Quantcast

welding on brakemounts

poekie

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
I'm thinking about having v-brakemounts welded to my Tonic Howie as I'm completely done with disc brakes;

does anyone know how this will effect the frame's strength?

And please don't tell me to run discs as I'm fed up with the rubbing, expensive maintenance and the risk of a ruined session/weekend/entire week when the f.ucker decides to s.hit the bed..

Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
And please don't tell me to run discs as I'm fed up with the rubbing, expensive maintenance and the risk of a ruined session/weekend/entire week when the f.ucker decides to s.hit the bed..
Really, this is like saying "I'm sick of my cell phone dropping calls all the time, I want to go back to using telegraphs." Discs really aren't that hard to work on, I think some janky, welded v-brakes will be a bigger headache in the end.

Does anyone else really have this big of a problem with discs?

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
wont adversely affect the frame if you have someone who knows how to TIG weld, and backpurge the stays that are being welded... I would hit up Tonic Fab to see if they'd do it cheap, their stays look pretty wide.

Brazing might be more expensive and is not necessarily lower heat? Definitely a harder/ more time consuming skill ($) anyway.

BeerMe

Monkey
Apr 18, 2008
FOCO NOCO
I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't ride v-brakes but I am going to tell you that maintenance and the hassle of replacing parts won't dissapear simply because you switch. Brakes are one of those things that get abused and you just have to keep up on them. If you're riding street with discs then try switching to a smaller rotor and maybe cable over hydraulic.
Either way, you'll still have to answer to the brake gods.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
This very reason is why I don't like brakes or ride with brakes. I'm not the kind of rider that likes wrenching on my bike. I want to be able to grab and go, parts have to really start to fail for me to tighten spokes or bolts.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
Really, this is like saying "I'm sick of my cell phone dropping calls all the time, I want to go back to using telegraphs."
this analogy is exxagerated to the point of being ridiculous, and you know it.

Discs really aren't that hard to work on, I think some janky, welded v-brakes will be a bigger headache in the end.
Discs are indeed not that hard to work on, but definitely more hassle than v-brakes, or any rim brake for that matter. Take hs33 for instance, once setup right there is virtually no need for any maintainance at all, except replacing the pads and that's a breeze in comparision to what you have to do on most disc brakes.
It's also much easier to brake someting that is near your axle (also forget about grinds when running discs), than it is to brake something that is like under your seat.
And should you brake it, replacement is way cheaper. And easier.

This is not an advocacy against disc brakes, I'm just telling you why some people do not prefer them.

welshy

Chimp
Jul 28, 2006
richmond,va
wont adversely affect the frame if you have someone who knows how to TIG weld, and backpurge the stays that are being welded... I would hit up Tonic Fab to see if they'd do it cheap, their stays look pretty wide.

Brazing might be more expensive and is not necessarily lower heat? Definitely a harder/ more time consuming skill ($) anyway.
Brazing is waaaaaay easier than tig welding......