Quantcast

Well, I got hit by a car on my way home...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Damn Josh, you've got some sh!tty luck...heal up, dood!

I'm lucky I made it out of there with only a few scrapes and bruises from cars while messing.

qwik

Chimp
Jul 27, 2008
Metro Boston
Sorry guys, don't meant to step on this thread, but, do want to agree that street riding is getting scary.
Case in point: August, '08, I was run over by 87 year old handicapped dude while soloing on my carbon road wonder. Eight months out-of-work, three operations later, I discover Ridemonkey, started mtn biking and now loving it. My new road bike sits, tires flat. You guys had it right all along.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Sorry guys, don't meant to step on this thread, but, do want to agree that street riding is getting scary.
Case in point: August, '08, I was run over by 87 year old handicapped dude while soloing on my carbon road wonder. Eight months out-of-work, three operations later, I discover Ridemonkey, started mtn biking and now loving it. My new road bike sits, tires flat. You guys had it right all along.
please send neglected road bike to me so i can free up some garage space for you. i'll even pay shipping.

<3,

me

-----

Josh, was this on Soquel by WF and the Trip?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks everyone.

Nate, yeah it was on Soquel where the guy tried to turn into me/Cayuga Rd. Right down the street from the Rio.

My bike is a little messed up. I am going to have a bike shop go over it with a fine tooth comb to find anything that could have been damaged in the crash. The real obvious things are my Italia seat, my quick release skewer, bar tape, and rear wheel.

Funny enough, my new commuter bike I ordered last week showed up from FedEx the next day. I just finished building it this am. Its pretty BA.

Update on my knee, bruising is starting to show on the inside of my knee. Its a bit swollen too. VERY unstable feeling even with the immobilizer brace on.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If you need to have surgery, they need to comp for lost work time and loss of use, if your knee is not 100%, just an fyi.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Heal up well and take care of the knee.

I by no means want to kick you while you are down, but by your description of the accident, you weren't riding as defensively as you need to on the road. The accident was in no way your fault, but having had the right of way doesn't help fix your knee. If you are on the road (this goes for driving too) and in a situation where you will be exposed to danger if another driver is not paying attention or makes a mistake, then you need to change the situation completely & proactively or have a bail out plan.

Completely change the situation: option 1 - stop and let the moron turn left. option 2 - go around him on his right side. option 3 - punch it so you clear the intersection before he can get near you. option 4 - whistle, holler or do something to get his attention.

Again, you were the victim in this accident, but personally, I would rather avoid being the victim by anticipating azshole moves like this from drivers. I have no ideas of the details of your accident, maybe none of the options above were possible. All I want to say is: Never assume that a driver is going to see you or respect your rights.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Huh, I read that as TH was already almost past the guy, since the car hit his rear wheel. I'd agree with you (up to a point) if Josh had T-Boned the guy, but coming to a screeching halt when the driver hasn't actually moved doesn't sound that smart to me.

I've started treating red lights like stop signs out here since people are such idiots when driving. Light turns green, look right, look left, proceed. And yes, that's on a bike *and* in a car...

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Healing vibes your way. I've been half expecting a collision every time I go out on my bike. The retards here can't seem to negotiate 4-way stop sign intersections.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california

I by no means want to kick you while you are down, but by your description of the accident, you weren't riding as defensively as you need to on the road. The accident was in no way your fault, but having had the right of way doesn't help fix your knee. If you are on the road (this goes for driving too) and in a situation where you will be exposed to danger if another driver is not paying attention or makes a mistake, then you need to change the situation completely & proactively or have a bail out plan.

Completely change the situation: option 1 - stop and let the moron turn left. option 2 - go around him on his right side. option 3 - punch it so you clear the intersection before he can get near you. option 4 - whistle, holler or do something to get his attention.

Again, you were the victim in this accident, but personally, I would rather avoid being the victim by anticipating azshole moves like this from drivers. I have no ideas of the details of your accident, maybe none of the options above were possible. All I want to say is: Never assume that a driver is going to see you or respect your rights.
I ride like an aggressive cunt in traffic. I put down a sh!tton more mileage in generally hairier situations than the people I know getting hit. Must be the messenger in me, but it's kept me alive. I've been hit with injury only once. There's something to be said for perceiving driver actions and making yourself known in traffic (which acting aggro generally does quite well). I know far too many cyclists who are timid bitches on the road, not saying you're one of them, Josh...Never road ridden with you :p

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA

Just a little background for you.

I have been struck by a car before and nicked my femoral vein in my left thigh. Almost died on my way to work in November last year.

I am one of the most defensive riders out on the road. Always wear my helmet and I ALWAYS am watching whats going on around me. I have avoided dozens of accidents because of careless/bad drivers. I am on it.

This accident was not avoidable on my part.

I saw the driver looking down the road he wanted to drive down (not ahead at oncoming traffic and myself). His car was stopped, showing no signs that he was going to bolt across oncoming traffic into me. His car was not inching up or anything. Just stopped.

I take that as the all clear because any idiot would look at oncoming traffic before attempting to cross it. That apparently wasn't the case today.

The driver struck ME on my left side as I was almost through the right lane on the road he was turning onto. His car hit my rear wheel, leg, and rear triangle tossing me almost into the front of a 4Runner at the stop sign wanting to turn onto the road I was traveling on.

I was going the speed of traffic (about 20-25mph) when I was hit.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
This accident was not avoidable on my part.

I saw the driver looking down the road he wanted to drive down (not ahead at oncoming traffic and myself). His car was stopped, showing no signs that he was going to bolt across oncoming traffic into me. His car was not inching up or anything. Just stopped.

I take that as the all clear because any idiot would look at oncoming traffic before attempting to cross it. That apparently wasn't the case today.
I don't mean to pick on you Josh, and I am truely glad you are OK!!

BUT...

He was not looking at you or in your direction at all, so there was no way he could see you or know you were there (ie, to him, you were NOT THERE)....

You took this somehow as an acknowledgement that he was not going to turn???

This is NOT defensive, or 'street smart' riding. Now, certainly this was 100% his fault, but you have to ask yourself (after two car/bike incidents within a year...) if you could make some safer decisions out on the road (rather than getting defensive about you being 'right' and the driver being 'wrong'). People who do not ride bikes DO NOT SEE BIKES, Any driver that does not make eye contact with you does not see you and WILL run you over if you give them the chance!!!

People in general are about as intelligent and observant as box of rocks...if you continue to ride around cars and make the assumption that people (talking on the phone, putting on makeup, reading, shaving, feeding their baby, getting/giving head, etc) both see you, and are going to make the decision that you want them to... you are going to get killed!

Sorry for the harsh words, but you HAVE TO assume the worst possible actions at all times when dealing with a situtaion like this (huge car vs tiny bike) and the seriousness of the possible outcome (someone dead)...(from someone with 30+ years of bike and moto riding on the streets).

Heal up, and be safe!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
one: he is in Santa Cruz, home to retarded hippies and yuppies

two: see number one

strained MCL = minor tear have his insurance pay to get you to one of the better sports orthos in santa cruz for an MRI
How dare you insult Santa Cruzians? They are brilliant!

EasyE

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
Fremont,CA
Holy smokes Batman!!! That was incredible.Thank you for that.....I shall now forward that to everyone I know to show them how us on the "new West Coast" got all the answers.
Just when you think mankind cannot get any dumber you get blown away by something like this.

P.S.. The food is free so we should just sell it at the farmers market.........

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
To hell with that, get one of these get-ups:

*dammit, can't find the matching pants. one of my colleague has them.

Nov 7, 2008
your gonna look like a dork in the vest.

hopefully a dork that doesn't get hit by cars anymore.

get well dude!

btw, found you some new riding gear:

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Just got some results back from my doc and the MRI.

I sprained my MCL for sure and have some bone bruising. Everything will heal with time and physical therapy.

I am SO pumped.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I don't mean to pick on you Josh, and I am truly glad you are OK!!

BUT...

He was not looking at you or in your direction at all, so there was no way he could see you or know you were there (ie, to him, you were NOT THERE)....

You took this somehow as an acknowledgment that he was not going to turn???

This is NOT defensive, or 'street smart' riding. Now, certainly this was 100% his fault, but you have to ask yourself (after two car/bike incidents within a year...) if you could make some safer decisions out on the road (rather than getting defensive about you being 'right' and the driver being 'wrong'). People who do not ride bikes DO NOT SEE BIKES, Any driver that does not make eye contact with you does not see you and WILL run you over if you give them the chance!!!

People in general are about as intelligent and observant as box of rocks...if you continue to ride around cars and make the assumption that people (talking on the phone, putting on makeup, reading, shaving, feeding their baby, getting/giving head, etc) both see you, and are going to make the decision that you want them to... you are going to get killed!

Sorry for the harsh words, but you HAVE TO assume the worst possible actions at all times when dealing with a situation like this (huge car vs tiny bike) and the seriousness of the possible outcome (someone dead)...(from someone with 30+ years of bike and moto riding on the streets).

Heal up, and be safe!
+1

I made the same mistake when I got hit. I always make sure to make eye contact with the driver of a car I intend to get in front of. That one time, I just assumed he saw me.

Yeah, no more. If I can't make eye contact, I will not get in front of them. Don't need a repeat of what happened.

Stay safe and glad to hear that you don't need surgery!! :weee: