Quantcast

Weighted Reputation Points

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My observation on the post reputation deal… not really having any knowledge of the RMs template format it seems pretty obvious that rep points are weighted.

My rep is pretty low so when I leave a positive comment it might be worth 5 points towards the rep of the person I leave a comment to. Someone who has lots of green squares may have rep that is worth 20 points… those with lots of points can continue to raise the value of their reputation by constantly leaving positive reputation to their internet buddies who return the favor… thus building the value of each others reputation.

It all seems like an Internet version of Lord of the Flies, we’ll all begin pandering to each other’s need for acceptance and approval. Soon we’ll all become empty headed rep whores who forgot that bikeys is cool.

For some odd reason I feel the need to have lots of little green squares... prior to the reputation system this desire did not exist. :help:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Serial Midget said:
It all seems like an Internet version of Lord of the Monkeys, we’ll all begin pandering to each other’s need for acceptance and approval. Soon we’ll all become empty headed rep whores who forgot that bikeys is cool.

Fixed! :D

But yeh seriously I fell that the weighting is an issue that is wide open to abuse. :(

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't like bad rep with no comment. I understand if people didn't want to sign it, but at least say why you disapprove.

I haven't figured out the weight thing, but I kinda quit looking after the last few I've gotten because it no longer makes sense.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Serial Midget said:
My observation on the post reputation deal… not really having any knowledge of the RMs template format it seems pretty obvious that rep points are weighted.

My rep is pretty low so when I leave a positive comment it might be worth 5 points towards the rep of the person I leave a comment to. Someone who has lots of green squares may have rep that is worth 20 points… those with lots of points can continue to raise the value of their reputation by constantly leaving positive reputation to their internet buddies who return the favor… thus building the value of each others reputation.

It all seems like an Internet version of Lord of the Flies, we’ll all begin pandering to each other’s need for acceptance and approval. Soon we’ll all become empty headed rep whores who forgot that bikeys is cool.

For some odd reason I feel the need to have lots of little green squares... prior to the reputation system this desire did not exist. :help:
In laymans terms, it is called internet nut swinging.

Pube to pube.....

Goatse

Chimp
May 27, 2006
MMike said:
People should care. In the future, bad internet forum reps could ruin your chance to be president.
sumday I 'll b da prez. Gimme good points yawl!!!!!!!!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My rep powers are worth something like 300 or 400 points apiece, thanks to a fluke :think:

I rep people based on specific posts, though... Pretty much treat it like a post in a thread - where I'd normally say, "Damn, that's funny," instead I'll give them an approval and say it in the comments.

J

JRB

You can always start a thread asking for rep points. Unfortunately - that can go either way.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
binary visions said:
My rep powers are worth something like 300 or 400 points apiece, thanks to a fluke :think:

I rep people based on specific posts, though... Pretty much treat it like a post in a thread - where I'd normally say, "Damn, that's funny," instead I'll give them an approval and say it in the comments.
I would give Binary Visions positive rep but he has too much power as it is.

I do approve of your posts though, BV. :thumb: :D

J

JRB

Some dillhole neg repped me for this thread, but couldn't sack up to say anything. Lame.

J

JRB

See below for people that know how to do it.

Weighted Reputation Poin... 05-27-2006 10:26 AM
Sad News -- Desmond Dekk... 05-26-2006 06:50 PM Okay Loco, Buck rightfully has his in place in muscial history but Roy was the awesome picker.-Trainwreck
Sad News -- Desmond Dekk... 05-26-2006 11:29 AM Tell them Philastines whats up! Buck Owens is a god.
~~Good Friday Morning!!~~ 05-26-2006 09:00 AM Ha! Made me laugh! -McGRP01
Should I go to dinner??? 05-25-2006 03:52 PM Sticking it to the man? I approve! - Dogwonder
Lounge Regulars Read Thi... 05-25-2006 11:36 AM The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. -slugman
Lounge Regulars Read Thi... 05-25-2006 10:04 AM good job missing the point!
Little Monkeys 05-24-2006 08:55 PM Nice!
a truck this big 05-24-2006 04:06 PM Still suckin' after all these years...
Do you wear oversized su... 05-24-2006 08:49 AM haha...I knew you'd take a shot at manhattan90210. -IAB
Who smokes... tabacco? 05-23-2006 04:30 PM Mercy rep for the little begger bitch. Nya nya. - Haytor
fruit alert...I caught s... 05-23-2006 03:10 PM
Age??? 05-22-2006 03:11 PM Get over it -- Anonymous
Little League fans? 05-22-2006 02:24 PM Eating the donut-eating dog.... -SS-
Age??? 05-22-2006 01:17 PM you are retarded

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
binary visions said:

hell yeah.
you and h8r put me in orbit.