Quantcast

Weirdest Crash Ever

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
The setup: I have a mid 80s Miyata 310 that I converted from 12spd to an SS. I use it for riding around town and the occasional ride to work. It's a fun bike.

I work on campus at the local Uni. Students come back this weekend so "public safety" is getting ready by putting wooden "no parking" barriers out close to the locations where they'll be needed on Sunday afternoon.

I get off work at 4:30 and a storm is brewing south of town and the wind is getting mighty gusty.

The wreck: Start making the trip back to the house wondering if I'm going to beat the rain. I turn south into the wind down the main drag through town. I have to take the next left to go home. As I begin the turn the wind whips up something fierce. Leaves and dust are blowing into my face hard enough that the specs of dirt in the air actually start stinging and I have to squint to see where I'm going. Right on the south corner of the road I turn on, two "no parking" barriers are setup in the grass with a length of that yellow "caution do not cross" plastic tape between them.

I couldn't believe what transpired next. The wind caught the plastic and it begins to stretch out right at h-bar level into my lane. Fortunately, there weren't any cars coming and I kept moving over to the left lane. My next thought was "I'm gonna break my collar bone" as one of the wooden barriers is actually being carried across the right lane right into my path. I was able to brake hard enough not to hit it at speed. Down I went.

I actually got laid out in the road by no parking barrier! No damage done to myself outside of a couple bruises and scrapes on my left leg and upper left arm.

Weirdest crash ever!