Quantcast

Weird first date

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
I posted this story in my local SoCalmtb.com site, but I'm posting it here not just to throw out a goofy story, but to remind people to let the docs take care of you when you're hurt, and to not be a butthead like I usually am when I fvck myself up and ignore medical advice....today ended ok, but could have been really bad..anyway, on to my goofy story:

OK, this girl may be a keeper. I met her through friends and while we'd hung out together a bit in a group and become fairly close, we had not yet had any on-on-one time. 5'11" (yes, she's taller than me) blond, gorgeous, actually pretty damn smart, older than most women I date (she just turned 24...a bit over the hill? :-)........)

Anyway, why do I mention her at all? Well, because our "first date" was a trip to the ER.

I went down hard...HARD on the Luge (a local super fast and twisty fun trail)and literally lawn darted into a big boulder...not a scratch on my body, no (new) bruises or marks anywhere except for the huge smashed in dent on my helmet. The way I darted, I compressed my neck and upper back really badly. I almost couldn't get up to ride out, but since I was alone, I had to. Made it home, showered, ate, then laid in bed for a bit... I ignored the admonishing of 2 other friends to go to the ER, but when she called and immediately told me that instead of going out, we're going to the ER, I couldn't say no.

I of course called ahead and was met at UCIMC (where I work) by a buddy in security, but this time I didn't have to pull favors to get into a room. The triage assessment was pretty alarming....neck pain, chest pain, trouble breathing, numbness and tingling in my hands....oh sh!t, this may be the day I finally did something really really bad to myself. A CT, Xrays, neuro exam, etc etc. were performed right away, but a few major traumas came in while awaiting results and extended my stay. She was right there, holding my hand, rubbing my tingling hands, stroking my face... Finally, even in major pain, I dozed off and she did too...

Wow, that's kind of hot...first date and we slept together in my ER! :p

After we laughed about that, the doctors told me no concussion, no broken neck; just a sprained neck, possible minor bone bruise, a spinal cord stinger, technically a spinal cord injury, but not a bad one...it should get better in a day or two. We came home, she tucked me in and then headed home because she has a family breakfast to attend at 8am (it's 4:30 right now). I've gotta say, it was a pretty damn good date! :love:

J

JRB

Glad you're ok. Don't rank the date too high. I am sure she thinks you are a sissy now. ;)

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
BMXPrincess06 said:
so how do you plan to top this date when you take her out agin?
She's a kick-back kinda girl, and she did reply when I thanked her for taking me to the ER, "just return the favor when I fall off my bike and almost kill myself." I said, "you've got a deal." So, second date I'm thinking maybe we'll drop by the local urgent care, or something and have some serious kinky sex. :evil: Just kidding... no I'm not... ahh hell, I dunno what we'll do for our second date, but I am seeing her tonight.

Oh yeah, did I mention part of our conversation was about the day's tour results? :thumb:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
She sounds like a keeper. Kinda reminds me of my inlaws met. Guy inures himself in car to prom with girl. Girl falls for guy...ok not the same but similar in a offbeat sort of way :D

good luck with everything and glad to hear it wasn't serious. (the injury)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
"older than most women i date...24". damn, how old are you?

good to hear there's no neurological damage from the crash, that stuff can get spooky.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
narlus said:
"older than most women i date...24". damn, how old are you?

good to hear there's no neurological damage from the crash, that stuff can get spooky.
I just turned 35. I love living and working in southern California. :evil:

Man, I feel like sh!t today...hands are still tingling, but are now a bit swollen, neck and head feel like poop... but I can revel in the fact that I won 2 bets with her about 1- whether I'd be admitted to the hospital for observation (no, I wasn't, so I win!) and 2-whether I'd be able to even get out of bed today (I barely made it, but I did it.)

J

JRB

El Jefe said:
but I can revel in the fact that I won 2 bets with her about 1- whether I'd be admitted to the hospital for observation (no, I wasn't, so I win!) and 2-whether I'd be able to even get out of bed today (I barely made it, but I did it.)

Telling her how much better you are than her is a sure way to keep her around. :love:

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
loco-gringo said:
Telling her how much better you are than her is a sure way to keep her around. :love:
Who said anything about being better? Lucked out on not getting admitted, and sheer stubbornness got me up today. I'm not better, just lucky and stubborn. It's good for her to know this right away, yes? :D Of course, being patronizing and letting her win isn't good either....trust me, with the stakes we were betting, win or lose, we're both going to benefit. :p

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
loco-gringo said:
Smart play holmes :thumb:
A smarter play would have been to "inadvertently" put the hospital gown on backwards and ask her to please fasten the lower ties for you so that you don't have to bend over and strain your spine. :devil:

"Oh! It's supposed to tie in back, then?" :D

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
llkoolkeg said:
A smarter play would have been to "inadvertently" put the hospital gown on backwards and ask her to please fasten the lower ties for you so that you don't have to bend over and strain your spine. :devil:

"Oh! It's supposed to tie in back, then?" :D
Well, all I'll say about that, is that she, and the very hot doctor (whose office is right next to mine) both know I was going commando that night....well, I usually do anyway, but, umm, well. uh... nevermind. :evil:

Edit- Oh yeah, so was she (my date going commando, not the doctor...well who knows, maybe the doc too? :think: :thumb: )

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
El Jefe said:
I went down hard...HARD on the Luge (a local super fast and twisty fun trail)and literally lawn darted into a big boulder...
Didn't you just recover from smashing your knee!

I think you're just doing it to meet chicks... so when are we riding next? :sneaky:

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Slugman said:
Didn't you just recover from smashing your knee!

I think you're just doing it to meet chicks... so when are we riding next? :sneaky:
Recover from smashing my knee? Well, not really. It's still swollen, and it looks like there's some cartilage damage, but the doc says I can go according to the level of pain I can handle. The disclocated knee cap popped right back in, and is stable.

I'm probably riding later today, but tonight is a wife night for you, right? I'll likely go for a quick one tomorrow as well. Oh yeah, not that there are a ton of roadies here, but any occasion is a good excuse for a party, so tomorrow night at Kelly McCue's, I'm hosting a little get-together to watch the TdF time trial, drink beer, play pool, etc. I'm going to snag the private room with the couches and big screen. Things will get rolling around 8:30pm. Come on in if you can.

Oh yeah, I don't get hurt to meet chicks, but I can't say I mind the fringe benefit of having a good story and receiving some good old fashioned female offerings of sympathy. :evil:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
El Jefe said:
I'm probably riding later today, but tonight is a wife night for you, right? I'll likely go for a quick one tomorrow as well.
Yup.

And I have some repair work to do on my bike as I took a nasty spill at BB this weekend...

I'll probably be up for riding mid-week.

El Jefe said:
so tomorrow night at Kelly McCue's, I'm hosting a little get-together to watch the TdF time trial, drink beer, play pool, etc. I'm going to snag the private room with the couches and big screen. Things will get rolling around 8:30pm. Come on in if you can.
Cool! :thumb:

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Slugman said:
Yup.

And I have some repair work to do on my bike as I took a nasty spill at BB this weekend...

I'll probably be up for riding mid-week.

Cool! :thumb:
You break your bike almost as often as I break my body. Wait, you break your body too....nice!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
El Jefe said:
You break your bike almost as often as I break my body. Wait, you break your body too....nice!
Yup... 7 staples in the shin (yes... I was wearing armor too!). :stosh:

BTW - since you work at a hospital can you answer me this: Is it customary to NOT give anything to numb the wound before using staples?

It actually didn't hurt too badly until the 5th one... :angry:

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
dud, I lawndarted and compressed my neck too this Spring. Sucks. Luckily I had buds to walk my bike out of the woods. I was hurting and could hardly walk.
Finally my neck started feeling good, 3 months later and Friday a woman slams into the back of my car as I was at a stop light. She was stopped too, and either whaled on the gas pedal for some unknown reason or foot slipped off the clutch. My car was fine as I have a receiver hitch sticking out.
Welp, now my neck and back are killin again. :dead:

Knuckle

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Knuckleslammer said:
dud, I lawndarted and compressed my neck too this Spring. Sucks. Luckily I had buds to walk my bike out of the woods. I was hurting and could hardly walk.
I saw those pictures on BustedSpoke... you looked a bit out of it.