Quantcast

Welcome me to the world of 20mm.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Rip said:
No, it's not on right now, because I'm still waiting on the wheel.
Ok. But when you get the wheel, I suggest installing that fork on a mountain bicycle. I think that would be a fun bicycle, with that fork on there. Yup.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
LordOpie said:
umm, there's a fork with 20mm suspension travel? I'm not that knowledgeable, but if so, why?
Double

You

Tea

Ehf??!!?

:think:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
chicodude01 said:
that didn't help.

Seriously. Explain it. That's less than 1" of travel. Or does 20mm refer to something else? It can't be the steer tube, could it? I mean, that sounds narrow and fragile.

Maybe it is a typo and it's really 20cm of travel? That'd be nearly 8".

EDIT: okay, thank you fookers for explaining it. I googled and 20mm is the drop-out. Maybe one of you would care to explain why 20mm drop-outs is important?

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
LordOpie said:
that didn't help.

Seriously. Explain it. That's less than 1" of travel. Or does 20mm refer to something else? It can't be the steer tube, could it? I mean, that sounds narrow and fragile.

Maybe it is a typo and it's really 20cm of travel? That'd be nearly 8".

EDIT: okay, thank you fookers for explaining it. I googled and 20mm is the drop-out. Maybe one of you would care to explain why 20mm drop-outs is important?
Oh my. :D

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
20mm is the size of the axel, so instead of the puny QR lever and standard drop outs, they use a bigger 20mm axel and hub to increase stiffness up front :D

Not that it matters to you roadie boi

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
chicodude01 said:
20mm is the size of the axel, so instead of the puny QR lever and standard drop outs, they use a bigger 20mm axel and hub to increase stiffness up front :D
ah, the axel.

Thanks man!

And yeah, I'm not hucking anything but the occassional curb or bunny hopping the pot hole.

PAVEMENT RULES! :D

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
chicodude01 said:

Not that it matters to you roadie boi
Lemme elaborate a bit more on this for Lord Opie (he's a roadie). Thru axles, of any diameter (Hannebrink=25mm, Marz, Rock Shox, Manitou are all IS which is 20mm, my Mr. Dirt, an odd ball, is 17mm), is to stiffen up the area where the wheel interfaces either the fork or the rear triangle. When bolted on vs those wimpy QR clamps, forks legs have another stiffening member (hum... could very well be taken the wrong way), as does the rear triangle. This helps reduce independent leg/swingarm flex.

Edit: the rear thru axles are either 10mm (just like the QR ones, but is instead bolted on), 12mm, or the now defunct 20mm. Again, there's an odd ball 17mm used by Tomac's 204 Magnum.