Quantcast

Weekender

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Staying up later than the old people get up. Sunday morning incoming for me…

Anyway Panaracer are putting out Smokes and Darts again, only in 26x2.1 though. Disappointing.

B9368777-F4C3-4970-96F7-6E4B3D50DADD.jpeg

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Those were the shit back in the day, until the Onza Porcupines came out.
I was always partial to the Z-Max, but those may have come out in the mid-90's?
You guys did not like grippy tires back in the day, did you?
Panaracer Smoke/Dart, Tioga Psycho K and Specialized Ground Control F+R were the only tires I had luck with.
Look at the Psycho K, looks suspiciously like a DHRII, or?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You guys did not like grippy tires back in the day, did you?
Panaracer Smoke/Dart, Tioga Psycho K and Specialized Ground Control F+R were the only tires I had luck with.
Look at the Psycho K, looks suspiciously like a DHRII, or?
I remember trying out a SpecialEd Ground Control(?) in the Umma Gumma compound back in the day... I think it lasted like 200 miles or some shit. :D

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I always thought the ground controls looked good but I knew that the Smoke/Dart worked better — at least for the trails where I lived.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I remember trying out a SpecialEd Ground Control(?) in the Umma Gumma compound back in the day... I think it lasted like 200 miles or some shit. :D
I don't really remember being much of a connoisseur of grip back then. I'd usually get whatever was black and knobby and cheap.
Yeah, there weren't any choices for durometer back then. Never had the Umma Gummas but friends did and durability was miniscule.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Anyway Panaracer are putting out Smokes and Darts again, only in 26x2.1 though. Disappointing.
New production, or did they find a pallet in the back of the warehouse?

Fire XCs we’re the shit back in the day, terrible terrible tire, but the red sidewalls meant business. Big upgrade from the Continental Atlanta 1.9s that came on my Super V anyway. I will shamefully admit that running “Atlanta” tired on a Cannondale right after Tinker won the olympics made me feel like a complete bad ass, I most definitely wasn’t, but I felt like it, and that’s what counts.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I had a goddamn 2.5 rear Ground Control on my bike in ‘91 or something.
I used it as a ‘trials’ tire.
was addicted to big tires early on…got lots of grief from the weenies.

was this one

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Fire XCs we’re the shit back in the day, terrible terrible tire, but the red sidewalls meant business. Big upgrade from the Continental Atlanta 1.9s that came on my Super V anyway. I will shamefully admit that running “Atlanta” tired on a Cannondale right after Tinker won the olympics made me feel like a complete bad ass, I most definitely wasn’t, but I felt like it, and that’s what counts.
They made some about 10 years ago as well. Snagged a pair out of nostalgia, rode them a couple of times before switching back to modern tires. They weren’t horrible, and perhaps that is my hundreds of miles of experience with them back in the day, but they don’t hold a candle to what we are riding today.

@rideit I also had a fat specialized tire back in the day. 1995. It was grey with black sidewalls. Used it as a rear. Was very grippy in most conditions.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I recently started a restoration on a Specialized hardtail from 2000ish. When it arrived it had a pair of Fire XCs on them. I rode them for a while on my old Clockwork Orange back in late 1990/early 2000s somewhere I wanna guess. They look so so teeny these days. The ones on the restore bike looked OK but on closer inspection are perished to fuck.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

New batch! Ooooh!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
OK I caved and Googled it. Smokes were the regular 2.1. The Lite was the 1.9 and Pro was the Kevlar bead. Allegedly there was a Smoke Magnum too, a 2.3, I do not remember that.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I will shamefully admit that running “Atlanta” tired on a Cannondale right after Tinker won the olympics made me feel like a complete bad ass, I most definitely wasn’t, but I felt like it, and that’s what counts.
Tinker never won the Olympic MTB race. You are thinking if Bart Brentjens. Tinker's Cannondale team was sponsored by IRC at the time AFAIK.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Seem to remember the Onzas came in a competition compound too…
Yeah, but the Porcupine was a shit profile, so they were only somewhat rideable in the white, soft compound. If you wanted them you had to fight with the Yeti owners over them too because of limited supplies.
I still think the Tioga Psycho K was the superior tire over all others at the time.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Ad a BMXer I was already sensitive to tyre tech because of the 60/120 TPI debacles. Also there were soft and hard ramp tyres, depending on one’s preference.