Quantcast

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
alright, so im running short on funds for the next season, with my bike half done (oh noes).

now i have welding equipment at my disposal and plasma cutters, im certified in all position for gtaw.

im looking for something small/easy to make, that i can sell to cyclists. not looking to make a killing, just to make some spare cash for this upcoming season.

i was thinking something along the lines of a stand, something like a triangle stand for mx. just something other then the conventional, if you get what im saying.

i have been thinking about it for a while, but im stumped.

any ideas?

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
If anyone gives you an idea that you use, you should cut them in on the profits.
i wouldnt mind doing that, or even hooking them up with a few of what ever is made. obviously i wouldnt be making thousands of what ever is made, but im looking for something small because i can use scrap from left over sheets of 10 gauge.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I would make an airplane and fly myself out of New Jersey, if it were me.

So we can fore go the "Texas sucks" comments, I'll let you in on a secret. We're full here. I'd fly to Montana.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
its not that cant do that, but its just kind of.. blah. ill have to see what i have to make it out of.
if youre serious about building something and making more money than youd get for that same time working at mcdonalds, you'll have to get some kind of production run going, so letting the materials youve got on hand dictate the design seems a little short sighted unless you have a big stock. plus once you start adding up how much time each piece is going to take along with cost of materials vs how much you'll realistically be able to charge for it you may not find it worth it. price items similar to what you want to build then decide if you can really compete with it on some level be it cost, performance etc.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
you know what could be useful- something like what you just posted, but that is a bit more universal (work with cranks w/o hollow spindle)
It would be like a mini workstand to throw in the truck. It would have to be so you could pedal the cranks, but could be cool and cheaper than a portable park stand.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
if youre serious about building something and making more money than youd get for that same time working at mcdonalds, you'll have to get some kind of production run going, so letting the materials youve got on hand dictate the design seems a little short sighted unless you have a big stock. plus once you start adding up how much time each piece is going to take along with cost of materials vs how much you'll realistically be able to charge for it you may not find it worth it. price items similar to what you want to build then decide if you can really compete with it on some level be it cost, performance etc.
im not looking to make a million dollors, not even thousands, just a few bucks here and there. id rather have fun building something for $7.50 an hour then be cooking fast food for $7.50 an hour. as for materials at hand, i have pretty much anything i can think of on hand, but like i said im not looking to make a killing, its not worth me cutting up a $200 sheet of steel. something to take up some spare time is all i need, i guess.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
you know what could be useful- something like what you just posted, but that is a bit more universal (work with cranks w/o hollow spindle)
It would be like a mini workstand to throw in the truck. It would have to be so you could pedal the cranks, but could be cool and cheaper than a portable park stand.
thats what i was thinking, but the only problem im facing is, even if the opposite side was hollow, it would be very unstable (at least it seems like it would be) once you start pedaling. i gave my dad a list of material to pick up, ill tinker around with it this weekend.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
Burnd!

That crank stand above defeats the purpose. You need to be able to pedal to tune the derailleurs.

Build the ultimate shuttle vehicle and go do some runs.
I believe you can pedal the one in the picture, i have a length of 1/4" round bar waiting for me at home, ill see how it comes out.

How tall do you think it should be to work on every bike? Im thinking 14-15". Let me know your thoughts.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I believe you can pedal the one in the picture, i have a length of 1/4" round bar waiting for me at home, ill see how it comes out.

How tall do you think it should be to work on every bike? Im thinking 14-15". Let me know your thoughts.
not that everybody cares, but wont either the crank hole, or the pipe put wear and tear on eachother, bearings maybe?

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Burnd!

That crank stand above defeats the purpose. You need to be able to pedal to tune the derailleurs.

Build the ultimate shuttle vehicle and go do some runs.
That's the design challenge, if he succeeds in making it pedalable for any bike/cranks, I think it would be a pretty awesome product to throw in the truck.

I've been trying to think of how to do it, and havne't come up with anything. I think spinning the cranks on a bar like that is not ideal... plus the pedal would hit it, anyway.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Odd thread, but I like your approach. Why not ask people to give you some great and profitable ideas, especially when person with the idea will never follow through?

I'd say make any little widget that you as a bicyclist use on a regular basis, even if someone else is already making them, or just use tube stock for household stuff. Some kind of cool bottle opener, bar end caps, trick lock-on clamps, headset spacers, etc., etc. How about chainstay tap handles for everyone with a kegerator? Table lamp made from a downtube? Smoking devices? The list is endless.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
not that everybody cares, but wont either the crank hole, or the pipe put wear and tear on eachother, bearings maybe?
Already thought of, I can get some sort of plastic tube over the metal. Im not sure how much u plan on pedaling, but I don't think it will do much damage its hard anodized on the inside anyway.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
ok, i just looked, i have some 1/4'' and 3/8'' round bar laying around the garage, im going to be busy for the rest of the week, but on saturday im going to give it a shot.

i made a model in sketchup, seems like it will work, and i know the plan was to be able to pedal it, i dont think it will be possible from the drive side, however it will be free from contact with the pedals/ cranks. so pedaling is possible from the non drive side.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
So is it going to stick way out so it misses the non-drive pedal?
its not going to be WAY out. im not really sure how to explain it, but the way it will be bent, it will taper out towards the bottom.

i guess it will be done soon enough, if i do end up having time tomorrow, ill try to work on it, but no promises. haha

4130biker

May 24, 2007
its not going to be WAY out. im not really sure how to explain it, but the way it will be bent, it will taper out towards the bottom.

i guess it will be done soon enough, if i do end up having time tomorrow, ill try to work on it, but no promises. haha
I get ya, sounds good