Quantcast

Weeping sidewalls

I'm not much into the religion of bike tires, but am curious about this observed effect.

I went from tube to tubeless tires back when I had my Heckler, maybe five or six years ago. Tended to run that way until I got a pinch flat at the bead, then throw a tube in.

On bikes running tubeless with sealant, perhaps 10% of them seem to weep sealant through the sidewalls. My current front tire, a relatively new Continental Trail King 2.4, just decided to start weeping this fall the identical tire it replaced never wept.

Anyone know why this occurs?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The famous and uber-popular Wild Rock'r 2 weeps like a small baby, too; and it is a stout and heavy as fuck monster of a tire.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Can it be the sealant?

I have exo Minions and they don't weap much; used orange sealant (multiple tires).

Girlfriend also has exo minions that came tubeless on her bike; no weaping all summer. Bike shop gave it a quick free tune up two weeks ago and whatever they put in the tires has the rear one looking constantly wet.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
It's the sealant. I've seen Stan's and Effetto Mariposa leak through sidewalls several times. My money is on the high content of ammonia on those sealants as the culprit of the weeping.

And Contis are horrible at keeping their sidewalls dry. Schwalbe, Maxxis and Specialized are much better in this front. Same with Vittoria.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Can it be the sealant?

I have exo Minions and they don't weap much; used orange sealant (multiple tires).

Girlfriend also has exo minions that came tubeless on her bike; no weaping all summer. Bike shop gave it a quick free tune up two weeks ago and whatever they put in the tires has the rear one looking constantly wet.
i've heard good things about the orange sealant.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The famous and uber-popular Wild Rock'r 2 weeps like a small baby, too; and it is a stout and heavy as fuck monster of a tire.
Interesante...

I've had quite a few WR2's and not a single one has ever wept, IIRC. I'm using Continental sealant, so maybe sealant matters?

Wife had Nobby Nics on her bike (stock) that wept like m'f'ers.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Interesante...

I've had quite a few WR2's and not a single one has ever wept, IIRC. I'm using Continental sealant, so maybe sealant matters?

Wife had Nobby Nics on her bike (stock) that wept like m'f'ers.
i can't recall offhand if my WR2's are weeping, which means if they are, it's not significant enough for me to recall. stan's sealant even.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have had it in the past with home made goo, Stan's and possibly Juice Lubes too, Contis seemed to do it the most but a DH cased Minion would still do it after running the pressures a bit low.

Oddly, I now run sealant that has the viscosity of water and I get no weeping.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
The Ammonia they use with the latex eats away at the sidewall rubber. That's what causes the sidewalls to weep sealant. Try something with out Ammonia like Trucker Co. You will need to replace the tires and start fresh.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
And this whole time I just thought I needed to be nicer to them.