Quantcast

Welcome to one dad's journey....

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Great job!

I did race #2 last Thursday for my 1st ever XC race. I was on flat pedals and single 36 ring up front. BRUTAL!!! Course sounds very similar, I think we came down Liftline but I can't remember exactly, it was around 3 miles according to my computer though. I only did one lap, 29ish mins, pretty sure 25 of them were climbing. lol.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Sounds great!! If you're there this Thursday, I'll be wearing one of my "Alaina" jerseys. Stop me and say hi. Granted, there is a small chance I won't be there, as I'm also riding in the Leadville qualifier being held at N* this Sunday. Maybe you have the day open?

Geez, how I hope to win lottery so I don't have to worry about bills and free time.......

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Geez, what a great day. 62mi and 7h53min in the saddle, and didn't even win the XX group being raffled off, let alone a chance to ride Leadville. But the good thing, I hit all 3 of my goals--

1- Finish, and I did.....
2- Don't get lapped. Ok, so it was 2-31mi laps, the chance of me getting lapped was slim, however, my fat ass can never be trusted, even though I'm down to 217 from 254.....
3- Break 8hrs. Did it by 7min.....

Plus saw a whole new area of Northstar I haven't seen before from a bike. The crew put together one heck of a loop, and the support was beyond helpful. They're already talking about next year, and I hope to be there again. Maybe I won't hike-a-bike as much as this year, haha.

Now to see just how slow I really was compared to others when the results are posted......

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Hello All--

Well, after a few weeks of date night with the wife, I finally made it out to Northstar again for the Thursday Night Series. In fact, the wife came along, as well as 2 of our dogs, and it started out great until the bigger dog decided he wanted to protect our smaller and nip at someone. Good thing his shots are up to date, although it did mean wife left while I rode to make sure it didn't happen again.

If you haven't heard about it before, this series is a great way to just get out and be with friends and have a bit of competition. Yesterday's felt more like the up-and-comer's than us older folks, with quite a few under-20's out. Made this old guy ride just that much harder. Started at the gondola, up the service road to mid-chalet, then left and up to a 2-lap ride around the lake (sorry, I forget the name). Climb made all the single-track worth it. Even used a bit of the Leadville qualifier course, as the mud section from that was crossed twice, which means I need to get out and wash the bike today. Did have a small side-wall puncture, which once again proved to me why I love using Stan's.

With three races to go, I hope the road construction out of Kings Beach is done so I'm not stuck in traffic. Oh well, the joys of riding, eh?

Shawn
Alaina's daddy

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
So now it's over and done. The Thursday Night XC MTB Series at Northstar. Last night was #8, and was a blast as always. Up the main service road, over 6%, Easy Rider, to mid-chalet, over and up some more, Deer Path, Woods. What a blast!!! Still finished last (haha), yet with the biggest smile. Even caught a pair of socks tossed to us. If I have any complaints, it's that I was too busy with date nights with the wife to attend more. Guess that's what next year is all about.......

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
As I'm looking at my calendar of "must-do's", the list includes--

Sea Otter
Downieville
Northstar Thursday Night Series

possibles--

Leadville/Northstar qualifier
Kirkwood 9-5
Anything at Mammoth

As for my sponsors, several have already committed for '12. Granted, I don't have my notebook here, so going by memory, THANK YOU!!!! to--

Voler
Hayes
Thomson
Banshee
WTB
Contour
Trek
Big Daddy's Bikes
(I'll add the rest as I have more caffeine and notes)

If you're at any of these events, should you see a plate with 814 or even 14 on it, chances are good it's me. Stop me and say "HI". I'd still like to meet boatloads of you folks.....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
A few more greatly appreciated sponsors as I ride for Alaina, as well as about 250 other angels I've "met" through Compassionate Friends and a few other support groups (wait until you see the jersey and shorts Voler is helping me with!!)--

Fox Racing Shox
Royal Racing
Ritchey
Smith Sport Optics
Renthal
Steve Peat Syndicate (well, I did apply, and they did offer/accept me, however, I am way too tight of finances to accept their offer)

Now there are still a few out there that have yet to commit, so this may grow by a few more. I can't begin to thank these companies enough for supporting my riding.

And, of course, I am grateful for Ridemonkey for giving me a place to vent, boast, or even just be. Thank you......

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
So the first race of the Northstar Thursday Night series is in the bag. About 70 riders showed up, and it was a great night. Seemed to be a climber's course, as we started up from the gondola, kept going up, 2 laps around Sawmill Pond, and down using the Woods trail. Of course, I still haven't taken remedial helmet cam recording lessons, as the download when I got home didn't take. Guess I'll just have to go out again and try to record again next week......

Oh, time was 1h20m, which bummed me out when I heard/read some riders did low 50min for the same loop. Dayam, if I don't need to lose some more weight, work on my climbing, downhill speed, lung capacity, spinning, etcetcetc.......

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Yesterday was the 4th race in the Northstar Thursday Night Series. After missing #2 to the celebrity golf at Tahoe, and #3 to my parents visiting from Phoenix for the first time in 6yrs, I made it out. Oh, the fun I had. Up the main service road, over to 6%, up Easy Rider, then Knick Knack, and down Woods/Deer Run/Woods, before doing another lap. Road my hardtail, too, and it was a blast. Still didn't place or win a raffle prize, but that's not the point. What I did get was a lengthy visit by a white butterfly, and a quick visit by a hummingbird. Those two made me smile......

Now I just hope I have my Contour figured out so I can share the race.....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
This past Thursday was the 5th race in the Northstar Thursday series, and my 3rd for participation. I felt great, and feel I did better than before. For those that don't know, or those that do, here's the course we rode--

Normal Start: Gondola to Village Run to 6% to Easy Rider to Mid-Mountain, then--

Mid-Mountain to Kickback #1 and #2 to Tryumph to Reservoir Road to Paddywack to Knick Knack to Tryumph to Speed Control to Frolick to Coaster to Bumps and Bends to Mid-Mountain, and finally--

Mineshaft to Woods to Village Run to Gondola

Oh, it was great. At the registration, we're given raffle tickets for the post-event raffle, and since I wanted to get home right after the race, I gave mine to a 12yo girl that I've known from previous events. She told her mom, who knows my story, and thanked me. I wonder if she won, since this is the event before Alaina's 14th bday on Tuesday.....

I really need to learn how to download my Contour videos so you can see my slowness.......

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Well, what a difference 4" of rain in 30-odd hours can do to a course. Arrive in decent time to get my usual pre-ride in, and notice there isn't as much dust/loose dirt on the trails. Find out that Northstar was hit with the above mentioned amount of h2o the previous week, and all the work that was done was washed away. From what I was told, the trail, Gypsy, doesn't exist now.

That being said, it's off the main road, up 6% and Easy Rider to Mid-Mountain, over to I think Tryumph, up to Sawmill and around, then down Tryumph to Mine Shaft to the finish. About 7.5mi, and no, no pics or video, as my battery was dead at the start. Damn, I'll get that right yet. As I checked the results, I finished 4th out of 6, which is far better than my being last as usual. The rider that took 3rd told me he was trying to put distance between us on the climbs, as he felt I was a better downhiller than he. I took that as a compliment.

Next week is the final race for the series, then the Tara Llanes event. I have to beat that rider again. We'll see......

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Hello All--

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Last night was the final for the Northstar Thursday Night XC MTB Series. I was looking forward to it, as I noticed on the overall page that I had a good shot at #6, even #5, for my division. As I was watching who was showing up, I noticed the two ahead of me were not there, and now I just need to see how my points earned move me in the standings.

It was a short loop, about 2.9 miles, which started, as usual, going up the service road to the water tanks, over to 6% and up Easy Rider, then the switchbacks, and once out, down Mine Shaft, up Deer Run, down Woods, around a small section of the Village, and back out. Two laps for beginners, three for sport, and four for experts. I felt good the whole time, and with the exception of a couple of bobbles, finished without a hitch. Though a bit short for a final race, it was well worth the effort.

I spoke with Whitney and Eric, the main folks handling the series from Northstar, and gave them two small suggestions. First is a Clydesdale division for those of us tired of chasing jackrabbits, and an endurance event other than the Leadville qualifier. I sure hope they add both for next year. As for this year, I have yet to check the calendar to see what may be left to ride in, though I'll keep you informed if anything does come up.

Shawn
Alaina's daddy

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Wifey and I decide to go to Mammoth last Wednesday, partly for the 1/2-priced growlers at Mammoth Brewery (I love the Golden Trout flavor), and for me to get in one last ride before the snow flies and ski season opens November 8. After lunch at Giovanni's (probably the best special for $9-- soup or salad and sandwich or personal pizza), we get to the Adventure Center, unload my sorry a$$, and wife goes back to town for shopping. I look over the trail map, and figure I can get to the top going up the Kamikazee. Boy, was I wrong. I needed to take one of the back trails, however, all the signs were taken down, so I was going by memory as to which I was on. I seem to forget that trail is a bit steep, having ridden it down several times and forgetting this small detail. I get about half way, and decide to cross over to McCoy Station using Gravy Train. From there, I don't know which trails I was on, until I get to Downtown and have smooth sailing into town where I meet wife. Besides, I was on a couple sections I had no business being on, both for equipment and ability. We drive back up, go the the pool/jacuzzi for an hour, dinner at Gomez's, and back home. Oh, as we're leaving from the pool, I look to the sky, and see some stringer clouds in the shape of an "X". Alaina had to have been blowing us a kiss as we went to dinner.

Never a bad day at Mammoth. I do have a brief video of my Gravy run, and I'll supply the link from Contour when I get home.....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
So on this clear, chilly, day-off turkey day, I just wanted to give a bit of insight into my 2013 season/plans/sponsor thanks.

THANK YOU!!! to my 2013 sponsors (that have committed so far)--

Banshee/Jon, Clifbar/Dylan, Eric, and George, Crank Bros./Amanda, Hayes/Scott, L.H. Thomson/David, Nature's Bakery/Andrew, ODI/Brandon, Ritchey/Angelo, Royal Racing/AJ, 661/Sean, Trek & Big Daddy's Bikes/Kevin & Keith, Voler/Elaine and Wayne. There are still other companies that I'm waiting to hear from, some new, others past sponsors, and I'll update as time goes on. As for what I'll be riding regarding their gear, I'll just have to see what I'll need to iron out. So many goodies, so little time.

My season is going to be a bit different this year. Since it's a double whammy (my 50th and Alaina's 10th), I want to do a few rides that have been on my bucket list for some time. Those would be two road rides I'm still ironing out the details on, yet they will be very satisfying to finish. As for mountain biking, those events are--

Sea Otter (though I first crossed it off for 2013 due to 2012's van mechanical, now that I have AAA, it may be do-able),
Northstar-at-Tahoe Thursday Night XC MTB Series (Northstar is where my riding for Alaina started, so it's ALWAYS on my list),
Leadville/Northstar qualifier (did it in 2011, and would like to see if I can improve on my time),
Northstar "endurance" event (told me they have one in the planning stages, so if it happens, I'm there),
Downieville xc (an event on almost all bucket lists, did it before, very much want to do it again),
Mammoth (if they have an event, I want to be at it. Alaina loved Mammoth, so it's a must-do for me).

I'll keep you posted as things change/add/improve.....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Affirmed additions to support--

WTB/Mike.

Ok, so I'm still working on a few more. Resume's have been sent, emailed follow-ups, and just being considerate, as I know I'm not the ONLY one asking for support......

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
And now........

Ergon/Jeff.

Have a few more to follow up on, and things are looking really good for 2013.

FYI-- The BIG one I'm trying to secure is a night's stay at the Mammoth Mountain Inn on Alaina's birthday. I already have the reservation (THANK YOU!!!, Darla), and what I'm trying to do is talk to Mary about the night being comped IF I was to ride from home to Mammoth on Alaina's day. It would be about 115 miles, yet it's a bucket-list ride I've been wanting to do.

Please return my call, Mary......

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Just found out that Mammoth Lakes will be hosting an 8hr/24hr event the end of July. I know I can't take the weekend off, however, I do feel a cough coming on that may just free me up to do the 8hr version. I've always felt that if/when there is ANY event in Mammoth, since Alaina loved to visit there, I'm doing it.

So Mammoth, Northstar's Thursday Night series, and Downieville. I think that will be an excellent trifecta. Sure, I'd like to do more, however.........

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Well, scheduling boss-man tells me I won't be able to get the day off for the 8hr event in Mammoth, and since he now knows, no sense playing sick for that day. I don't need any bad karma while riding there.

However, he did say I will be able to ride in the Kamikaze Bike Games, so I've registered for the clydesdale xc event. Granted, I'd like to lose 25lbs so I'm a light clydesdale, however, there's never a bad day riding in Mammoth, so I'm really excited for the event.

Now to see if they'll honor my request for #814................

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
As far as riding goes, I'll be at Sea Otter, riding the xc clydesdale cat 2, Northstar Thursday night xc series (hopefully they won't have those pesky Saturday races I couldn't make due to work), and the Kamikaze Bike Games. I want to do Downieville as well, and maybe an 8hr-ish event, though I'll have to see what my work schedule allows.

And for my already-committed sponsors, they include.....

ClifBar (19 YEARS with these fine folks)
Smith Sport Optics (Alaina picked the glasses out, and I won't wear any others)
Trek/Big Daddy's Bikes (local shop that has supported me for several years now)
Thomson (supported me since my Make-A-Wish fund raising days)
Hayes Bicycle Group (same as Thomson)
WTB (when Mark Weir decided to support Make-A-Wish, well, thanks for continuing)
Royal Racing (these baggie shorts are too cool)
Ritchey (again, another since-Make-A-Wish supporter)

It's difficult to say just how involved I'd still be in cycling if it wasn't for my "why" and these fine folks seeing something other than podium finishes.......