Quantcast

Well I'm not sure why I'm telling you jerks this....

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
We got the official word the other day that my older daughter Emily is autistic.

Now we're far from talking "Rain Man" levels. We've been told that she's actually quite gifted in a couple of ways. She's 5 and reads at a grade 2 level...."Hyperlexia" is another thing she sort of has.....and honestly, she actually sounds closer to that than true autism. But the lines between the Autism Specturm Disorders are pretty blurry.

She laughs and engages and plays with others. She will obsess a little over stuff. But not too badly. But she can be easily frustrated.

She takes great care of her little sister. She really patient with Gracie....she will teach her how to do stuff....it's really quite sweet.

But she has trouble communicating. Especially with the concepts of "why"? ....when where who....she's improved a lot with that lately, but that was giving her trouble as well.

She will repeat things out of context, or mix pronouns around. She'll tell you what she wants YOU to say. ie: She'd say to me, "You did a great job Emily"...then I have to repeat it back.

But she can tell me what videos we watched on the flight home from Seattle two years ago. IT's amazing really.

Soooooooooall this to say, it's not going to be easy. But fortunately she's brilliant (not saying that from a father's point of view...this is from the numerous evaluations she's had over the past 6 months or so). We'll just have to cater her education to the way she learns. Because hoo-boy, once she learns, BOY does she learn.

But I hereby decree, that all future ridemonkey fundraising activities shall henceforth go to benefit autism.

So there.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wow, sounds like quite the challenge for sure. But as long as she has a happy learning experience, I think that's half the battle, with any kid really.

Good luck to the family, MMike.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Thanks....

Actually this is pretty hilarious. She can work a DVD player flawlessly. She seems to really dig watching her movies in French. So she can navigate though the menus to change the language....much to the dismay of her little sister.

But yesterday, I here music (that I have on my blackberry) coming from their little play tent. I go to investigate and she's got my blackberry. She'd figured out have to navigate to the music menu and was playing the songs I have stored on it. She'd never used it before.

She's also really good with computers. She can amuse herself on youtube for ages.

It's quite amazing.....

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I have a chick I used to hang out with and her son was Autistic. The research I did showed that they have made medical strides recently that may help her condition.

She's a cutie.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Thanks....

Actually this is pretty hilarious. She can work a DVD player flawlessly. She seems to really dig watching her movies in French. So she can navigate though the menus to change the language....much to the dismay of her little sister.

But yesterday, I here music (that I have on my blackberry) coming from their little play tent. I go to investigate and she's got my blackberry. She'd figured out have to navigate to the music menu and was playing the songs I have stored on it. She'd never used it before.

She's also really good with computers. She can amuse herself on youtube for ages.

It's quite amazing.....
She'll be a tech geek. Train her well!
Best of luck.
I can totally envision your daughter becoming a scientist at JPL or something. You're gonna be an EVEN PROUDER daddy in the next 15 years.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
good luck, mmike. let me know if you want me to search through the medical literature if you have questions about possible snake oil treatments.

/me was thought to be retarded initially by his parents, fwiw

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
good luck with your daughter

do what every good dad does, focus on the positive things without ignoring the problems and you'll be the golden dad :)

you can do it :)

ah and dont forget about your other kids it can be ****ing hard to be the "normal" one in a family focused on problems...

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm all for getting her cards, computer programs, anything. Turn her into a profit machine!

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i have dealt with many children with autism in various stages there are many different programs out there to help her.
The one thing that has always stuck with me is that you need to have patience... its frustrating for you, the key is to let them have fun and learn.. too much too fast just doesnt work. She will get through this as will you, but its a long tough road.. i wish you and your family luck

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
The one thing that has always stuck with me is that you need to have patience... its frustrating for you, the key is to let them have fun and learn.. too much too fast just doesnt work. She will get through this as will you, but its a long tough road.. i wish you and your family luck
The chick I knew, her son was around 2 and could only scream and hit most of the time, but was the coolest and happiest boy ever some of the time. I thought her 6 year old daughter (confused by losing her dad and dealing with her little brother) suffered the most...

It sounds like your daughter is in a better condition.

If a mod could set up a donation thread dedicated to a cure for Autism, I will be glad to donate.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
ah and dont forget about your other kids it can be ****ing hard to be the "normal" one in a family focused on problems...
I absolutely second this. My wife was born into a family where her older brother was autistic, and her parents were so supportive of her brother that it made her feel... like the one who wasn't normal. She didn't know all of the state capitals by age 4 (or whatever), she had friends and expected to be able to go visit them, etc. This was all compounded by the fact that no one would admit that her brother did have special needs. It wasn't actually until she was in her 20s that her parents actually admitted that he was autistic, and had been diagnosed 15 years earlier. The rest of the extended family (aside from the few who do actually know the truth) just think that he's a little weird, has trouble finding a job, and is still living at home. To me it's depressing to hear that since there's a REASON for all of those things, but no one will admit it. But coming on here and talking about it shows just how much you're different than her parents..............

So I'm pretty supportive of any future ridemonkey fundraising go towards autism research.

Oh, and be prepared to get your ass kicked in Jeopardy every night. EVERY NIGHT!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
good luck with your little girl Mike...shes a cutie.
if shes reading on a 2nd grade level, shes got my beat.

their brains are like sponges when it comes to learning new things right?
its crazy that she can remember a movie she saw a plane two years ago...when she was 3!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Good luck MMike. My thoughts are with you guys.

I have been around alot of autistic kids, and what I find so strange is the range of people that are classified under that illness.
I went to high school with a kid who was the worst possible case.
He literally bounced down the halls. The kids hands were randomly fly out and pop people in the face as he walked down the hall. Screaming, yelling, and constantly spazzing. He was in the special education class, but he also had a single teacher that stayed by his side all day long as he required full time care.
And on the other end of the spectrum, this girl that I went to school with has an autistic kid, and I have had dinner with them twice before, and there is no way you would know anything is different with this kid at all. Socially or otherwise. He goes to normal classes at school and does well and so on....

It sounds like your daughter's case is really mild, and I wish you guys the best.
Having an 8 month old little girl right here by my side right now makes this even harder to hear.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I have not talked to him in a while, but the father of a friend of mine was pretty heavily involved a few years ago with funding/promoting/organizing autism research...(partially)funding the UW autism research center out of his own pocket.

At least one goal was to form a network and thus a way for researchers and doctors from across the country and around the world to be able to share success and failure of traditional as well as non-traditional treatments . Last time I talked to him, it seems like they were having significant success. He also a son with autism, and over the couple years I saw his son regularly, his condition improved SIGNIFICANTLY...something they attributed in a large part to changes they made in his diet amont other things. His changes were truely amazing.

Here is some info about what they are doing:
http://www.autismspeaks.org
http://www.autismspeaks.org/docs/sciencedocs/atn/ATN_Family_onesheet_jan_09.pdf

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
And thanks all.

To whoever asked, nope not Asperger's. That's (for the most part) obsessing over one thing to the exclusion of all others (so I'm told)....which she does not do.

We're thinking of going back to the naturopath that my wife was seeing a while back. The main raison d'etre for his practice is to treat autistic kids. He's the PhD in biochemistry. Apparently he's had very good success. Too bad he's $200/hr......

She's starting kindergarten in Sept. (she's been doing preschool this year). She will have a shadow at least for the first little while to see how she does.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Thanks....

It's quite amazing.....
My cousin's son has Autism as well, sounds like a more sever case than you daughter has. He was diagnosed early and the schooling, and constant attention has done wonders.

He too loves you tube and can work thar intarweb better than PSP. He is a lot of work for my cousin and like it was said before it's a mixed blessing. He's always the life of the party too!! He's a good kid and thats the most important part.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
good luck with your little girl Mike...shes a cutie.
if shes reading on a 2nd grade level, shes got my beat.

their brains are like sponges when it comes to learning new things right?
its crazy that she can remember a movie she saw a plane two years ago...when she was 3!
if an average 5 yr old's brain is like a sponge, your girls brain, mmike, is like sham wow! :D

best of luck to you mmike, i'm a firm believer that exceptional children are given to exceptional parents.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
All the best there mate, I'm sure all will be well. 90% of what you describe seems like 90% of the kids I teach, 90% of the time.