Quantcast

Well Designed Web Sites

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
pixelninja said:
You need to appeal to their sense of greed.

Ask them this: Is your goal to entertain people, or is it to sell more jewelery?

Anything that might hinder their visitor's ability to quickly see their products and company info (long download times, need to install plugins, etc) is going to hinder sales through their site.
Thanks, I'll try that. I'm better talking about the tecnhical side than I am about the design side anyways.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Ridemonkey said:
I've always found it's easier to convince the client that option B is better, than to convince them that option A (their option) sucks.

Come up with a better idea, and sell it, and let them discard their idea on their own.
I tried that initially, but they LIKE the flashy stuff. So a site without it looks flat/boring to them.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stinkyboy said:
Fire the client, get drunk and hang out on online forums bitching about what a good designer you are.

Works for me!

na, I can bitch regardless (btw... I'm a good coder, not a good designer)... and I need the money.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Ridemonkey said:
Well, in that case you can explain why flash is the devil for all the reasons mentioned in this thread lol
lol... maybe I'll use RM as an example for some reason and leave this thread open on their computer when I leave.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
jacksonpt said:
I tried that initially, but they LIKE the flashy stuff. So a site without it looks flat/boring to them.
Show them craigslist. Use this as an example of how a "flat/boring" site can be the 5th most popular e-commerce website back July 2005 (http://www.businessweek.com/technology/tech_stats/ecommerce050722.htm) and that it can get over 3 BILLION page views per month (http://www.craigslist.org/about/pr/factsheet.html)

Don't use this as an example of what you'd like their site to look like. Instead, use it to show that when you give your visitors what they want, and not what YOU want, you can have a very successful site, even without a lot of flashy stuff.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
pixelninja said:
Don't use this as an example of what you'd like their site to look like. Instead, use it to show that when you give your visitors what they want, and not what YOU want, you can have a very successful site, even without a lot of flashy stuff.
:nonono:

That's a classifed ads site. He needs to brand a jewelry store.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
stinkyboy said:

And the obvious way to do that is to have the logo animated and have techno music in the BG.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
stinkyboy said:

You are soooooo missing the point. My point was that you don't need a lot of flash if you think about your target audience and design the site to meet their needs/wants.

For a jewelry site, all that's needed is a clean simple layout with easy navigation to 1) product photos/info and 2) contact information. Let people know what you sell and how they can buy it. That's it.

Personal anecdote:

The last time I was in the market for new wheels, someone suggested www.oddsandendos.com. I checked out their site, and although its definitely not the prettiest, Mike has large product photos with really good descriptions with info that bikers would find important, and prominantly displayed contact info. He made it so easy for me to find out what he sells and how to contact him. Once I did, I was hooked by his quality.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
www.bwiggins.com

i just need to rework my buttons to select images a little different.

as far as flash goes, i dig it when it is simple. the one thing you do not want any aspect of your website to do is detract from the entire purpose of the site. always have skip into functions and always have buttons that allow the user to get to any page from any page that are consistantly placed so the user knows where to find them.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
BeerDemon said:
And the obvious way to do that is to have the logo animated and have techno music in the BG.
WTF?!

I just checked out a few Diamond/Jewelry sites and even the "big" sites are very cluttered. You can definitely tell who uses competent agencies and who uses hacks.

Great typography, photography and a site that's designed and not slapped together is what I speak of young man.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
this is a sweet site - great artwork, overall aesthetic, fluid flash work:

www.ampedsnowboarding.com/

keep in mind:
- the target audience
- & that it's designed to be exploratory experience (like the game) with a few easter eggs

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stinkyboy said:
WTF?!

I just checked out a few Diamond/Jewelry sites and even the "big" sites are very cluttered. You can definitely tell who uses competent agencies and who uses hacks.

Great typography, photography and a site that's designed and not slapped together is what I speak of young man.
yea... there are some pretty bad ones out there. I sat down and talked with them for a long time about what they wanted and who their audience would be. Basically, all they want is a product showcase type site... no selling. Their potential audience is HUGE. Some of their bigger clients are older women, but because they are one of the more reputable shops in town, they also sell a lot to younger people, especially younger couples.

I proposed something along these lines... clean, functional, attractive (IMO). It's just a screen shot as I haven't HTMLized it yet. They said it was flat and boring. Perhaps it could be warmed up a bit, but...

They keep going back to this site as an example of what they like/want. The like the glitzy feel and the rotating images from Congress and the drop down menus from Hamilton.

http://www.congressjewelers.com/

http://www.hamiltonjewelers.com/

grrr... remind me again why I do this type of work.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
jacksonpt said:
grrr... remind me again why I do this type of work.
That is exactly it. Creating sites for people is nothing but an exercise in frustration. This is my last year in the biz.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The congress site is absolutely horrible.
The drop down menus on hamilton as slow as molasses.

You could reproduce both without flash however. In fact, the menus would be sweet if you did them in pure CSS (and MUCH faster).

The tiffany website is amazing however, no flash, all business. What is really going to sell his site is professional product images. Lit and shot from the proper angles, in the proper environment, to really show off his products.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Transcend said:
The tiffany website is amazing however, no flash, all business. What is really going to sell his site is professional product images. Lit and shot from the proper angles, in the proper environment, to really show off his products.

:thumb:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
stinkyboy said:
I avoiding intarweb design because of the lack of permanence and every freaking middle manager has to have their fingerprints on every project and eventually you have a pile of crap.

Print design is frustrating too, but once it's printed, it's done.
Work for yourself, and once the product is outta your hands, that's it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
stinkyboy said:
Did that for several years too, and it's nice $$, but too much work.
I'm not finding it too much work for what I make, that's for sure.

I work probably 18 hours a week average, (it spikes obviously during large products, such as now), and I set nice long deadlines. I have long learned not to underestimate timelines.

I just don't take on too much work anymore, I used to, now I pace myself, work my own hours, and make good money.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Transcend said:
Not a super huge fan of the site, but goddamn, that game looks good. May actually make me want to get a 360.
yeah, i'd say you're probably not the intended demo ... the kiddies love it. (the goal was to try to pull off the game on a website ... think it's well done for what it is.) The site also doesn't stand alone... it's paired with the regular comsumer site as well.