Quantcast

Weight training...How many ladies do it?

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
How many sets? 30 in each hand, that's quite a feat of strength!!! Way to go girl.

I do them as part of a tri-set which includes the DB squats. I do 5 sets x 6 reps with 2 10 lb dumbells.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
How long did it take you to work up to that much weight? Did you start out with bodyweight only?
She's on the road right now so I'll answer for her.
We have been on the current program for 2 weeks and I think she started with either 20 or 25. During the break in period we did Step ups and Static lunges (along with Squats which are part of just about every program we will do) so she had already worked those muscles a decent amount. She already had pretty strong legs so in her case there was no need to start off with just Body weight. Hell, I think she still squats more than my friend Patrick who just started doing the same break in program and he's been working out on and off for awhile.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
How many sets? 30 in each hand, that's quite a feat of strength!!! Way to go girl.

I do them as part of a tri-set which includes the DB squats. I do 5 sets x 6 reps with 2 10 lb dumbells.
This week it was 3 sets of 12, next week 3 sets of 10. That's each leg of coure.

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
all this talk of weights is making me tired. Oh wait a minute,....maybe it was racing this weekend that did it. Hummm, don't forget to rest too!

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
all this talk of weights is making me tired. Oh wait a minute,....maybe it was racing this weekend that did it. Hummm, don't forget to rest too!
Indeed. Rest is the most overlooked yet most important part of the stength/muscle building process. Without adequate rest you will never see any gains and will ultimately be more prone to injury.
We will normally take a full week off between each cycle and with a really intense cycle will bump the recovery period to 2 weeks.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
Everyone should check out this site: http://mtbstrengthcoach.com/

Check out his blog's he writes some good stuff on workouts.

It's super different from every other workout I have ever done. Super Specific for MTB!!

Basically stay away from: Workout Gloves, Machines, Bodybuilding Exercises like Today all work my upper body tomorrow lower.

Good MTB exercises like Neck Lifts, Dead Lift's (Goal for every MTB'er should be Double Body weight dead lift for women 1 1/2) Core exercises like just holding weight above you head for a Min. One of the best MTB Core exercises. Or walking around with 60-70lbs. for a min.

He even say's stay away from crunch's because that only strengthens the core in that motion and you do not use that on a bike. The core is a Stabilizing Platform and should be trained as such by using Core Stabilizing exercises.

His site really opened my eyes to Specific training for MTB. Not all this Bodybuilding jumbo going around because that type of training dose not help you on a bike. You may look good but on a bike No.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
Good MTB exercises like Neck Lifts, Dead Lift's (Goal for every MTB'er should be Double Body weight dead lift for women 1 1/2) Core exercises like just holding weight above you head for a Min. One of the best MTB Core exercises. Or walking around with 60-70lbs. for a min.

He even say's stay away from crunch's because that only strengthens the core in that motion and you do not use that on a bike. The core is a Stabilizing Platform and should be trained as such by using Core Stabilizing exercises.
While personally I would never do a workout specifically for Mountain Biking (I'm more into the overall fitness and strength thing) I definitely agree with most of what he says and his philosophies mirror a lot of t the ones I've adopted lately.. i.e. no machines (although I always had that one) no gloves, straps, belts, etc... and multi-joint exercises vs. the standard body builder routine consisting of isolation/single-muscle specific exercises.

I would have to disagree about the use of the crunch though. While a floor crunch is fairly worthless a Swiss Ball crunch is a great exercise and definitely woth rotating it into certain workouts. Not only is it the most effective form of crunch for the rectus abdomus, but it also hits the obliques pretty well unlike most other form of crunches. And personally I find that overal abdominal strength really helps with fending off "runners" cramps which I have been prone to getting while cycling in the past. And as you start dead ligting and squatting more weight a strong rectus abdomis is crucial to being able to properly stabalize.

And speaking of Dead Lifts, today I managed 3 sets of 10 @ 115% of my body weight and Friday I'll shoot for the same but at 120-125% body weight.
I'm doing the same weight for Squats and considering how long I avoided both Squats and Deadlifts am definitely pleased with how fast I've progressed. And Mohsee is doing the same with about 80% of her body weight.
Once it cools off and we are able to start hitting the 4X course and BMX track we should be exploding out of the gate :)

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
Awhile ago I read a study indicating that weight belts can actually be quite harmful.
Like many have already established, they can artificially strengthen the torso and assist with doing things like dead lifts and squats but this is actually a disservice because you aren't helping build your core strength.

But the other big negative is that they can cause actual physical/internal damage. When you do squats and deadlifts your rectus abdomis actually exerts a lot of outward force. When you restrict the outward force with a belt you can actully cause some internal damage.

So yeah, ditch the belt and focus on proper form and lighter weights until you develop the core to support those heavier weights.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
Was looking through his blog and he mentions holding the weight overhead while walking in a small figure 8. Sounds like an excellent exercise and I'll definitely incorporate it into a some of my programs.

Thanks

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
The minute I thouch any kind of weights, I get huge. I've come to be fond of my muscles. My trainer told me I'm mesomorphic... Anyway, they just pop out and they are big (thank the genetics). I weight train but I go light on the weight and do high reps with lower body stuff.