Quantcast

Weird Sound from my King headset

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
When my fork (DC Shiver) takes any small hits (like bringing the wheel down from a manual) where the front end is relatively unweighted, I hear a metal-on-metal banging from my headset. It appears to be tight enough (maybe too tight?) and the headtube isn't ovalized I don't think. Is this normal for King headsets? Any other possible sources/solutions?

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
My DC Shiver did the same thing.

Had a slight top-out noise, due to a tiny amount of play in the circlips on the top of each leg... Easy fix.
-remove the knobs off of the top of each leg
-remove the circlips
-sandwich the clip in a fold of electrical tape. One piece on top, one piece underneath, and cut the excess tape from around the shape of the clip. This will effectively thicken the clip.
-install clips and knobs back onto top of leg.
-go ride.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
This isn't a top out noise though, this happens right as the wheel contacts the ground. Thought it might have been my axle at first but it's coming from higher up towards the headtube.

ILikeFood

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
bomberboy11 said:
When my fork (DC Shiver) takes any small hits (like bringing the wheel down from a manual) where the front end is relatively unweighted, I hear a metal-on-metal banging from my headset. It appears to be tight enough (maybe too tight?) and the headtube isn't ovalized I don't think. Is this normal for King headsets? Any other possible sources/solutions?
This happened to me a few years back with a Jr. T; it ended up the top cup cracked at the junction between the headtube press-in and the bearing press-in. Couldnt' see anything (but could hear the noise), eventually the top cup split into two...and unfortunately ovalized the lower part of my headtube. Chris King sent me a brand new headset...

-f00d

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
bomberboy11 said:
This isn't a top out noise though, this happens right as the wheel contacts the ground. Thought it might have been my axle at first but it's coming from higher up towards the headtube.
When your wheel first contacts the ground, the fork is fully extended, like at top-out. Any play there will make a noise. Mine did the same thing as yours, going both up, and down as you describe. Just do yourself a favour and check the clips, it's a very common problem on the Shiver.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Hmmmmm I'm going to have to check on both of those, thanks for the advice guys. Food, how did that ovalize the lower part of your headtube ovalize if it was the top cup that cracked?

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
bomberboy11 said:
Eh, I didn't particularly want it, just came with the bike. I'd much rather have a Pig or Diabolous, or better yet one of those hot looking Syncros :drool:
I've got a Pig DH Pro; soooo nice, but Chris Kings are really good too.