Quantcast

Weekly ride thread......

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
So after talking to a few monkey's I thought it would be a good idea to just start a weekly thread. This way it's stays at the top of the So Cal. forum most of the time. This will also help riders catch up and share info in one thread. Now that the days are getting shorter...after work rides will be on! Weekend rides will definitely become more inportant as well. Anyway if this idea doesn't take off than it will drop to the bottom like any other thread.....D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Alright...well scrider and I will be riding at Lake Hodges @ aboout 4PM tomorrow. We will both be on singlespeeds but any type of bikes and riders are welcome. All we ask is...take care of your bike and come prepared to handle on the trail fixes. We pack light and hate waiting for folks who can't perform simple maintenence before they get on the trail. Hope that doesn't sound to arrogant.....D

scrider

Chimp
May 2, 2004
Phoenix
BMXman said:
Alright...well scrider and I will be riding at Lake Hodges @ aboout 4PM tomorrow. We will both be on singlespeeds but any type of bikes and riders are welcome. All we ask is...take care of your bike and come prepared to handle on the trail fixes. We pack light and hate waiting for folks who can't perform simple maintenence before they get on the trail. Hope that doesn't sound to arrogant.....D
D, It's not my fault that I break chain rings....

J

markskee

Chimp
Aug 26, 2005
Los Angeles
I will be rideing Turnbull Canyon in Whittier CA. tomorrow.Going to pedal my Lead Sled up the fire road to the top water tower then decend down the "A Side Run". I will be parked on Beverly Blvd. where the houses end and the road goes into the canyon. Orange blk stinky Monster T fork.

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
markskee said:
I will be rideing Turnbull Canyon in Whittier CA. tomorrow.Going to pedal my Lead Sled up the fire road to the top water tower then decend down the "A Side Run". I will be parked on Beverly Blvd. where the houses end and the road goes into the canyon. Orange blk stinky Monster T fork.
How is the riding there? I'm always looking for new spots and Whittier isn't that far from me. Send a PM if need be.

markskee

Chimp
Aug 26, 2005
Los Angeles
bfranke said:
How is the riding there? I'm always looking for new spots and Whittier isn't that far from me. Send a PM if need be.
Not realy any need for trail maps you will not get lost, brush is only waist high. When you get to the top you can see everything around you, fantastic veiw of Los Angeles all the way out to the beach on a clear day!. Trail from the top water tower is rolling hills single track on farily flat ground no trees or bushes you can see way ahead of yourself, with a maybe 3 or 4 foot dropoff option right at the start. Then its rollercoaster action down then up and then down again average speed no pedal no brake 35mph. at the end of the second down part you have the option to go fire road or up again if you go up trail curves around and into a roll in drop maybe 12ft high no pedaling required on up part. Then its back onto the fire road for a bit as you go over to the 2nd part of the single track. The second part is fast wide open single track not much trees good feild of vision track has alot of features to it like fast shutter bumps, jumps, banks, rolling drops off chamber parts and one massive hard core roll in option with realy loose rocky ground. Trail ground is hard pack and no pedaling required unless you want to go faster! good spot to practice bike handling skills and rythm. Ride time with climb approx. 1.5 hrs. miles 4 fairly short ride but worth it fun time. Not the only ride on the hill and shuttle option is available. If anyone that has not been to the place I speak of wants to go PM me I will get back to you.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
todays Noble ride wasn't all that great...I need to get back out there again on my SS...I'm off tomorrow and no one to ride with....:mumble:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Turnbull Canyon (Whittier) is small and best left to the locals. I have a soft spot for it because I grew up in Whittier and rode there for many years. If you are doing XC you can work out a few loops that will go for 20+ miles, but as far as any DH or shuttling, it's lacking. If you go on a weekend you'll run into many hikers. And last I heard they had some pretty nasty access issues, especially where DHers are concerned.

If you are into very short shuttles you can go on a weekday morning and drive up TBC road and run down one of three singletracks to the bottom. About a 10 min ride. Although I would seriously advise NOT shuttling. It's just not a good place for it.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
BMXman said:
todays Noble ride wasn't all that great...I need to get back out there again on my SS...D

so what do you say scrider...I can ride Fri-Sun but on Sunday in the am only...I have to close...D

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Anything going on in the San Diego area saturday morning? I haven't ridden much lately, I'm not going to attempt ridding up Noble canyon, any shuttles or techy but flatish trail rides would be fair game though.

Lt.Dan

Thank you sir may I have another!
May 15, 2002
el cajon
anyone ridin in SD next weekend? Or any time this week? just got my bike back together and need to get some time in.

Lt.Dan

Thank you sir may I have another!
May 15, 2002
el cajon
BMXman said:
well my car just self destructed so I think I may done riding for at least this coming week...D
well ecology is having a 50% off sale on saturday :thumb:

Jul 1, 2005
Pasadena, CA
anyone interested in riding wed. morning at like 8:30 or 9? somewhere in the pasadena/la canada area? me and a buddy were thinking of just doing cherry. grizzle broke his leg, so we can't shuttle anything in the crest and my friend has a 65 stang that can't do a rack. if we can get someone else, with car, we would be able to shuttle something.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I don't know if this is a San Diego specific thread or not ;) But this Saturday around noon I'm planning on doing Tunnel with a couple folks. FSR bikes optional, bells are mandatory ;) Let me know if you have any interest.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Zark said:
I don't know if this is a San Diego specific thread or not ;) But this Saturday around noon I'm planning on doing Tunnel with a couple folks. FSR bikes optional, bells are mandatory ;) Let me know if you have any interest.

definitely not San Diego specific. More like So. Cal specific...keep the love comin'...D

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
the whoops is lookin much better,, the ground was soft and tacky,, easy to dig,, there was another guy up there doing some maintenance too.. got the berm a bit bigger. also 50/50'd the outside double b4 the wall ride :D went over the bars,, that was fun..