Quantcast

Well I guess we are a little better prepared for these kinds of things afterall..

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
A passenger claimed to have a bomb reports say...

Source: Shots Fired Aboard Plane in Miami
AP | Dec 07 2:51 PM US/Eastern

MIAMI - Shots were fired Wednesday from a federal air marshal's gun on board an American Airlines jet that had landed at Miami International Airport, an official said. At least one person was wounded, according to broadcast reports. A law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity confirmed shots were fired from the marshal's gun.

The plane had just arrived from Colombia and was headed to Orlando, the broadcast reports said. Television images showed police SWAT officers surrounding the plane.

Airport and Miami-Dade County police officials said they had no immediate comment. American Airlines officials had no immediate comment.

___

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It said "at least one person was wounded..." It didn't say why he shot either, could have been anything. I hope it was for a good reason, but based on that overly informative story, you never know.

Andy_B

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
whereabouts unknown
N8 said:
Some dude is dead.... shot by an air marshall.
not dead... My guess is Wounded

Shots fired outside American jet

By JOHN PAIN

The Associated Press

MIAMI - A passenger who claimed to have a bomb in a carry-on bag was shot by a federal air marshal Wednesday on a jetway connected to an American Airlines plane that had arrived from Colombia, officials said.

The passenger's condition was not immediately disclosed. A witness said the man frantically ran down the aisle and a woman with him said he was mentally ill.

Homeland Security Department spokesman Brian Doyle said that, after the plane had parked at the gate, a passenger indicated there was a bomb in the bag. The passenger was confronted by air marshals but ran off the plane, Doyle said.

A team of air marshals pursued and ordered the passenger to get on the ground. The passenger did not comply and was shot when apparently reaching into the bag, Doyle said.

Passenger Mary Gardner told WTVJ in Miami that the man ran down the aisle from the rear of the plane.

"He was frantic, his arms flailing in the air," she said. She said a woman followed, shouting, "My husband! My husband!"

Gardner said she heard the woman say her husband was bipolar and had not had his medication.

The plane, Flight 924, had just arrived from Medellin, Colombia, and was headed on to Orlando.

Airport and Miami-Dade County police officials said they had no immediate comment. Officials at Fort Worth-based American Airlines confirmed that the shooting was on a jetway.

"All I know is that it was on the jet bridge, outside the aircraft," American spokesman Tim Wagner said. "I don't know yet if the passenger had been on the plane and was getting off, or was starting to board the aircraft."

Flight 924 arrived at Miami airport at 11:16 a.m. CST and was scheduled to depart at 1:18 p.m., Wagner said. He said the shooting happened shortly after 1 p.m., suggesting that passengers may have already been preparing to depart for Orlando.

Martin Gonzalez, spokesman for Colombia's civil aviation agency, said the flight "left normally with no problems."

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
well in exactly 2 weeks from now ill be in Jamaica for my sisters wedding so im not worried about anything

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
so, uhh, if there's no evidence other than a guy yelling, "I have a bomb" and that warrants shooting him, then the marshall is not confident in the baggage screening process at all. If that's the case, then why am I delayed an hour at the airport if the system is so flawed?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
LordOpie said:
so, uhh, if there's no evidence other than a guy yelling, "I have a bomb" and that warrants shooting him, then the marshall is not confident in the baggage screening process at all. If that's the case, then why am I delayed an hour at the airport if the system is so flawed?

My newly found liberal inner-self wants to blame Bush for it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Transcend said:
Only he wasn't a bomber, he was a mentally unstable american citizen, travelling with his wife. Also - it has been verified that he had no bomb.
Well, Congress was looking to cut out the Marshall program, so here's their ammunition.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Transcend said:
Only he wasn't a bomber, he was a mentally unstable american citizen, travelling with his wife. Also - it has been verified that he had no bomb.

He said he had a bomb would not comply with police orders and reached into the bag where the bomb was. He was shot and killed and rightfully so. Are air marshals supposed to ask if someone is mentally ill before shooting?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
LordOpie said:
Well, Congress was looking to cut out the Marshall program, so here's their ammunition.
I think the marshall system has merit, but I believe that they must show a little bit of restraint. In this case it is hard to tell what the situation was as of yet.

If he boarded in Medellin - I can understand possible lack of confidence in the baggage screening that took place.

But if he was clearly unstable, and not a terrorist (he was flying with his wife) things will start to get touchy.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Transcend said:
But if he was clearly unstable, and not a terrorist (he was flying with his wife) things will start to get touchy.
People who are clearly unstable are perfectly capable of possessing bombs. And traveling with wives.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Hawkeye said:
He said he had a bomb would not comply with police orders and reached into the bag where the bomb was. He was shot and killed and rightfully so. Are air marshals supposed to ask if someone is mentally ill before shooting?
They just spent a few hours on a plane with him from medillin. This is a long flight, if he was unbalanced, they should have known. If it turns out he was acting like a nutter all the way from Columbia, it's going to hit the fan.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Echo said:
People who are clearly unstable are perfectly capable of possessing bombs. And traveling with wives.
Oh I completely agree, just playing devil's advocate. I am all for shooting nitwits who say they have a bomb on a flight.

Especially if they boarded in a place like Medellin where security may be easily surpassed, paid off etc.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hawkeye said:
Yep, he said he had a bomb, ignored the marshalls and then reached into the bag, only one shot was fired, and that was all that was needed. Good job.
You can't win in this situation, if he would pushed a button and blew up 100 people, they would say the marshall could have shot him but didn't.
Maybe we can make mentally unstable people wear bright t-shirts in airports that say:
I do not really have a bomb, no matter what my crazy azz yells out.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Transcend said:
3 shots fired, all hit subject. At least they aren't LAPD officers.
Sorry, early media reports are always wrong.
I read where one shot was fired.
When it all comes out it will probaly be some dude said,
"These cheetos are the bomb, and reached into the bag for another and was gunned down."

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Jeremy R said:
Sorry, early media reports are always wrong.
I read where one shot was fired.
When it all comes out it will probaly be some dude said,
"These cheetos are the bomb, and reached into the bag for another and was gunned down."
Ya, breaking stories are always fluid. I know 2 air marshalls personally (one was prison service, one was us marshall), they are well trained, dedicated and truly think they can make a difference.

The only thing is when things start to go south, you never really can tell how someone will react. If someone boarded in chicago, and said they had a bomb on a plane on the tarmac in their carryon - would think twice about shooting. It's hard enough to get nail clippers on let alone explosives.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
This is like that incident on the London subway.

Everyone will piss and moan and the officer will get a ration of s**t for pulling the trigger. The fact is, he had no way of knowing whether or not that guy had a bomb in his bag, and it's a lot worse to shoot some nutcase screaming he has a bomb than to not shoot him and end up with a plane full of people dead.

Everyone who complains that the officer took action and ended up killing him would be lining up to lick his nutsack if the guy really did have a bomb.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Transcend said:
They just spent a few hours on a plane with him from medillin. This is a long flight, if he was unbalanced, they should have known. If it turns out he was acting like a nutter all the way from Columbia, it's going to hit the fan.

It really sounds to me like they had a layover in Miami and had to switch planes. So these Marshals may not have been the ones who were on the plane with him.

I just don't see how the Marshall did something wrong here. I doubt they are trained to believe that the screening is airtight. If it was they would have no job.

Crazy or not (which just may be a wife saying that to get the lawsuit in order) the guy should no better. After all he was married and lead a life that allowed him to travel out of the country. Getting onto a plane and saying you have a bomb then not listening to police orders and reaching into your bag is bound to get your ass killed.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Hawkeye said:
It really sounds to me like they had a layover in Miami and had to switch planes. So these Marshals may not have been the ones who were on the plane with him.

I just don't see how the Marshall did something wrong here. I doubt they are trained to believe that the screening is airtight. If it was they would have no job.

Crazy or not (which just may be a wife saying that to get the lawsuit in order) the guy should no better. After all he was married and lead a life that allowed him to travel out of the country. Getting onto a plane and saying you have a bomb then not listening to police orders and reaching into your bag is bound to get your ass killed.
They were, this is how the marshall service works. They fly from one end to the other, on selected flights.

Being a retard and saying you have a bomb, is not a bright move in any case. Nor is ignoring direct orders from an armed air marshall.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
binary visions said:
This is like that incident on the London subway.
Exactly, It is such a black and white descision (in a world where things are rarely black or white). Kill the threating person, innocent or not or have the guy potentially kill a whole bunch of people.

It's like a James Bond movie only with the rolls reversed. We all know the bad guy always captures Bond but never kills him right away. Bond always escapes and kills the bad guy at the end. It's very predictable. I always get mad and think if the bad guy would just up and kill Bond he could go on with his diabolical scheme. Stupid bad guy!

I reckon the air marshals and police in London figured it out. Kill the dude first. Then figure it out.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
wait, isnt bipolar manic depressive? then why would the person be delusional if they are bipolar? sounds like it may have been suicide by proxy like someone stated above. and i dont blame the marshall at all, a man claimed to have a bomb, would not comply with the marshalls, and then took off which would make anyone think that they weren't lying.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
Transcend said:
They were, this is how the marshall service works. They fly from one end to the other, on selected flights.

Being a retard and saying you have a bomb, is not a bright move in any case. Nor is ignoring direct orders from an armed air marshall.
Well said.

I guess it's shoot the loony, release the bomber:

December 08, WABC (NY) —

Questions surround alleged New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport shoe bomb incident. There are serious security questions at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport after an Egyptian man was stopped Friday, December 2, because preliminary tests showed his shoes contained an explosive material. Law enforcement sources are calling it a major breakdown in protocol. An Egyptian man whose sneakers tested positive for explosives, was detained by Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officials, but allowed to board another flight while his shoes were sent to a lab for further examination. According to an internal document obtained by WABC Eyewitness News, TSA maintained custody of the shoes and released the passenger as per the direction of the TSA operations manager. The man, who claimed to be a student at the University of Iowa, was re&#8722;booked on another flight. A spokesman for the university told Eyewitness News they have no record of him being enrolled there. The FBI says the incident created an atmosphere of tension, which prompted an alert of a potential shoe bomber on the loose.

FBI release: http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel05/egytiandetention120805.htm

Source: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=3708084