Quantcast

Welcome to Geneva Steel. (Broadband only)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm trying to think of the feeling this place exudes...October Sky?

Soundtrack to editing these is Apocalyptica - Nothing Else Matters

All photos credit of Ben Kuhns

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
there used to be an old abandoned dormatory near my house that we would break into...it was kinda creapy cause they also use it as a haunted house around halloween so you would walk into a room and there would be a dead body hanging or somethin like that...it was pretty cool but then they tore it down

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
cannondalejunky said:
there used to be an old abandoned dormatory near my house that we would break into...it was kinda creapy cause they also use it as a haunted house around halloween so you would walk into a room and there would be a dead body hanging or somethin like that...it was pretty cool but then they tore it down
Ah...but the sheer size of this place, it's staggering (building we were in is a half mile long). We've barely scratched the surface. It existed for 60 years and was central to thousands, if not millions of lives, yet no one bothered to ever take pictures...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Btw:

Geneva Steel in Vineyard, UT was closed in Nov. 2001 after Geneva Steel, LLC filed for bankruptcy a second time since 1999. As to my knowledge, the companies assets were then liquidated by its main creditor, Citicorp. A scrap company supposedly won a bid for the land and whatever was on top of it. Most of the milling equipment has been sold to Chinese steel manufacturers (as you can tell from the photos, most stuff is marked with salvaging reference numbers). As far as I know, whatever is left after the salvage is being demolished. However, it is entirely possible the salvage company could pull out beforehand, as rumour has it there was no clause in the contract requiring them to clean up the site. There has been talk of turning the area into a large housing development, but the toxicity of the ground and neighboring Utah Lake (used as Geneva's personal retention reservoir for 40+ years) is a major detriment to such an effort. At this point, only select shareholders know for sure what is going on. Most of this is speculation, but I think the buildings will still be there in ten years, because nobody wants that godforsaken hunk of ground.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've spent years of my life in factories like that, just as dirty and old and nasty, just still operating.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Really cool place. It looks like there is lots of potential to take a lot of really cool photos. Take a tripod next time. A few of the pictures are pretty blurry.

Sep 20, 2003
Waterford, Michigan
excellent, excellent pics. I spent 13 years working in a steel mill -- they all look pretty much like that, even when they are still in business ('cept that there's alot of hot steel around). I did spend a couple of days at Geneva a few (10+) years ago....those pics are like taking ride through my own memory bank.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
jdschall said:
Really cool place. It looks like there is lots of potential to take a lot of really cool photos. Take a tripod next time. A few of the pictures are pretty blurry.
Yeah, my cohort (Ben) is the photographer...I'm too broke right now for a decent camera. The tripod would be nice for the long exposures at night, but then there's the problem of getting it in and setting it up whilst under constant threat. It's very much a commando operation to get in and take some pictures, let alone get a tripe setup :(

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SurlyInstigator said:
excellent, excellent pics. I spent 13 years working in a steel mill -- they all look pretty much like that, even when they are still in business ('cept that there's alot of hot steel around). I did spend a couple of days at Geneva a few (10+) years ago....those pics are like taking ride through my own memory bank.
Perhaps I can pick your brain for a bit...That building was on the northern side of the plant, is that where most main milling operations took place? There are more large buildings to the south, but we've yet to venture that far, and was wondering if you knew of anything that could be valuable...

Sep 20, 2003
Waterford, Michigan
blue said:
Perhaps I can pick your brain for a bit...That building was on the northern side of the plant, is that where most main milling operations took place? There are more large buildings to the south, but we've yet to venture that far, and was wondering if you knew of anything that could be valuable...
It's been too long since I've been there, and I've been to too many, to remember specific buildings at Geneva. Based on the pictures so far, it looks like you haven't been to the main melt shop yet, wherever it is.

As far as anything valuable goes...well it's all in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?

Geneva is tiny by steel mill standards, btw. The big mills have a saying: "We spill more steel than they make!" Definitely true these days.