Quantcast

Weight of freestyle bike

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
Just out of curosity what is the average weight of a free style bike. I though there was a thread about this already but I was not able to find it. Im used to my 22lb Mnt bike so all free style bikes seem heavy. I know there are three catrogories when buying bike parts and thats cheap strong and light. (pick 2)
Well the bike i got and all others in the price range are cheapr and strong. Also whats your suggestion on the first upgrade on a stock bike. Thanks for all the help I get here.

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
well,
give us a rundown of what's on it.
i would guess that a good first upgrade would be cranks.
big heavy crmo cranks.
just a guess though....

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
Well its a stock Gary Fisher RIG. One peice cranks. Have no clue what kinda breaks are on it. Cheap wheels. I got the bike cheap and it was delivered from fla with no charge. I want to have a flatland/street/park bike. I was thinking going with a three piece crank. What kinda breaks are recomended? Thanks for the help

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
990 mounts are up higher than v brake mounts. 990 or U brakes are nice because they are rugged and can take a beating. I run the Evolver brakes and have yet to have a problem. Out of the box they work great.
My Fit series one weighs 35lbs. With S&M Butler Bars, Redneck stem, Alex triple wall rims w/DK sealed hubs, Haro mirra pro seat, Primo rod post, and xs cranks.

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
So 990 mounts are ubreak mounts ok cool. How much of a difference do break pads make and what would you suggest. I would like to come to a stop as soon as I hit the breaks. I have yet to weigh my bike Im jsut curious to see what it weighs. Thanks for the information.

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Depending on the brakes that you have get the Odyssey 2by4 pads. They are sweeet! There are he 1by4's and the 2by4's the 2by's are just bigger, equalling more grab. I have yet to run them, only because the shop I work at has yet to get them in. I have tried them though and I was impressed.
So all you have to do is get the Odyssey eveolvers and the 2by4 pads and you will be happy.

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
i never really answered the original question so...
my holmes classic w/ profile race cranks, demolition/primo hula hoop wheels(48 spoke, 14mm)/odyessy milk bars/gt race fork/2 kink pegs/wtb seat/cut down s+m seatpost
weighs about 31-33 lbs. when i was brakeless,pegless and had a lighter sprocket i was at 29.