Quantcast

Weird carnage on my 40

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
We were doing practice runs today on our local track. I hit a rock funny going 32 (I know how fast I was going cause my computer told me so) and I got pitched into a couple trees and down the trail. We think I broke my ankle, am currently waiting for the swelling to go down, and Ill need stiches in my arm.

Broke my stem off my fork somewhere in the crash. Pretty gnarly looking.
ATTN: STILL LOVE MY 40. NOWHERE AM I SAYING ITS JUNK OR AM I GOING TO TRY AND WARRENTY ANYTHING. PICTURES ARE JUST FOR PEOPLE TO SEE!

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Remember the advantage of a-head stems back in the day when direct mounts came along? They would rotate during a crash instead of breaking the fork/bar :D

lamp

Monkey
Mar 21, 2008
out of curiosity: pre-crash, did your steerer fully, um, penetrate your stem?

e - freeridefool - half the time I see your sig I read something about your girlfriend being low and slack.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I could see this being caused by a too-short stem too..

At any rate, glad you came out fairly ok OP. Looks like the perfect excuse to get a DM stem? :)

.. right after getting a new bottom crown+steer tube :(

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
It was long enough. I only had about 3/16 of an inch from the top of my stem. In the pictures the head set is loose and the crown has slid up a little bit. The bike was spit about 50 feet down a ravine.

I just ordered the function bikes crowns. So new bike parts are making me feel better.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
wow dude.. that could of been alot worse.. glad to hear your alright except for the minor injuries...

nice giant.. i'v always loved those old style frames

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
It was long enough. I only had about 3/16 of an inch from the top of my stem. In the pictures the head set is loose and the crown has slid up a little bit. The bike was spit about 50 feet down a ravine.

I just ordered the function bikes crowns. So new bike parts are making me feel better.
Healing vibes Lucas. New bike parts are good medicine. ;)

lamp

Monkey
Mar 21, 2008
Looks like the star nut pulled out, which would explain the way everything looks post-crash

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
i dont think your ankle is broken. doesnt look swollen enough, but let us know what the x-ray says.
As for your steerer tube, jeepers.that's quite a smash you had. Good thing it can be replaced.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I could see this being caused by a too-short stem too..

At any rate, glad you came out fairly ok OP. Looks like the perfect excuse to get a DM stem? :)

.. right after getting a new bottom crown+steer tube :(
It looks like there were a lot of spacers between the stem and crown.
X2
Thats exactly what it looked like...
What I see, is that the bars were turned to the side, fork stopped on the frame while something else hit the bars. Probably while the rider was still on the bike, twisting the stem on the steerer, forcably pulling the stem up, and away, eventually sheering the steerer.

Personally, I would be a little worried about my downtube and toptube after an incident such as this.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
It looks like there were a lot of spacers between the stem and crown.
I dont run any spacers on any of my bikes. The stem was flush to the crown and the crown flush to the headset. You can see in the pics that I dont even have a dust cover on my headset, why would I have spacers. But thanks everybody. My ankle isnt broken thank god. Just f-ed up. 12 stiches in my arm.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I dont run any spacers on any of my bikes. The stem was flush to the crown and the crown flush to the headset. You can see in the pics that I dont even have a dust cover on my headset, why would I have spacers. But thanks everybody. My ankle isnt broken thank god. Just f-ed up. 12 stiches in my arm.
Good to hear you're O.K. :thumb:

I finally did the course today. Quite the brake tester. I'm pretty sure I saw where you bit it. Right before the little drop? (before the road section?) There was a tree that got nailed by something...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Amazing stuff in this thread. We have comprehensive analysis of the failure, simple medical diagnosis of an ankle and visual confirmation of the kill zone. Ironicly, the only random topic not covered would be the need for stitches. I'm gonna say from the amount of blood loss, we're talking maximum 9 stitches. Who's taking the under?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm going to have to go with 12 stitches on this one and also diagnose bizutch with some reading comprehension and/or attention span issues. :D

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Good to hear you're O.K. :thumb:

I finally did the course today. Quite the brake tester. I'm pretty sure I saw where you bit it. Right before the little drop? (before the road section?) There was a tree that got nailed by something...
Thanks Cliff. My crash started on the steep strait before the little drop. I found a bad fast line off the log drop, cut the corner and only hit the second berm. Im not sure if that meant too much speed but I do remember tree ground, tree ground tree. On a good note though, I had my buddy Ken's helmet on so he could helmet cam me on the way down. So I ruined his helmet instead of mine.