Quantcast

weight?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Static weight on the frame, saddle, seatpost, chain device etc, not a big deal imho.

Rotational weight, more serious.

Unsprung weight, most important.

It's all about keeping your wheels in contact with the ground better, giving more traction and faster cornering.

As a bonus reducing your unsprung weight is ususally acoompanied by reducing your rotational weight.

Tyres, rims, spokes, hubs, cassette, rear mech, calipers, fork lowers, springs - all worth lightening where possible imho.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Transcend said:
it will when you have to pedal it out of every corner on a racecourse...

yep, simply a huge difference comparing a 38lb race bike to a 48lb one, regardless of what suspension each has.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
- seb said:
Rotational weight, more serious.

Unsprung weight, most important.

here's one that most people don't think about;

virtually everything you do on a bike is an acceleration, turning, acellerating forward, pedaling, manuvering, etc...weight makes a huge difference because everytime we pedal, or change something (our path) it is an accelleration. It's not just our wheels, it's the big picture, and while our body is the "center", the bike and it's extremeties are the lever. This is why a big heavy bike will tire the hell out of you, no matter HOW great it pedals (or how great it's claime to pedal, hehe :D )

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
You're not wrong Jm_. I remember when my mate who was on a big old heavy DH rig had a go on my 222 last year, he couldn't believe how easy it was to change lines, flick the front end around, corner, etc etc.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
It is a trade off for weight and strength...you make your choices and have to deal with them.

DH tubes or XC tubes...to Flat or not to flat.

Light weight wheels or bomb proof wheels...taco'd wheel or tacos for lunch.

Etc, etc.

The lightest you can make your bike while still having a strong rig is my ideal. now I am fat so my parts are even heavier. ;)

While weight should be a consideration....it shouldn't go to the extremes that some bike part go to....that damn carbon(no pad) shell seat thing....that is a trip to the ER looking to happen on a Dh bike.

It is all a trade off. (this is a general rule, not all encompassing)

Rhino

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
FWIW I'm currently sourcing an 11-30 8spd XTR cassette. Good ratios unlike silly road blocks, and only 205g.... :)

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
- seb said:
FWIW I'm currently sourcing an 11-30 8spd XTR cassette. Good ratios unlike silly road blocks, and only 205g.... :)
You mean like my 11-21 Dura-ace :)

Light bikes are all about compromise, but I haven't broken anything but derailures this year so I don't think my 37lbs BCD is too light... yet.

The difference between trying to accelerate a 5lb wheel vrs a 8-10lb one are HUGE when you have to do it over and over inside 5min on a race course.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Don't forget price. There's an old Keith Bontrager quote about bikes that goes something like: "Cheap, light, and strong. Pick two."

Lots of riders end up with heavier rigs because they need strength and can't afford to pay for stuff that is both strong and light. Parts that are light and strong are usually way pricey.

I agree though, regardless of suspension, etc., a lighter bike is easier to ride, more tossable, easier to accelerate, change direction, etc., and will result in much less fatigue at the end of a long day - even if it's a lift-assisted day. About the only downside is that a lighter bike is slightly less settled at speed in places like rock gardens and other gnarly stuff. There's probably a physics explanation having to do with mass and momentum or something, all I know is that it's easier to get knocked off your line on a lighter bike.

For racing I'd say five pounds is a lot. That's more than 10% of a 45 lb bike. At the elite level where every detail counts, all other things being equal I'd guess five pounds could be enough to lose a place or two.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Last year i raced a 52lb banshee scream. It had a shiver and 2.7" tires on doubletrack rims. This year im on a 45 lb turner DHR with a boxxer, and 2.5" tires on azonic outlaws. So 7lbs lighter comparing bikes. i have much less weight in my wheels and fork. I can really feel a difference. The bike is easier to accelerate for sure. Its also easier to whip around in corners, but its also alot differnt in geometry/COG than the scream, so maybe thats not a good comparison. I can also pop the bike off stuff much easier, the scream took alot more effort to get in the air. I can say though the heavier bike seemed to be more stable in the air, but harder to get styled on a jump. i still have my beefy wheels that i put on for whistler/ heavy Freeriding. I'll take the tradeoff of weight for some strenght for all day abuse.