Quantcast

Weird Creaking in a new bike - What is my dumb brain missing?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So did some riding on the new bike and I makes a noise I can't localize to save my life so maybe some of the monkeys who are more aware of bikes produced in the past 10 year have an idea.

Only happens when I pedal seated. Not when coasting, not when jumping and yes I checked if there is any play in the bearings and headset before riding.

Can it be the crank preloader? It's properly tightened so what else could it be? I feel dumb since I didn't assemble the bike so it's less obvious to me.

BTW. feels really weird to ask a bike related question on RM.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm assuming bearing problem since there is no play. I did notice some metal shavings on one of the pivots.
A creak doesn't mean thee is play, or noticeable play in anything. If all surfaces aren't perfectly flat or all bores perfectly round or all holes perfectly aligned shit can creak. Everything can be perfect in the stand but twisting forces from pedaling can fuck things up. You really just need to go through the process of elimination. Loosening a pivot or BB and see if the sound changes, stand up when pedaling, pedal with one foot at a time etc.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Lube the post in the frame (or carbon paste if it's slippy). I get creaks from time to time here and it's like an annual service.

I see chainring creaks as well but those would present standing or sitting.

Saddle clamp mechanism can also be a source of creaks. Make sure it's greased and ready to go. Otherwise, could be saddle. I had a saddle that would creak where the rails would flex, and another that would actually rub the body on rails.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Weirdly didn't expect this on a preassembled bike.
I'd expect it. Whoever assembled it isn't the owner, so they aren't as vested in the bike as you are. If you were to break it down and reassemble, you'd probably put a lot more time and care in the process.

The person assembling it might not even know how to ride a bike.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'd expect it. Whoever assembled it isn't the owner, so they aren't as vested in the bike as you are. If you were to break it down and reassemble, you'd probably put a lot more time and care in the process.

The person assembling it might not even know how to ride a bike.
Yeah true. I had to do quite a bit of work on my GF's roadbike canyon.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Been seeing a LOT of Specialized saddles lately with rail pockets in the polymer frame that HOWL if you even put your hand on the seat. QC across the board with COVID has gone to hell.