Quantcast

weight of an 04 Giant ocr-1?

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
mplutodh1 said:
If no one knows and posts before tomorrow I will try and remember to weigh one at work, as I am curious also.
Kool thanks. if possible could you weigh a 50cm.

the reason I ask is that ive been told the ocr-1 is heavier than others in its price range I was just wondereing how heavy. I picked up an Ocr-3 50cm and it felt pretty light to me. not "wow thats light" but a light weight for a round town roadie.

edit: and since you work in a shop would putiing a double crank require alot of parts to be changed.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
well i doubt we have a 50cm, i will look but as far as i know all we have built up right now are 58s and 60s, maybe something a little smaller but im not sure.

As for putting on a double, well depends, off the top of my head I dont think it would be a difficult change on the OCR1 however on the OCR 3 or 2 it would require several part changes if I am not mistaken. I haven't done it myself and usually leave that stuff to the roadies in the shop, I am a newbie to the road stuff.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
mplutodh1 said:
well i doubt we have a 50cm, i will look but as far as i know all we have built up right now are 58s and 60s, maybe something a little smaller but im not sure.

As for putting on a double, well depends, off the top of my head I dont think it would be a difficult change on the OCR1 however on the OCR 3 or 2 it would require several part changes if I am not mistaken. I haven't done it myself and usually leave that stuff to the roadies in the shop, I am a newbie to the road stuff.
the diff in weight between sizes is probly within a few grams. alot of the guys yackin bout the weight are compareing the Ocr-1 to the specialized Allez Elite and the Cannondale R 600. both the Allez and the R600 can be bought with either double or triple chainrings wheras the OCR is triple only, some guys are claiming the OCR is up to 1.5lbs heavier than the other two bikes. a single ring can only account for maby 75 grams and maby 10 grams for hardware. the actual claim is the bulk of the weight is the frame. well last year the OCR was a diffrent frame all togeter and gaint claimed a by materal frame weight of 2.5lbs for the ocr, 2.3lbs for the TCR alloy and 2.1 lbs for the TCR Carbon.
I doubt in the redesign the frame got heavier.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Not sure where they are claiming a 1.5 lb difference, just from my experience with the 60cm I built up last week, its not a tank by any means and an extra 1.5 would be a heck of a weight gain for the OCR. Got my curiousity up now, I will weigh one tomorrow and hopefully get a few sizes for reference. Ours will just be stockers, probably without reflectors or accessories, straight out of the box, assembled and put on the floor. I should hopefully know more tomorrow.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
mplutodh1 said:
Not sure where they are claiming a 1.5 lb difference, just from my experience with the 60cm I built up last week, its not a tank by any means and an extra 1.5 would be a heck of a weight gain for the OCR. Got my curiousity up now, I will weigh one tomorrow and hopefully get a few sizes for reference. Ours will just be stockers, probably without reflectors or accessories, straight out of the box, assembled and put on the floor. I should hopefully know more tomorrow.
hey guy thanks a ton. yah im a bit wonderin bout his 1.5lb claim.

and I was crusin the U.S giant page and i saw this OCR elite with carbon stays. thats sweet. hope gaint brings some to Canada for 05....

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Well our scale was freaking out today, some punk must have used it and tweaked it. One of the other wrenches was going to try and recalibrate it but the weight I got was just around 21lbs for a Large frame. The Small was just under 20. They are a bit heavier than other bikes in the price range but a few parts swapped out (ie that pos stem) and you can save a little weight, plus from what I have heard from owners of this year's OCR's, they are pretty strong and ride pretty well.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
sweet dude.. 20-21 aint too bad.

as far as the double set up heres what I figure. the cranks from truvativ Elitea triple to elita double,front derailer from 105 FD-5504 (triple) to 105 FD-5501 (double),
rear derailer from ultergra RD-6500-GS (triple) to Ultrega RD-6500-SS (double) and the one shifter/brake lever set for double (ulterga)

Im pretty much limited to Giant, Kona and Santa cruz

is it a big price jump from the OCR-1 to the TCR Alloy? because im thinkin this may be better than having a shop try to swap all those parts particulrly as they are not a big Road dealer