Quantcast

weekend spent getting a mud douche

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
I got the clearance I was waiting for from my ortho doc last tuesday, so I decided a Snowshoe trip was in order. My excitement (and and attempt to beat the weather) pushed me to leave a day early so we could ride friday.

The first part of Friday was great. The entire upper part of the mountain was covered in a foggy mist that kept everything nice and cool. The Freeride park was muddy, but not ridiculous, and the Pro/Expert DH course was bone dry relatively speaking. However, just as we pulled up to the shuttle the skies opened up and the old, familiar Snowshoe showed its face. We got a few more runs in between rain storms, but called it early once the mountain went on "red alert" and the lift was closed.

Expecting more of the same for the rest of the weekend, we were pleasantly surprised that saturday and sunday turned out to be very nice days. Saturday saw some late-afternoon rain, but the weather was very cooperative for the rest of the trip. Granted the late night downpours didn't do much to dry things out, but the heavy rain actually smoothed things out and diluted the fudge that we'd been riding on.

All in all a good weekend on 2 wheels. A new trail is in the works, that I'm told will be very nice. It ends in a sort of rock-platform drop into a steep tranny out onto the main gravel road...right passed the Racer's Edge drop. Speaking of which, the tranny has been completely redone, making for a much more friendly LZ. Finally, the berms that Hulk was showing off were very nice. They're a bit sketchy when things get wet, but still a welcome addition.

I only have one complaint, and that involves the sparing use of chicken wire. Though the stuff has been used extensively there were a couple places that could have used some/more. Specifically, the right line after the A-Frame, the small bridge after the entire A-Frame feature, and the first wooden berm. Aside from that very minor issue, the place was an absolute blast. My only other recommendation would be to keep doing what you're doing, it's only going to get better.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
bagtagley said:
I only have one complaint, and that involves the sparing use of chicken wire. Though the stuff has been used extensively there were a couple places that could have used some/more. Specifically, the right line after the A-Frame, the small bridge after the entire A-Frame feature, and the first wooden berm. Aside from that very minor issue, the place was an absolute blast. My only other recommendation would be to keep doing what you're doing, it's only going to get better.
I hear you on this one, it's something that I have suggested in recent weeks and I'm pretty sure it's being addressed. It's good to hear this from someone else though, I'll make sure to let everyone else know that I am not the only one thinking along these lines.

Give me a shout next time you head up, I will make it a point to escape away from work and ride.

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Hulkamaniac said:
Give me a shout next time you head up, I will make it a point to escape away from work and ride.

I'll be up there Friday morning. There's a good chance I'll be there through the weekend, but that'll depend on lodging.