Quantcast

well fuck

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I came across some information regarding exposure to Fire Fighting Foam (AFFF) and various diseases in firefighters.

so I googled: Can exposure to Fire Fighting Foam cause Hashimoto's disease(which is what I have and yes I sprayed foam many times over my career) and this is what I got

"Yes, exposure to AFFF firefighting foam can cause Hashimoto's disease. AFFF contains perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), which are toxic chemicals that can disrupt the thyroid hormone system and cause thyroid disease. Other thyroid diseases that may be caused by AFFF exposure include: Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, and Grave's disease "

now I find that there are multiple class action lawsuits going on. Trying to decide if I should join and if so which one to join

a2006_0912001.jpga2006_0912003.jpga2006_0912004.jpg

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's messed up. We used it in the Navy, but I was only in one real fire where it was used, not prolonged exposure. I say sign up for them all, strength in numbers and stuff.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Exposure to PFAS from AFFF use can irreversibly disrupt thyroid function in firefighters

Thyroid hormones play a crucial role in metabolism regulation, and thyroid function is related to fertility, cardiovascular disease, and fetal neurodevelopment. Some of the causes of thyroid function disruption are chronic inflammation of the gland, iodine deficiency, having a medical condition that makes you prone to it, such as rheumatoid arthritis, and a family history of thyroid disease. There are four types of thyroid disease that might deem you eligible for compensation:

• hypothyroidism
  • hyperthyroidism
  • Grave's disease
  • Hashimoto's disease
Furthermore, there are certain medical conditions that increase the risk of thyroid disease, including rheumatoid arthritis, nodules, Turner syndrome, lupus, iodine deficiency, and Sjögren’s syndrome. However, recent medical studies found that it can also result from PFAS exposure, and firefighters who use the fire suppressant AFFF regularly are at high risk for thyroid disease.

How PFAS exposure from AFFF causes thyroid disease
According to a recent article from the medical journal Frontiers in Endocrinology, in vitro, epidemiological studies, and ex vivo data suggest that PFAS may disrupt the thyroid hormone system with possible negative effects on pregnancy outcomes and fetal development. Still, data on the thyroid-disrupting impact of these chemicals remain controversial, and so does their impact on human health during various stages of life. PFAS can have multiple detrimental effects on the endocrine function, including the thyroid function, such as:

• they are endocrine disruptors, and any step in the biosynthesis and secretion of thyroid hormones might be affected by PFAS exposure
  • the accumulation of PFOA and PFOS was documented in thyroid cells, and a cytotoxic effect was noted following exposure to extremely high concentrations
  • PFOS and PFOA inhibit the activity of thyroperoxidase – the enzyme involved in thyroid hormone synthesis, catalyzing the oxidation of iodide – in tumor thyroid cells lines
  • short-chain PFAS had no cytotoxic impact on rat thyroid cells and did not interfere with thyroid-stimulating hormone production, yet long-chain PFAS had this impact
Exposure to PFOA, a chemical belonging to the long-chain PFAS category, had been associated with thyroid dysfunctions before the emergence of PFOS, which belongs to the short-chain PFAS category. Still, long-chain PFAS continue to be manufactured by companies that did not agree to ban these hazardous substances, so exposure remains among firefighters because both categories of PFAS are present in AFFF.

Studies conducted before 2017 on the interference of PFAS with thyroid function in humans mostly found a higher occurrence of hypothyroidism due to exposure to PFOA both in the general population and in exposed communities. In 2018, researchers studying the Korean adult general population found a positive correlation between PFAS and abnormal thyroid hormone levels, confirming the results of the previous studies.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
29 years of documented fire service for the forest service
23 years of documented fire service in structure
8 years of documented fire service in the military

Was diagnosed in 2009, a biopsy confirmed, parathyroid surgery removed, been on drugs to regulate blood pressure since then, lawsuits started in 2010, but still zero progress, I doubt there ever be a conclusion. Not sure it is worth the time and effort at this point 14 years later with no end in sight

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
29 years of documented fire service for the forest service
23 years of documented fire service in structure
8 years of documented fire service in the military

Was diagnosed in 2009, a biopsy confirmed, parathyroid surgery removed, been on drugs to regulate blood pressure since then, lawsuits started in 2010, but still zero progress, I doubt there ever be a conclusion. Not sure it is worth the time and effort at this point 14 years later with no end in sight
yeah and we would probably still do it knowing. Still sucks though