Quantcast

Weekend riding in the Carolina's 1/20 & 1/21

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Figured I would get one started so anyone/everyone can plan accordingly.

Actually the weather forecast looks best for Asheville.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Greenslick, on Saturday, if its dry??? Jeff and myself have never been out there. And I'd imagine the BRP, will be closed if they get any snow up there at all. If not we've got old Wilsons. :clapping:

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Can you tell me and Jeff **** around alot at work!! I think we posted that **** at the same time.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Just so you know thats a lot of climbing. Well at least if you ride all the trails, and not just go up Greenslick backwards.
Everybody tells me its well worth the climb though. We're just gonna hit greenslick a few times. From what I've heard, its about a 2.5 mile climb to the trail head?

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
If its dry I'd rather just hammer Greenslick, depending on how much climbing your talking about, and if the other trails are worth it???

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
If its dry I'd rather just hammer Greenslick, depending on how much climbing your talking about, and if the other trails are worth it???

I like them. This is the route I have taken in the past

Take (gated gravel road)Ledford Branch Rd. nice climb, the road flattens and about a mile you'll have a trail to the sharp left (easy to pass by) Ingles Field Gap starts out as a steep climb but grades out into a great trail (stay right at all junctions) and steep again at the top to 5 points.

Next from 5 Points take north Boundary Rd it is the trail Next to Little Hickory Top! Climb for about 2mi then you get to Greens Lick!

Down Greens Lick.

Hang a Left up Sidehill trail
starts out wet rocky and steep and grades out when it hits Little Hickory Top (stay left at All junctions) continue back to 5 Points.

Then bomb down Ingles Field Gap ( stay left at all Junct) when you get to the road sharp right and then hit first trail to left Wolf Laurel or creek. You will come down some stairs then hit the trail on right continue down to gravel road, then right then hit second trail on right. used to be called Warm Up no idea what it is now....they just recut new section of trail to Paved road, cross road to trail, or bail to the right.

Warm Up Trail climbs a little and ends with a fun little DH. Right at gravel road and back up to Hard Times trail Head. Pink is the bail out btw and the green section is Greens Lick...

and the map

But you guys may have more fun just hitting Greenslick a few times

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Can you just ride greenslick without everything else and not have to push backwards up the trail? I'd rather not do that and kill somebody coming down....

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Thats cool. We'll wait and see what happens with the weather. How long is greenslick anyway?
I heard it's 2.7 miles. Like I was telling you before there are a few good session spots to check out as well.

By far the best thing to do is go up the way Rob said (well I actually know a slightly shorter route) and then bomb it. If that's not enough we can push back up and do it again. I may go up there for a midday ride on friday so I can tell you if it's dry or not. New frame should be built by then :cheers:

Rob - you in?

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
You will have the med. now, so I expect you will be sending it large on the jumps?? And the next time we are on Headley its time to "sack up". Ha ha ha.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Rob,
That is almost the exact same ride that Matt and I rode on Saturday
in the mud.
If you drive by hard times, then take a right and then park at the new parking lot, you can go up the gravel road from there, and then take the first LEFT onto another gravel road. It leads you to a trail on the right, that takes you directly to Ingles Gap. That is the quickest way to the top of 5 points.
Also, after doing Greens lick, that climb back up side hill, about half way up they have ruined the trail with logging crap. It is still ridable,
but they turned it into a mud pit. Its still the best way to get back to 5 points after doing Greens Lick though.
I love riding that particular loop, but mud turns it into an epic ride.
There was one point where it looked we were on stationary bikes, just spinning in the mud.:twitch:
I don't like riding/pushing up Greenslick and coming back down.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I would love to go, but little Mason is going to be here any day now. Looks like it will be after the start of Feb. before I will get to ride somewhere else other than Paris MT. in Greenville.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Cecil, I would love to come ride at Paris with you sometime. I couldnt make it up last weekend because I was dead tired from No Name on Sat Night. PM me if you wanna ride this weekend.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Cecil, I would love to come ride at Paris with you sometime. I couldnt make it up last weekend because I was dead tired from No Name on Sat Night. PM me if you wanna ride this weekend.
I will be out there on Sunday unless Mason comes. Don't know if I will do a cross country ride or shuttle runs down the Super D. I will PM you when I know more.