Quantcast

well I'll be dam'd... (Amsterdam!!!!!!!.)

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
So, my spring break is in a couple weeks and my girlfriend loves me a whole lot and is springing for a trip to Amsterdam March 13th-March17th. I've never been outside of North America and I'm trying to find a nice spot to stay at and could use some help from you monkies! Keep in mind I know nothing...
- I need a spot to stay at... I'll be going to a Dark Star Orchestra show at the The Melkweg so to be close would be nice. I'm not looking for something cheap nor crazy expensive but I'm okay with dropping some cash to be comfy. Just nice/clean/and big comfortable beds which I guess is rare in Europe. Maybe y'all know some place with a balcony...
- Any suggestions on what to do? Besides the heiniken tour, museums, and anne frank house. We are already planning on doing the bike tour, duh.
- Good food suggestions?

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
I was there a while ago (I was only 13-14 at the time), but I can remember there being a distinct difference between the "touristy" area and the darker area of Amsterdam. There are always just ridiculous and belligerent people there- this is prob why many of the shop owners are on edge, they have to deal with so many jackasses. Just try to eat in the more populated areas, the "bigger name" hotels are usually nicer, and try to avoid some of the dark alleys at night.

This is all common sense though. It's an awesome city.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
I'd prefer not to do the touristy thing. I'd also rather go to the more unusual/local restaurant than the more populated one. I'd really prefer not to stay in some big corporate hotel. I like local...

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
I'd prefer not to do the touristy thing. I'd also rather go to the more unusual/local restaurant than the more populated one. I'd really prefer not to stay in some big corporate hotel. I like local...
OK, not sure what you are looking for. There are plenty of nice local small hotels, just be careful what you pick. Read up on reviews of some smaller ones.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
I'm looking for some specific suggestions on where to stay that is located near the The Melkweg. If you read my first post you would know that. Also, I'm not interested in hearing bs like I was there when I was 13 years old and don't have anything to contribute.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I've been twice, and TN has been once. I'll tell him to drop you a line. I am horrible with details. It is frickin' awesome. In march you may not get too much use out of a balcony. Depending on how much coin you want to drop there are great websites that rent out house boats and whole apartments. some are pretty good deals. We've got a list of coffee houses you should definitely check out, and a pancake place that is to ****ing die for.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Dampkring was our favorite if I remember right. It's crowded. I think they shot part of ocean's 12 in it (and have a bud by the same name that is killer) but they have a great selection and awesome toasties. I am super fond of the gray area, it's owned by an american who is a super nice guy, although he was out of town last time we were there which I was bummed about. Right down the street from the gray area is this most awesome chocolate shop. Now we went 3-4 years ago so some of this stuff might have changed but I'm sure most of it hasn't. I'll get the name of the pancake place for you, it boasts the steepest stairs in the city.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I was there back in college for my spring break, too. But we kinda slummed it at hostels. So if you're looking for a good hostel, The Flying Pig was pretty good.

I recommend figuring out the cable cars for your transportation. Europe is awesome for reliable, cheap and easy transportation.

We went in March and it was pretty cold and overcast the entire time.

As for other things to do/see:

The Red Light District (seriously!! You have to see it at night, too)
I know you said besides museums, but what about these museums?

Hemp Museum
Sex Museum
Tattoo Museum
Torture Museum (I think?)

All very interesting

You did buy a travel book didn't you? I highly recommend them. But I'm also a nerd ;-)

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
I was there back in college for my spring break, too. But we kinda slummed it at hostels. So if you're looking for a good hostel, The Flying Pig was pretty good.

I recommend figuring out the cable cars for your transportation. Europe is awesome for reliable, cheap and easy transportation.

We went in March and it was pretty cold and overcast the entire time.

As for other things to do/see:

The Red Light District (seriously!! You have to see it at night, too)
I know you said besides museums, but what about these museums?

Hemp Museum
Sex Museum
Tattoo Museum
Torture Museum (I think?)

All very interesting

You did buy a travel book didn't you? I highly recommend them. But I'm also a nerd ;-)
Never been, but I heard a report on the radio yesterday about a few protests and things in the red light district. The city is shutting down some of the live sex theaters because the bring the possibilty of illegal activities such as mob dealings etc. The locals are upset (funny piece interviewing an elderly woman who was practically up in arms). Would definately be worth checking all the hoopla out.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I got a long way in Europe by trying to learn at least enough of the local language to be polite, please, thank you etc. Even if I butchered the pronunciation (which I often did) it was a great ice breaker. They felt "hey at least he tried!" It took some of the edge off "Ugly American". Nowadays I'd probably wear a ball cap with a Canadian flag on it and deny being an American.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I'm looking for some specific suggestions on where to stay that is located near the The Melkweg. If you read my first post you would know that. Also, I'm not interested in hearing bs like I was there when I was 13 years old and don't have anything to contribute.
I'd say sort it out for yourself then.

Folks letting you know what the city is like and you turn all agro.

I love the city, but buggered if I'd help you.

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
I definitely second the apartment suggestion... It works out being not much more than a hostel and you have your own place to enjoy the finer things of the city. You actually save money by being able to hit a market, cook a couple meals and not have to pay to sit in coffee shops while you light up. We stayed at the bulldog(famous.touristy.energydrinkhawkin.) coffee shop's new apartments. They are ideally located.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
If you dont want to go do the whole tourist thing you might need some help from the inside.
Amsterdam is fukkin huge and finding stuff all by yourself can be tricky.
I have a friend in Amsterdam who posts here occaisionally, ill show him this thread when hes online...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Pretty expensive joint Amsterdam and with the euro so strong be prepared for some wallet abuse. I stayed at a place called the Crown Hotel for 40 euro a night, private room, shared bathroom, owners were wankers but it was OK. For a more traditional hotel room I reckon you'd be starting at 80 euro minimum.
I recommend the Gray Area too like Laura said, the pot there was the best but you're not going to be disappointed wherever you go.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Dampkring was our favorite if I remember right. It's crowded. I think they shot part of ocean's 12 in it (and have a bud by the same name that is killer) but they have a great selection and awesome toasties.

Not my favorite by any means....but cool none the less. Great New York City Diesel & great hasj. My fav was Amnesia (on the same block as Grey Area just around the corner). They had volcanos for use, great dub & hip-hop on the sound system & hot chocolate that rocked.

The Grey Area is nice with killer smoke as well, but not the greatest place to chill...it is tiny.

Go to Chocolate (not the right spelling but close) for edibles, but watch out for the bike lanes & the trams after eating your space cake. :) It is near Barneys which is a great spot too. Go there for wake n bake & a traditional English breakfast...mmmmm...beans. :drool:

We stayed in the Ramada near Vondel park for $85 USD a night. It was nice, not big but you will only be sleeping there I hope.

You MUST go to an Indonesian restaurant & get a rijstafel (sp?). It is a meal fit for a king with a huge spread of a little bit of everything Indonesian style. I am not sure of the name of the place we went but there are a ton of Indo places...just ask a local.

Another tip....learn a little bit of Dutch. Just the basics like Hallo, Dank u wel (thank you), & other common phrases. You don't NEED it but the locals will give you a little more respect. Plus I see it as common to at least make an attempt to speak the language.

I will prolly PM you more info if you wish with some good links (I am at work now, so.... :rolleyes: )

Oh & buy a Stripenkaart (sp? once again) for the trams or a weekly pass. It is a good deal & will save you some cheese.

Have fun Kill-ah!

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
^ what VB said about the $ vs the euro.

Oh & avoid the Bulldog chain if you want to stay away from the tourists spots.

Here is a teaser....

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
Damn, I'm getting excited!
Everyone with helpful info including TN thank you! I probably came off rude but I was only being honest.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
FYI....You won't find any big comfy beds. I think the norm is for a double you get two twins pushed together.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
nice, I'll kick my girl to the floor!
I was looking through your old photos and narlus' and I'm getting excited about the outdoor urinals.
Looking at that menu will only make the time go sloooower...

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
I got a long way in Europe by trying to learn at least enough of the local language to be polite, please, thank you etc. Even if I butchered the pronunciation (which I often did) it was a great ice breaker. They felt "hey at least he tried!" It took some of the edge off "Ugly American". Nowadays I'd probably wear a ball cap with a Canadian flag on it and deny being an American.
hey we do not hate americans, we just love to make fun of your president.
and seriously the americans who travel have an open mind (most of them) and thats a good thing. :)

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
hey we do not hate americans, we just love to make fun of your president.
and seriously the americans who travel have an open mind (most of them) and thats a good thing. :)
Don't worry, we don't like him either. I was just in munich and dresden about 2 weeks ago.

The scariest fact is that ~25% of the US population has a passport and only a small fraction of them actually use it.

Jedoch, ich reise nach Deutschland oft. Sie haben das beste Bier in der Welt.

I can hold my own speaking german, but only if you put me up against a 3 year old.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
the euro is kicking the greenback's ass but i thought that amsterdam was one of the cheaper western euro cities i'd been too...definitely cheaper than most.
It's no London but I didn't find the prices that good, maybe I was just too cheap.:busted:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
cities pricier than amsterdam

dublin
london
zurich
paris
rome
stockholm
helsinki
copenhagen

about the only places i've been to that were cheaper were prague, berlin, and the boonies of spain.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
cities pricier than amsterdam

dublin
london
zurich
paris
rome
stockholm
helsinki
copenhagen

about the only places i've been to that were cheaper were prague, berlin, and the boonies of spain.
I guess this proves it then. I'm cheap....or you're rich.;)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
you gotta remember that most of those cities i visited either on business trips or when we lived in ireland, and airfare was cheap.

i'm no brian hcm you know.

Don Diablo

Chimp
Jan 18, 2005
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I've been living in Amsterdam for.. 5 years now I guess and you have to promise me one thing: do NOT come here just to get hiiiigh 24/7 and visit the red ligth district.
There is so much more to do and see here. Museums, **** load of local bars and clubs where hardly any tourists come.
Most tourist stay in the old center, near dam square, central station, Rembrandt- en Leidsche square. Cool for shopping, smoking and getting you wallet stolen. Oe what IS a great touristy attraction is taking a boat triptrough tha canals. And if you're lucky that it's warm and sunny... get some beers, food and a frisbee and hang out in a park. Vondelpark is my favorite.
Bottom line is, Amsterdam is great city and I'll be more than happy to give you tips for a cool trip!