Quantcast

Welcome to me :)

RadRat

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
Hi to all Ridemonkey members,

I found this forum a few days ago and have been searching the threads here. You have a great wealth of info and a good active community, looks like I will be spending some time here :)

Please excuse me while I drag up a couple of old threads to add my opinion or ask further questions.

Cheers,
RadRat

Long rant about me......

I'm an old BMX boy (From Tasmania, southern island state of Australia) I started riding BMX about 1981 when I was 13yrs old, I bought the first BMX to arrive in my local bike shop and was hooked.

I was fairly good at street and dirt jumps for the standards of the day, people still talk of my riding at the local bike shop now. Already having the nickname Rat back then, it soon morphed into Radical Rat, or RadRat, Radical being a too often used term then, I thought it was dorky, but didn't mind the implication. Now days I'm just know as Rat, but that name is already taken here by, ummmm Rat :)

By the time I turned 19 chasing girls overtook chasing air, and smokes and grog made it hard to ride at all, I soon gave up BMX :( (Awwwwwwww)
(Forward to today, gave up smokes 8yrs ago, now occasional drinker)

At 24 I bough a cheap MTB and rode very occasionally.

Now at 36 I have a cheap 12yr old MTB, but my partner bought herself a new
Giant Yukon. Riding that and watching MTB and BMX videos that I have downloaded (F$%king Awesome what they do now, stuff I thought was for dreams only) has inspired me to get stuck in again. (lost 8kg so far)

Now I'm hill training and making great progress, can bunnyhop gutters with ease and coaster wheelie, things are coming back :)

If I can keep it up through winter and make good progress I will reward myself with a new MTB next spring.

Considering how fat and unfit I had become at my worst I think I could say MTBing has saved my life :)

I take my 2yr old son on the back in his seat, he loves it. He gets very excited when I do tricks and is already doing bunny hops on his trike all over the house while saying "Tricks Tricks look at me" :)

I'm gunna have to ride hard to keep up with him I think :D

Phew what a rant, I wonder if anyone will read all that ?????

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
hey dont sell yourself short n00b, i just read all of that. welcome to the new world of 26 inch wheels ans ridemonkey

RadRat

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
Thanks biggins :)

Forgot to add above, I also now ride a Unicycle, fun to practise, I can now mount without holding on to anything and ride in a figure 8 and across the rough grass etc, but can't "idle" yet, gunna practise that now.

Any other Unicyclists here ?

J

JRB

Welcome Rat. Watch out for biggins. He is really a fisherman, and doesn't belong here. ;)

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Welcome to the forums.

Some words of wisdom.
Don't cry and moan when a thread or something of yours gets repressed. This is a private site after all.

Don't be a Mack and please put in an effort to have good spelling and grammar.

I'm very sure you can handle those and welcome to the :monkey:.:)

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Welcome to the Monkey RadRat. You do not have to apologize about the use of the term Rad or radical, since you have put it in perspective. many of us here are your age and were BMXers back in the day. What a lovely introduction of yourself.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Great intro!

Your local reminds me that I really do need to get down to South Australia sometime.... maybe a visit to Adelaide then hop down to Taz...

J

JRB

Rip said:
Welcome to the forums.

Some words of wisdom.
Don't cry and moan when a thread or something of yours gets repressed. This is a private site after all.

Don't be a Mack and please put in an effort to have good spelling and grammar.

I'm very sure you can handle those and welcome to the :monkey:.:)
Hard ass. ;)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Rip said:
please put in an effort to have good spelling and grammar.
:rolleyes: Rip only likes people that speek good, dont wanna offend him now or he might tell ya ta use a comma or somthin'... Pshh.

Oh an welcome the th :monkey:. Good place to kill some time or ask a question about just about anything bike related... There are all sorts in here so most times even non bike related questions will get good answers.

J

JRB

golgiaparatus said:
:rolleyes: Rip only likes people that speek good, dont wanna offend him now or he might tell ya ta use a comma or somthin'... Pshh.

Oh an welcome the th :monkey:. Good place to kill some time or ask a question about just about anything bike related... There are all sorts in here so most times even non bike related questions will get good answers.
Uhm - we don't talk about bikes.