahem) ;)

They were tastey though :drool: Too bad you missed out on them and the tastey beers too!!! :devil:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
wow! Great recap and photos everyone.

those trails in Moreau look tough- but fun! :cool:

Deyv, great to have you posting like this again. We miss ya on the Monkey.

stuntmatty

Thnikkaman
Oct 2, 2003
Bike Hater Central
Dang I wish I coulda rode on sunday with you guys, looks like it was kick ass and to the limit.

Treesaw - awesome crash pic, it might be my background for the week :D

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
stuntmatty said:
Dang I wish I coulda rode on sunday with you guys, looks like it was kick ass and to the limit.

Treesaw - awesome crash pic, it might be my background for the week :D
Crash pic? Ohhhh, I thought it was TreeSaw showing how she could go into total stealth mode using only the greenery and color of her bike. (The TB jersey gave it away though.) :p

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Geespot! what are you doing looking at mens asscracks???

Great pics all! I am feeling pretty good after all that riding. My triceps are still pretty sore from all the beating they took :thumb:

The only thing that bummed me out for the whole weekend was that no one got a good pic of me doing that big rock drop. After hitting it 2 times I don't think I would care to hit it a third. :nope:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hey thats looks great guys! Nice to see so many monkey's meeting up.
Funny the difference between summer and winter on here....... :)

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Instigator said:
The only thing that bummed me out for the whole weekend was that no one got a good pic of me doing that big rock drop. After hitting it 2 times I don't think I would care to hit it a third. :nope:
You really need a pic? You did the drop, we all saw it, you da man. We'll vouch for you. Plus, maybe it's on vidja.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Tweek said:
You really need a pic? You did the drop, we all saw it, you da man. We'll vouch for you. Plus, maybe it's on vidja.
The video is not too good. Still tweaking the position of the helmet cam :(

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Tweek said:
I just want a pick of myself doing something that big, so I can put it in my toolbox at work and brag :D

....that and I am getting old, so my chances of doing anything that big again are getting slim :(

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Does anybody else find it strange that everybody in the Platty pics is drinking the same stuff Luke Skywalker was drinking on his home planet in the first Star Wars movie?